Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by ThePinStripes View Post

    Not good at scouting
    When they get a good player, they can't develop him
    They make poor use of FA money
    and when players get here they ruin them



    What exactly is this front office's strength?
    Messaging

    Comment


      Originally posted by Mixwell View Post

      Messaging
      And massaging their egos.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

        Well, yes. This is why the prospect hoarding has worked out so horribly in the first place - because they’ve ruined virtually all of their top prospects anyway.

        Heads should have rolled over what they did to Deivi alone.
        You're absolutely right, Zimmer. I think they're on the verge of ruining any prospect with potential. Hell. I saw where they let go Tom Milone, a left-handed hitting OF who's played CF and has hit .280 at AA for two years straight and was hitting .300, I believe, for a span of games at AAA before being weirdly demoted back to AA. Yes, maybe he's one of those AAAA guys, but never having been given any decent chance to show what he could do at AAA (better than Florial on the offensive side at least?), out the door Cashman and his brilliant (sic) scouts send him before we know if he's indeed one of those AAAA guys. Sad, really. This team used to develop and promote talented players. Instead, they now hang around with a Gardner in lieu of anyone younger.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Mixwell View Post

          They could acquire 8 Mike Trouts and I still would not want my pitchers throwing to Gary Sanchez. Getting rid of him should be the absolute #1 priority of the offseason. By any means possible, just unload. He's not a major league catcher. Period.
          I agree, I'm at the level of I'd take replacement level production or lower to do this. If my only two options were Sanchez/Higgy or Higgy/Sands/Breaux/Minor league free agents, I'd take the latter. Sanchez at his arb figure is an overpay, if you erased what he did in 2016/17 that would be obvious to everyone. Try to trade him before then in case a team like Miami wants to try their luck with him and secure him on a 1 year deal before he hits FA, but otherwise run away. Even in a weak FA market there are clear low cost upgrades in Pina and Gomes. And they could've had Barnhardt for next to nothing but his salary.

          Although to SJB's point if they do everything else right (Top end SS, Top end Starter, Rizzo) I'd give the front office a pass on holding onto Sanchez. It'd be for sure his last chance too, so presumably his leash would be shorter than in past years and Higgy would take over if there's no improvement.

          Comment


            Originally posted by ThePinStripes View Post

            Not good at scouting
            When they get a good player, they can't develop him
            They make poor use of FA money
            and when players get here they ruin them



            What exactly is this front office's strength?
            Making excuses

            Comment


              This is where I think the Yankees screwed up again. I would have rather given Harper or Machado a 300 million contract than any of these shortstops. When I look at Correa, Story, or Seager, I see very good players but not elite. These guys aren't Arod in their prime or even close to Tatis. Harper and Machado will probably live up to their contracts, I worry Correa, Story and Seager won't. Just poor planning by the Yankees again.
              [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
              [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
              [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
              [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
              [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

              Comment


                Originally posted by ppa79 View Post
                This is where I think the Yankees screwed up again. I would have rather given Harper or Machado a 300 million contract than any of these shortstops. When I look at Correa, Story, or Seager, I see very good players but not elite. These guys aren't Arod in their prime or even close to Tatis. Harper and Machado will probably live up to their contracts, I worry Correa, Story and Seager won't. Just poor planning by the Yankees again.
                Don't even get me started on Harper.

                I wanted him so bad in '18 and he just had a monster season in Philadelphia carrying that sorry franchise on his back.
                There's no question he would have changed the course of this franchise for the better.
                "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

                Comment


                  Originally posted by primetime714 View Post

                  I agree, I'm at the level of I'd take replacement level production or lower to do this. If my only two options were Sanchez/Higgy or Higgy/Sands/Breaux/Minor league free agents, I'd take the latter. Sanchez at his arb figure is an overpay, if you erased what he did in 2016/17 that would be obvious to everyone. Try to trade him before then in case a team like Miami wants to try their luck with him and secure him on a 1 year deal before he hits FA, but otherwise run away. Even in a weak FA market there are clear low cost upgrades in Pina and Gomes. And they could've had Barnhardt for next to nothing but his salary.

                  Although to SJB's point if they do everything else right (Top end SS, Top end Starter, Rizzo) I'd give the front office a pass on holding onto Sanchez. It'd be for sure his last chance too, so presumably his leash would be shorter than in past years and Higgy would take over if there's no improvement.
                  If they do everything else right you could argue holding Sanchez would be even more foolish. Everything else right means they're exceeding the CBT by a good margin. No need to exacerbate that with an enormously overpaid catcher who once upon a time looked like an offensive force. It's clear that he will not consistently be that guy again, and his defense is a massive problem.

                  Honestly, I worry that the Yankees will do the same "one more chance" strategy with Gleyber and end up overpaying for what he offers and depleting any trade value he may have.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by newhampfan View Post

                    I agree with Williams. The hell with giving up on a Dominguez before he's even had a chance to prove' he's no Mantle. That's crazy thinking, imo. Come on. At least give one or two other + prospects to get this mythical one-year Oakland first baseman--"but no more, Billy Beane." At least consider the not unlikely possibility that Rizzo has at least two to three more years of plus INF defense and positive LH hitting in Yankee Stadium offense--again imo. Why "give away the farm" (or possible future--NO future is guaranteed, for pete's sake, but one has to take one's chances) for a player with one great season? Olson's so far has a career .255-ish avg--roughly the same as our endlessly mediocre Gardner's. No doubt he's better than the latter, but while Rizzo may be on his down-side age-wise, I believe he can consistently hit very well given our RH-powered lineup, esp. in the Stadium. George, who made more than his share of fan-impulsed mistakes, would've gone for Olson on such slim evidence. But this is one (if only) the single instance when Hal should insist on possibly signing a CF like Marte instead of a minor-league-depleting 1B like Olson when you likely have a cheaper Rizzo alternative.
                    But you’re not giving up on Dominguez, you’re getting the player that you hope Dominguez becomes. Reynolds is already a mantle type player who will hit for even more power at the stadium plus we has plus speed and defense, even listen to the guy talk he sounds like mantle. If you could acquire him and put him second behind dj and in front of judge - that alone would drastically change the lineup

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by TexasYank23 View Post

                      But you’re not giving up on Dominguez, you’re getting the player that you hope Dominguez becomes. Reynolds is already a mantle type player who will hit for even more power at the stadium plus we has plus speed and defense, even listen to the guy talk he sounds like mantle. If you could acquire him and put him second behind dj and in front of judge - that alone would drastically change the lineup
                      Reynolds is not anywhere near Mantle. By age 26 Mickey had already had 7 seasons with an OPS+ over 144 (162, 145, 158, 180, 210, 221, 188).
                      Reynolds has had 1. This past year at 146.
                      Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

                      Comment


                        https://twitter.com/volpeszn/status/...635330051?s=21

                        voit, urshela, Frazier, andujar all expected to be traded or non tendered before the CBA per Sherman

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by TexasYank23 View Post
                          https://twitter.com/volpeszn/status/...635330051?s=21

                          voit, urshela, Frazier, andujar all expected to be traded or non tendered before the CBA per Sherman
                          Urshela, huh?

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by False1 View Post
                            If they do everything else right you could argue holding Sanchez would be even more foolish. Everything else right means they're exceeding the CBT by a good margin. No need to exacerbate that with an enormously overpaid catcher who once upon a time looked like an offensive force. It's clear that he will not consistently be that guy again, and his defense is a massive problem.

                            Honestly, I worry that the Yankees will do the same "one more chance" strategy with Gleyber and end up overpaying for what he offers and depleting any trade value he may have.
                            Exactly. And agree on Gleyber which is why I've said I'd happily move him this offseason if someone values him still as a top young player and is willing to give up a better player with lesser control. So I don't think the A's would have any interest in Gleyber, but if a 3rd team was in the mix I'd happily move him in a deal for Olson for example.

                            Hopefully the new hitching coach though can work some magic with Gleyber, I'm optimistic because of the impact Blake had. Still I don't think Thames was that much of the problem whereas Larry was a clear problem in my view. We'll see I guess.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by TexasYank23 View Post
                              https://twitter.com/volpeszn/status/...635330051?s=21

                              voit, urshela, Frazier, andujar all expected to be traded or non tendered before the CBA per Sherman
                              Remember the time when Andujar and Frasier actually had trade value? They'll probably be given away for peanuts ala Chance Adams. Cashman is so bad at his job.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by TexasYank23 View Post
                                https://twitter.com/volpeszn/status/...635330051?s=21

                                voit, urshela, Frazier, andujar all expected to be traded or non tendered before the CBA per Sherman
                                An absolute must...All have some value and shouldn't be non tendered.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X