2021 Trade Deadline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ymike673 View Post
    So they traded Cessa and Wilson to cut a few million in salary so they could add salary by trading for better players at the deadline. Then they did not add any salary. Hal must be ecstatic.
    Just makes no sense to acquire Gallo and Rizzo and NOT trade Voit for another arm. I do believe Cashman had to have tried, but it just didn't pan out. Even though we have Gallo / Rizzo--which I love--this was not enough IMO.

We needed another strong BP arm at least, and would've preferred a better SP than Heaney. Instead, we acquired Heaney, Holmes, Rodriguez all in the name of "potential" and "good analytics." Yeah Severino / Kluber come back in 3 weeks, but 3 weeks is a long ways away if you want to ensure not only a playoff spot, but another championship to go with it. If you're going to acquire Gallo/Rizzo for some decent prospects, you better make sure we make the playoffs. We are not guaranteed anything when Sevvy/Kluber come back. I like the Gallo/Rizzo acquisitions, and how Cashman was able to avoid paying their salary + not give up top 13 prospects was brilliant, but it just wasn't enough. Why do we always seem to put so much emphasis on big bats and settle for subpar arms?

And now the logical assumption is we need to play Stanton in left so Voit can DH, but from the sound of it, they don't even intend to do that? How obvious is it that the plan was to trade Voit for a solid arm, and yet, here he is without a 1B job and now our over qualified 2nd DH. So now instead I'll see Wade / Gardner / Allen / Odor over a soon-to-be healthy Voit? God help us...

/rant

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeBluedevil View Post
      If anyone can sit here and say this team isn't better after adding Rizzo and Gallo for little to nothing is an idiot or just so pissed with Cash they can't see the forest for the trees.

I do wish we could have put a deal together to add Berrios.
      This is a pretty reductive way of assessing our trade deadline. Are we better with Gallo and Rizzo? Probably. Is it enough to make a mediocre team that is 3.5 GB for the 2nd Wild Card spot a legitimate World Series contender? That remains to be seen but it’s pretty unlikely. Cashman already said he expects Gardner to get the majority of starts in CF so that’s one major hole that wasn’t addressed. Adding Heaney does nothing to improve the rotation. The bullpen is arguably weaker with Cessa gone (yes he was a frequent punching bag here but he was actually one of our more consistent relievers this year).
      David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Comment

The equivalent of a squirrel running into the road, the going left, then going right, then getting hit by a bus. Going all the way left would have been fine. Going all the way right would have been fine. The middle is the worst.
        A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Comment

Let this sink in for a moment:

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

If anyone can sit here and say this team isn't better after adding Rizzo and Gallo for little to nothing is an idiot or just so pissed with Cash they can't see the forest for the trees.

I don't think anyone is saying the team isn't better today than it was a few days ago That doesn't mean we have to be satisfied with this organization's fuller body of work on the season or the years leading up to this point. It also doesn't mean that we have to applaud while this flawed team literally sells prospects to stay under the CBT, while a current powerhouse like LAD blows past it.

Unless you're a go-out-in-a-blaze-of-glory guy, you might want to tone it down a smidge. I don't mind your comments in the least but that is the type of stuff that is frowned upon round these here parts.

Also, agree with you on Berrios. Wanted him (and Buxton) badly.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePinStripes View Post
              The equivalent of a squirrel running into the road, the going left, then going right, then getting hit by a bus. Going all the way left would have been fine. Going all the way right would have been fine. The middle is the worst.
              My exact thoughts in a great analogy. Well put.

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
                My exact thoughts in a great analogy. Well put.
                I must say, there was a time where we constantly butted heads but you’ve become one of my favorite posters here over the years. I often find myself nodding in agreement with you and appreciating your insights.
                "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

Originally posted by pWi View Post

Just makes no sense to acquire Gallo and Rizzo and NOT trade Voit for another arm. I do believe Cashman had to have tried, but it just didn't pan out. Even though we have Gallo / Rizzo--which I love--this was not enough IMO.

We needed another strong BP arm at least, and would've preferred a better SP than Heaney. Instead, we acquired Heaney, Holmes, Rodriguez all in the name of "potential" and "good analytics." Yeah Severino / Kluber come back in 3 weeks, but 3 weeks is a long ways away if you want to ensure not only a playoff spot, but another championship to go with it. If you're going to acquire Gallo/Rizzo for some decent prospects, you better make sure we make the playoffs. We are not guaranteed anything when Sevvy/Kluber come back. I like the Gallo/Rizzo acquisitions, and how Cashman was able to avoid paying their salary + not give up top 13 prospects was brilliant, but it just wasn't enough. Why do we always seem to put so much emphasis on big bats and settle for subpar arms?

And now the logical assumption is we need to play Stanton in left so Voit can DH, but from the sound of it, they don't even intend to do that? How obvious is it that the plan was to trade Voit for a solid arm, and yet, here he is without a 1B job and now our over qualified 2nd DH. So now instead I'll see Wade / Gardner / Allen / Odor over a soon-to-be healthy Voit? God help us...

/rant
                  I actually like that they kept Voit because of the pressure it puts on the organization to play Stanton in the OF with Judge and Gallo. Its our best team. Stanton back to the OF is something they should've done a while ago, but they never had the roster to force the issue. This is that roster and that situation that forces the urgency to win games and do what it takes. If Stanton holds up well maybe we'll see more of it going forward.

Plus I think its foolish to sell Voit in the middle of a bad injury prone season. Sure, I guess if you think this is the norm for Voit going forward, fine, but I think it would be selling at a low point. He wasn't returning a significant upgrade in CF or the rotation, better to keep him.

Comment

Originally posted by primetime714 View Post

I actually like that they kept Voit because of the pressure it puts on the organization to play Stanton in the OF with Judge and Gallo. Its our best team. Stanton back to the OF is something they should've done a while ago, but they never had the roster to force the issue. This is that roster and that situation that forces the urgency to win games and do what it takes. If Stanton holds up well maybe we'll see more of it going forward.

Plus I think its foolish to sell Voit in the middle of a bad injury prone season. Sure, I guess if you think this is the norm for Voit going forward, fine, but I think it would be selling at a low point. He wasn't returning a significant upgrade in CF or the rotation, better to keep him.
                    I agree - I feared that they would sell really low on Voit. They still might unfortunately in the offseason.

Like you said, I hope they will consider Voit at DH and Stanton in the OF. Based on what Cashman said, that doesn't seem to be the plan (he said Gardner was the planned CF based on what others are reporting- I didn't see or hear the quote).

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

I must say, there was a time where we constantly butted heads but you’ve become one of my favorite posters here over the years. I often find myself nodding in agreement with you and appreciating your insights.
                      False1 or me, lol
                      A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

I'm sure we'll find ways to butt heads again sooner or later, but even at those times our disagreements are just of opinion. Two die hard Yankee fans passionate on a variety of subjects. I've never taken anything personally and hope you haven't either. But yes I've also noticed we're seeing things more similarly of late, admittedly as I think I've moved closer to your historical take LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePinStripes View Post

False1 or me, lol
                          oh, fair question LOL. I think Zim meant me though given the reference to past head butting. If not, my comments still stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Strategerie View Post

I agree - I feared that they would sell really low on Voit. They still might unfortunately in the offseason.

Like you said, I hope they will consider Voit at DH and Stanton in the OF. Based on what Cashman said, that doesn't seem to be the plan (he said Gardner was the planned CF based on what others are reporting- I didn't see or hear the quote).
                            Yea, we'll see on CF. Its encouraging to see Judge in CF though 2 days in row without the DH. I think Voit comes back strong and forces his way into the lineup it creates a scenario similar to what we're seeing now in Miami where he forces the issue. So yes for now Cashman sees Gardner as the CF because Voit is still injured and because frankly injuries may keep happening and their ridiculous rest schedule will continue to have Gardner out there frequently, but if you have Voit coming back and hitting like he has the last several years there's no way you're not putting him in the lineup frequently even if it means resting Stanton more frequently to allow him to play the OF. But we need that scenario to come to fruition and last first so until that point Gardner is the CF.

Comment

Originally posted by primetime714 View Post

I'm a huge Voit fanboi so I was concerned they were going to move him for the sake of moving him. My offseason with would be for the Yankees to find a way to move Stanton and slot Voit in at DH while signing a FA like Rizzo or Freeman. Voit hits LHP, RHP, hits situationally... he's legit and will be reasonably priced the next few years (especially if he's FT DH).

That said, if they can't move Stanton or if he can't be a regular OF again, I would have been ok with a Berrios trade involving Voit. They almost have to move him if Stanton is going to be the DH to get his glove off the diamond and also to reduce his injury risk.

Comment

Blue Jays overpaid for Berrios by a lot too in my opinion. Berrios is a nice number 3 on a championship contender maybe a number 2 with the right supporting cast, they paid up almost as if he was an ace. Yankees couldn't have realistically matched that package without making an absolutely awful trade.

Comment

Working...
                                X