Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone remember a Yankee reliever named Fred Beane

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Maybe Robert Plant, but it's difficult to tell what he actually remembers these days
    The last time I saw him he looked very tired.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by ymike673 View Post
      You got your years mixed up. The series you are referring to is from August of 1972. Yankees took 3 out of 4 from Detroit. Sanchez won a game with a 2 run single. The Thursday night finale drew 39,000+ which was a huge crowd back then. Yankees won that game 1-0 with Lyle striking out Ike Brown with the bases loaded in the 9th inning to win it.
      oh yes --- This series was buzzing with excitement. I was there for game 4 when Sparky gave up the double to start the 9th and got out of the inning. Amazing buzz in the Real stadium. The K by Lyle made the seats vibrate. The next day the Daily News headline read: YANKS ROAR 1-0.

Billy Martin, then managing Detroit, said his Tigers would "put the Yanks back where they belong."
      "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Comment

There is a game from June of 1970 at Baltimore that they lost in the 9th that I watched on PIX that bothers me even now.
        YES YES YES...was that the Frank Robinson game winner in the 9th?
        "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

Comment

Originally posted by hardrain View Post
          YES YES YES...was that the Frank Robinson game winner in the 9th?
          Frank Robinson led off the 9th with a HR to make the score 8-7.. It was a see saw game and then McDaniel let the Orioles load the bases. He then struck out the next two batters and. It was Buford who came up. Lindy had him.0-2 and then Don hit a grounder that just got through the infield to win the game 9-8.

Comment

oh yes --- This series was buzzing with excitement. I was there for game 4 when Sparky gave up the double to start the 9th and got out of the inning. Amazing buzz in the Real stadium. The K by Lyle made the seats vibrate. The next day the Daily News headline read: YANKS ROAR 1-0.

Billy Martin, then managing Detroit, said his Tigers would "put the Yanks back where they belong."
            The funny thing about that was Steve Kline had pitched 8 shutout innings. Back then it was actually strange to see Lyle come in to start the 9th. And it almost backfired. But the electricity in the stands that night was unreal.

Comment

The funny thing about that was Steve Kline had pitched 8 shutout innings. Back then it was actually strange to see Lyle come in to start the 9th. And it almost backfired. But the electricity in the stands that night was unreal.
              Steve Kline was Mel Stottlemyre lite. It's a shame he injured his arm and was never the same pitcher after that. (yes, pitchers had career altering arm injuries back then , too.) I think his nickname was sunshine because he always had a grin on his face.
              If you gotta a problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta a problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate.

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
                Steve Kline was Mel Stottlemyre lite. It's a shame he injured his arm and was never the same pitcher after that. (yes, pitchers had career altering arm injuries back then , too.) I think his nickname was sunshine because he always had a grin on his face.
                As I remember that game against the Tigers was one of Steve's last really good pitched games. His arm troubles started up soon after that game.

Comment

Frank Robinson led off the 9th with a HR to make the score 8-7.. It was a see saw game and then McDaniel let the Orioles load the bases. He then struck out the next two batters and. It was Buford who came up. Lindy had him.0-2 and then Don hit a grounder that just got through the infield to win the game 9-8.

I recall a heartbreaker from, I believe, 1970. The Yanks won 93 games that year! Of course the Orioles won 108. It was 2-2 in the 9th at Memorial Stadium when Frank launched one off Aker. Or at least I remember it that way. The Orioles was unbeatable back then. The depth of the bench!

Comment

I recall a heartbreaker from, I believe, 1970. The Yanks won 93 games that year! Of course the Orioles won 108. It was 2-2 in the 9th at Memorial Stadium when Frank launched one off Aker. Or at least I remember it that way. The Orioles was unbeatable back then. The depth of the bench!
                    The 1970 team was a special favorite of mine. That was the year they first turned the corner, and I got a sense of what a good Yankee team was going to look like.
                    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
                    - Barry Manilow

Comment

I am sure Frank won a game like that but it was not in 1970. Only 9th inning loss at Memorial Stadium that season was the one I described.

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                        The 1970 team was a special favorite of mine. That was the year they first turned the corner, and I got a sense of what a good Yankee team was going to look like.
                        Same for me. Bullpen was terrible in 1971 but things got better after that. If not for the Orioles being out of this world the Yankees might well have taken the division in 1970.

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                          Once Thurman came up you could see things starting to turn around.
                          If you gotta a problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta a problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate.

Comment

I remember the immortal Colter Bean...

#FreeColterBean

Comment

Working...
                            X