Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by ojo View Post

    The team has more pressing needs than a backup 1B/DH.
    I agree. Which is why I'd make him the starting 1B.
    I'd use the trade chips for Reynolds.
    Make a run at Semian as long as his price and years don't go crazy.
    And throw $80M/2 at Sherzer. In general I'd try to over pay him in AAV for 2 years.

    Comment


      Originally posted by kan_t View Post

      2016 - Dislocated kneecap (Missing 2 months)
      2017 - Knee injury (Missing 1.5 months)
      2018 - Right ankle sprain (Missing 1.5 months)

      He's an inning eater and a very good one in one season. Other than 2019 he either couldn't stay healthy for a full season or didn't pitch well.

      I don't like Ray either. If you want to buy someone through FA market, go for Max Scherzer.
      Fair enough. I don't see Scherzer as realistic for the Yankees so while I agree he's the only great bet in this bunch, I felt like ERod was the overlooked guy by many and was someone you could depend on. I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Verlander, the upside for the price is enormous. Red hot for trading for Castillo though, that's a no brainer for me. Happy to upgrade from Monty if he needs to be the cornerstone piece.

      Comment


        Originally posted by sd. View Post

        I agree. Which is why I'd make him the starting 1B.
        I'd use the trade chips for Reynolds.
        Make a run at Semian as long as his price and years don't go crazy.
        And throw $80M/2 at Sherzer. In general I'd try to over pay him in AAV for 2 years.
        Voit's not good enough to play anywhere on the diamond. He's a DH. But we already have Gary Sanchez. (o;

        See, this is Cashman's bunch of coconuts. Frankly, I'd shock the baseball world and deal Aaron Judge for a cost-controlled, elite CF. Go re-up Rizzo, and put Stanton in RF.

        This "Aaron Judge is the face of the franchise" talk is nonsense. The Yankees haven't won jack in more than a decade.
        “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

        Comment


          Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

          This, plus his salary gives Cashman the financial flexibility to make additional upgrades that likey are not be possible if you sign Freeman or Rizzo.
          IMO getting Olson (and I'm hoping Manaea) is the key to signing Seager. Add those two to the lineup and they might be able "overlook" the other offensive and defensive shortcomings.

          Comment


            New York Yankees hire ex-Mets manager Luis Rojas as 3B coach

            1927 Yankees.

            Comment


              Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

              IMO getting Olson (and I'm hoping Manaea) is the key to signing Seager. Add those two to the lineup and they might be able "overlook" the other offensive and defensive shortcomings.
              TBH, I'm intrigued by the idea of a Olson/Chapman package. You suddenly have elite D at both infield corners.
              This would also make it more palatable for Oakland to consider taking on an arb-eligible player such as either Voit or Torres in return, along with a strong package of prospects not named Jasson or Volpe.

              While Chapman's bat was abysmal in 2021, he is an elite defender at 3B and can be a massive upgrade if he can be restored to the type of hitter he was in 2018-19. I'd take the chance.
              "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

              Comment


                Originally posted by ojo View Post

                Voit's not good enough to play anywhere on the diamond. He's a DH. But we already have Gary Sanchez. (o;

                See, this is Cashman's bunch of coconuts. Frankly, I'd shock the baseball world and deal Aaron Judge for a cost-controlled, elite CF. Go re-up Rizzo, and put Stanton in RF.

                This "Aaron Judge is the face of the franchise" talk is nonsense. The Yankees haven't won jack in more than a decade.
                I'll give the Yankees a lot of grief for not spending money, but I'll never give them grief for trying to earn it.

                Aaron Judge is the face of the franchise. He's also an elite ballplayer. I wouldn't trade him, unless this roster collapses in on itself and he wants more than his value.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

                  TBH, I'm intrigued by the idea of a Olson/Chapman package. You suddenly have elite D at both infield corners.
                  This would also make it more palatable for Oakland to consider taking on an arb-eligible player such as either Voit or Torres in return, along with a strong package of prospects not named Jasson or Volpe.

                  While Chapman's bat was abysmal in 2021, he is an elite defender at 3B and can be a massive upgrade if he can be restored to the type of hitter he was in 2018-19. I'd take the chance.
                  Dude, you and I are 2022 off-season clones. I took this somewhat unpopular stance in a chat elsewhere. Trade Ursh and/or Voit for something the A's want, include that in a package for Olson/Chapman. An Olson > DJL > Seager > Chapman infield would be bomb. Olson and Chapman won't make that much more than Voit and Ursh would for the next 2 years. You save the $$ for Seager, and still have money to address SP and/or CF.

                  I think Ursh was a RIDICULOUS value find by Cashman. Was like a 4 WAR player making peanuts that Cashman found for free. I think some of the pixie dust started to wear off last year, and he's not nearly as cheap going forward. Time to move on if they can. I like Chapman as a bounce back candidate.

                  NOTE: I'm not really advocating trading Voit, but see it as an inevitability given Cashman's crazy public comments last year.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

                    I'm interested in Olson because the Yanks would be getting him in his prime - he could be better than he is now, even!
                    That's the way I see it too.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by False1 View Post
                      Dude, you and I are 2022 off-season clones. I took this somewhat unpopular stance in a chat elsewhere. Trade Ursh and/or Voit for something the A's want, include that in a package for Olson/Chapman. An Olson > DJL > Seager > Chapman infield would be bomb. Olson and Chapman won't make that much more than Voit and Ursh would for the next 2 years. You save the $$ for Seager, and still have money to address SP and/or CF.

                      I think Ursh was a RIDICULOUS value find by Cashman. Was like a 4 WAR player making peanuts that Cashman found for free. I think some of the pixie dust started to wear off last year, and he's not nearly as cheap going forward. Time to move on if they can. I like Chapman as a bounce back candidate.

                      NOTE: I'm not really advocating trading Voit, but see it as an inevitability given Cashman's crazy public comments last year.
                      Yeah, we're on some type of Vulcan mind-meld these last few months. LOL

                      They have an opportunity to instantly transform a major weakness (infield D) into a major strength with one trade, and the players you're acquiring won't put a major dent on your payroll.

                      Means more resources to invest in addressing SS, CF and C - just makes too much sense.

                      The potential downside of Chapman continuing his offensive struggles still makes it worth it just for his glove.
                      "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

                      Comment


                        lol, Eppler might be the Mets’ new GM. Need to get to him before the other teams do.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by False1 View Post
                          Dude, you and I are 2022 off-season clones. I took this somewhat unpopular stance in a chat elsewhere. Trade Ursh and/or Voit for something the A's want, include that in a package for Olson/Chapman. An Olson > DJL > Seager > Chapman infield would be bomb. Olson and Chapman won't make that much more than Voit and Ursh would for the next 2 years. You save the $$ for Seager, and still have money to address SP and/or CF.

                          I think Ursh was a RIDICULOUS value find by Cashman. Was like a 4 WAR player making peanuts that Cashman found for free. I think some of the pixie dust started to wear off last year, and he's not nearly as cheap going forward. Time to move on if they can. I like Chapman as a bounce back candidate.

                          NOTE: I'm not really advocating trading Voit, but see it as an inevitability given Cashman's crazy public comments last year.
                          So for an Oakland team trying to cut payroll what sweeteners do you need to add to the deal so they like Voit/Urshala contracts better than Olson/Chapman? I mean even if Oakland than later plans on flipping Voit/Ushala.

                          I mean why wouldn't Oakland looks for a prospect deal or deals directly that doesn't involve taking on players at the same positions at similar salaries?

                          I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to imagine what additional pieces you need to send Oakland that they see it as good deal for them.

                          Baseball is life;
                          the rest is just details.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
                            lol, Eppler might be the Mets’ new GM. Need to get to him before the other teams do.
                            He's been offered the job and, get this, he still hasn't accepted! LMAO

                            https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...s-yankees.html

                            4:34pm: Eppler and Cohen met face-to-face in New York recently, Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets. That meeting concluded with an offer to become the team’s new general manager, but Eppler is first traveling back home to California to weigh things with his family.
                            "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by ojo View Post

                              Voit's not good enough to play anywhere on the diamond. He's a DH. But we already have Gary Sanchez. (o;

                              See, this is Cashman's bunch of coconuts. Frankly, I'd shock the baseball world and deal Aaron Judge for a cost-controlled, elite CF. Go re-up Rizzo, and put Stanton in RF.

                              This "Aaron Judge is the face of the franchise" talk is nonsense. The Yankees haven't won jack in more than a decade.
                              I think he's good enough while he is cheap and there are other needs on the roster.

                              Sanchez isn't a good DH candidate. He may not have a defensive position he can play well but he can hit enough to DH.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

                                He's been offered the job and, get this, he still hasn't accepted! LMAO

                                https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...s-yankees.html

                                Is Steve Cohen that radioactive? There's got to be something more than the dopey tweets. I mean, GMSIII was living hell to work for and he got almost every manager/GM candidate he wanted.

                                I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X