Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Trade Deadline Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by NelsonMuntz View Post

    I concur. I'm not even that high on Floria but I would much rather see him in the lineup every day than Gardner.
    But what if he hits .190 instead of Gardner's .197? A lot of risk here. This is a championship caliber team- not auditions.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

    Comment


      #32
      If Cashman is determined to get a SS, go for Turner instead of Story

      Comment


        #33
        I like the trade for Gallo, especially as restructured without the younger prospects.
        I have pretty much given up on this luxury tax strangled and snake bitten season. But not on next season, assuming Hal is ready to spend, hopefully for Seager.
        None of the four traded would have helped much nextyear and they have two better infield prospects.
        Boone will be gone next year, barring some miracle recovery this year. (And Gardner next year, LOL. He is gone.)

        Comment


          #34
          So which prospects are we actually sending to Texas? It seems like the list has changed a number of times.
          David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

          Comment


            #35
            I would like the Gallo trade if I trusted the Yankees to maximize his value. They're probably going to stick him in LF and play Gardner in CF the rest of the way or perhaps even flip the two with Gallo in CF and Gardner in LF. Now if you replace Gardner and go with Florial/Allen/hopefully revitalized Frazier or even a trade for another OF or even Stanton actually playing some OF then you've got something.

            Also next year I think they'll continue to use him in LF when he should probably be the starting CF (unless Florial is ready for big things).

            Knowing the Yankees they'll probably turn him into an injury prone DH somehow though.

            That said I don't think we gave up a TON for him. Some nice bats going to Texas, but likely nothing too debilitating as far as the short or long term construction of the team. Plus they needed to clear some of these guys for future roster management. The 40 man roster has become too clogged and while this doesn't immediately clear space it does for the future. They need to start picking a few high upside projects and trade the rest. This trade helps to accomplish that.

            Comment


              #36
              Wait... everyone is assuming Gallo will play LF? Am I being naive/overly optimistic that he would play CF?

              Our best lineup is Gallo in center and Stanton in left. Voit/Miggy/Sanchez at DH. I don't even see how this is debatable.

              If Gardner persists I will lose my mind.

              Comment


                #37
                The trade and the excessive use of Gardner are two different topics. I wish we could just forget about him now.

                But any rational fan knows Gardner won’t be here next year. I don’t know whether Gallo is adequate for every day CF. I would be happy to see him in LF with Florial competing with Hicks for CF. Frazier may still compete next year. OF should be fine now next year.

                But they will need another IF plus bat. Torres mysterious decline is one major reason for this team not meeting expectations.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by rajah View Post
                  The trade and the excessive use of Gardner are two different topics. I wish we could just forget about him now.

                  But any rational fan knows Gardner won’t be here next year. I don’t know whether Gallo is adequate for every day CF. I would be happy to see him in LF with Florial competing with Hicks for CF. Frazier may still compete next year. OF should be fine now next year.

                  But they will need another IF plus bat. Torres mysterious decline is one major reason for this team not meeting expectations.
                  Gallo has played very well in CF by all reports.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by ThePinStripes View Post

                    But what if he hits .190 instead of Gardner's .197? A lot of risk here. This is a championship caliber team- not auditions.
                    The risk is Gardner himself because there is no 'what if' for him. He's hitting .194 and he's starting for a 'championship caliber team'.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by Mixwell View Post
                      Wait... everyone is assuming Gallo will play LF? Am I being naive/overly optimistic that he would play CF?

                      Our best lineup is Gallo in center and Stanton in left. Voit/Miggy/Sanchez at DH. I don't even see how this is debatable.

                      If Gardner persists I will lose my mind.
                      I believe when I see it if Gallo plays CF for the Yankees. Stanton was a decent OF defensively by all reports before joining the Yankees, yet Cashman thinks he's a full time DH. I wouldn't give any benefits of the doubt to the Yankees when we talk about defense.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Looking at some of Gallo's numbers - strikeout % is down, walk % is up, hitting balls to center and left are up and Batting Average on balls in play is highest since 2019. starting to get really excited. If he can come in and be what Giambi was his first two years + the GG defense, that would be huge.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by kan_t View Post

                          I believe when I see it if Gallo plays CF for the Yankees. Stanton was a decent OF defensively by all reports before joining the Yankees, yet Cashman thinks he's a full time DH. I wouldn't give any benefits of the doubt to the Yankees when we talk about defense.
                          You're right. I can't believe I let myself jump to the proper conclusion. I really hate Cashman.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            I think the biggest thing to ask and really should be the only topic being discussed is what will John Sterling's HR call be?

                            Gallo! Hits one not Shallow! Ohhhhh Joey, he's so showey!

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by TexasYank23 View Post
                              Looking at some of Gallo's numbers - strikeout % is down, walk % is up, hitting balls to center and left are up and Batting Average on balls in play is highest since 2019. starting to get really excited. If he can come in and be what Giambi was his first two years + the GG defense, that would be huge.
                              Just to be clear, Giambi's offensive numbers for those first two years were 82 homers, 229 RBIs, .283 BA, .423 OBP, .987 OPS, and 160 OPS+. Gallo is a lifetime .211 hitter with an OBP of .336 and an OPS of .833.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Would the Pirates' Richard Rodriguez be a good addition to the bullpen? I kind of think so and he's got less than $1M on his contract - shouldn't cost much.

                                I'd like more depth.
                                "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X