2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

i dont dispute that they need help in the rotation, but hitting was their downfall in 2021. This needs to be a priority. Olson checks all the boxes both in the short and long term. I expect a package headlined by Peraza and Wells will do the trick.
    IF they give up Peraza for Olson, then they need to sign a good SS. If they go with a stopgap like Simmons then Olson offense will be offset by that black hole.

I hope the Yankees don't do this half-assed. If you are getting Olson then pay the money to get the SS.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by kan_t View Post

They may as well just trade Judge if they need to wait for Volpe.

Btw I think Ray should fire his agent if he couldn't get a contract with AAV around 30M. Verlander gets 25M at 39 years old coming off a major surgery and only pitched 6 innings in 2 years, while Ray is just coming off a Cy Young season at 30 years old.
      I disagree. I doubt he gets much better then Patrick Cobrin got. Who, by the way, really had a bad year. Wonder how Washington feels about the length of that contract now?

Comment

Originally posted by ppa79 View Post

IF they give up Peraza for Olson, then they need to sign a good SS. If they go with a stopgap like Simmons then Olson offense will be offset by that black hole.

I hope the Yankees don't do this half-assed. If you are getting Olson then pay the money to get the SS.
        I agree, but the trap then is that if you trade for 2 years of Olson and sign a big money SS, they're not re-signing Olson after the 2 years no matter what unless they let Judge walk next year. I'm not totally opposed to it though because they need to go all-in at some point, this half-in stuff has been frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by sjb23 View Post
          Can Domingo German, Gary Sanchez, Deivi Garcia plus $5M bring back Pablo Lopez (scheduled to get around $2M in his first year of arbitration) from the Marlins?

Then maybe sign Yan Gomes (for 1yr/$5M or 2yrs/$10M to split the catching duties with Higashioka?

Are Pablo Lopez and Yan Gomes > Domingo German and Gary Sanchez?

It would be nice if the PTBNL can be Andrew Velazquez.
          No way that's enough for Lopez, sorry. Sanchez has no/next to no value. Garcia's value has been decimated by his 2021. German doesn't have that much value. Plus they'd be looking for a hitter if they dealt Lopez. So it would probably have to start with one of our top 3 prospects unfortunately. Its possible they might be interested in a big package of players with guys like Gil, Medina and Wells.

I'd take Gomes over Sanchez though. Prefer trading for a catcher like Mitch Garver or Jacob Stallings, but I'd take Gomes.

And when I heard Wade was traded to the Angels for a PTBNL or cash, I wondered immediately if that player was Velazquez lol. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some conditions by which it was Velazquez or Cash.

Comment

Originally posted by mbn007 View Post

I disagree. I doubt he gets much better then Patrick Cobrin got. Who, by the way, really had a bad year. Wonder how Washington feels about the length of that contract now?
            I doubt any Nationals fans care about his contract length once they have won the WS and he's a key contributor for that season.

Comment

Most teams are waiting for the lockout. The lockout may even go into next season the way it is going. Even if they settle it will be right before ST and then the owners have the advantage.

If i was them i would wait as well unless some start to come off the board no reason to make the 1st jump

Comment

Originally posted by RoyWilliams View Post
                Most teams are waiting for the lockout. The lockout may even go into next season the way it is going. Even if they settle it will be right before ST and then the owners have the advantage.

If i was them i would wait as well unless some start to come off the board no reason to make the 1st jump
                If the lockout extends into the season, is the minor league season cancelled too?
                [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Comment

If they aren't gonna get a top SS, then pony up the money for Freeman. Then at least you get to keep Peraza or Volpe.
                  [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by RoyWilliams View Post

I'm really going to hate going through all these negotiations with both sides thinking about how they're going to win - all at the expense of the fan base. Both sides need to realize that this upcoming season can be a great rebound in terms of revenues generated and popularity of the game - there's absolutely no reason for either side to risk what should be a rejuvenation of the sport.
                    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

If they aren't gonna get a top SS, then pony up the money for Freeman. Then at least you get to keep Peraza or Volpe.
                      Completely agree

Comment

They may as well just trade Judge if they need to wait for Volpe..
                        Which is why so many want Cashman gone. The window for this group is closing. They were built to win 2 or 3 World Series with Cole as the finishing piece and then deal with the free agency of Judge and the fallout from it. But that never happened because they didn't have enough SP so weren't as close as they thought. Now their offense is built on players who aren't as good as they thought that were propped up on expectations set on the juiced ball season. Sanchez, Torrez, Gio, and DJLM had a huge regression because of it. Frazier and Hicks might have regressed too but have such significant injuries we haven't really seen enough of them. Voit didn't like being benched and said something so now we refuse to keep him. And this team has nothing in terms of young impact talent coming up from the minors.

There isn't really a way for this team to simultaneously
                        1) Take advantage of the window of players like Judge, Stanton, and Cole before they start declining
                        2) Spend what they need to spend to fix the lineup holes, add another SP, and bolster the BP
                        3) Keep the salary structure such that they can dip under the cap every 3 or 4 years
                        4) Keep from having a lot of bad long term contracts on their back ends for declining players all being on the books at the same time 4 or 5 years from now

The only way to solve that problem is just to have a payroll that constantly increases by leaps and bounds. Cashman was only successful when he started because he inherited a great team AND the payroll increased from $59M in 1997 (the year before he took over) to $253M in his first 10 years. If you let Cashman balloon the payroll to $900M over the next 10 years, sure, he could build a winner.

Comment

Freeman's agent is looking for offer around 6 years 200M and they have turned down 5 years 135M from the Braves. To steal him from the Braves the starting point would be around 6 years 160M-180M.

Comment

If the lockout extends into the season, is the minor league season cancelled too?
                            In the past the minor leagues played during Major League work stoppages but with the minors more controlled by the Majors now it's anyones guess.

Comment

Freeman's agent is looking for offer around 6 years 200M and they have turned down 5 years 135M from the Braves. To steal him from the Braves the starting point would be around 6 years 160M-180M.
                              I'm in for that - he's shown zero signs of decline and has a very athletic body type + the type of hitter he is, he could easily be productive into in late 30s

Comment

Originally posted by ymike673 View Post

In the past the minor leagues played during Major League work stoppages but with the minors more controlled by the Majors now it's anyones guess.
                                From my understanding, the MiLB players still aren't part of the MLBPA. That might have changed and I missed it, but if they aren't then it should impact them unless the MLBPA puts pressure on them to strike or be treated like players who crossed the picket line in 1995.

Comment

Working...
                                X