2021 Trade Deadline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NelsonMuntz View Post

They have a $186 million payroll and are paying Patrick Corbin $26 million a year. I wouldn’t call that cheap. Scherzer is 37 and a pending free agent so it’s smart of them to trade him. I guess they figured they could get a better return for Turner by trading him this year rather than waiting until his final year of team control. They could always resign him as a free agent. I think they’re just being smart and realistic.
    Why trade Turner at all?

Comment

The last.4 trade deadlines we were begging Cashman to make moves like this. He sat on his hands and complained about high prices. This year when they are potentially the 4th best team in their own division he decides to go for it. Unbelievable.
      Because they're only three games out of a playoff spot. Thzt's why. It's not like they're giving up top of the line prospects for half year rentals.

Comment

Sigh, the Rizzo trade is a very un-Cashman move and I hate it. Hope there is more to that trade than what's been reported.

I'm also ready to cringe at us trading away Voit for not nearly enough. Could also result in an overpay for a Rizzo extension.

What a waste of resources. Will help somewhat this year but potentially really hurt over time.

Comment

Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
          Why trade Turner at all?
          Surprised too. I don't follow the Dodgers but they are Buyers. This is what sellers do... One year left before FA and he is one of their best players and going to get a raise (I like it smart move?). Maybe Dodgers wanted him too or this year and next (why not?). Unreal. This is a Blockbuster. Edit Corey Seager is on the 60 day DL and Turner is very good. I don't know his injury but this may be the answer.
          Last edited by bucky; 07-29-21, 09:12 PM. Reason: Including Turner

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

Agreed. It’s everything the Yankees should be with a strong GM in place.
            And better ownership. The Dodgers were at $256,075,907 before this. The Yankees are second at $201,694,909. Even with a real GM, Hal wouldn't approve more spending if the Yankees were at $256,075,907.

Andrew Friedman is like the poor Italian immigrants who came to the United States and added tons of meats cheeses to all their dishes because they could.

Comment

Originally posted by matt2351 View Post

And better ownership. The Dodgers were at $256,075,907 before this. The Yankees are second at $201,694,909. Even with a real GM, Hal wouldn't approve more spending if the Yankees were at $256,075,907.

Andrew Friedman is like the poor Italian immigrants who came to the United States and added tons of meats cheeses to all their dishes because they could.
              Hal doesn’t get a pass, but a good GM could field a world championship caliber team for $200 million. Look at what Preller has done in SD for the same money Cashman squandered on this train wreck.
              "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

Hal doesn’t get a pass, but a good GM could field a world championship caliber team for $200 million. Look at what Preller has done in SD for the same money Cashman squandered on this train wreck.
                Don't disagree, but what the Dodgers are doing is next level. It's like old school Yankees. Just eyeballing, the biggest payroll discrepancy I could find in the last 20 years between the first and second highest payrolls was in 2005. The Yankees had $205,938,439 and the Red Sox $121,311,945. In today's dollars those figures adjust to $286,495,904.37 and $168,765,848.48. What the Yankees were doing back then is unreal now. The Yankees themselves are spending $84,800,995 less in adjusted dollars than they spend in 2005. Heck they are spending $4million less without adjusting and 2021 dollars ain't what they were in 2005.

My point is, yes a better GM could do a lot more with $200 million, but the Yankees have also massively cut payroll over the last 15-20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Benefactor View Post

Because they're only three games out of a playoff spot. Thzt's why. It's not like they're giving up top of the line prospects for half year rentals.
                  Ok so what was his reason for doing nothing the last 4 trade deadlines?
                  David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Comment

Just add Schwarber as well.

Comment

They should have been a heck of a lot better off with $200M so that these trades put them over the top and one of the favorites- not gave them a good chance to make the wildcard.
                      A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Comment

Ok so what was his reason for doing nothing the last 4 trade deadlines?
                        Maybe he felt more pressure this year after getting hammered by the media and after many of his offseason moves haven't panned out. Maybe Cashman felt a little uncomfortable for the first time in a long time.

Comment

Schwarber to Boston
                          Assistant to the Manager
                          Analytical Department of Analytics

Comment

Originally posted by spanky185 View Post
                            Schwarber to Boston
                            Wow. Got nothing in return.

Comment

Originally posted by philleotardo View Post

Wow. Got nothing in return.
                              Agreed. Frustrating.