• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New day, new ideas:

FA Signings:

Freddy Galvis - SS - 2 yrs/$8M/ $4M AAV
    Yan Gomes - C - 2 yrs/$10M/ $5M AAV
    Carlos Rodon - SP - 2yrs/$40M/ $20M AAV

That's about $29M AAV added to $221M = $250M. Now let's subtract Sanchez ($8M) Voit ($6M) Torres ($6M) German ($2M) and Britton ($14M) - that's $36M, bringing down the team total to about $214M. (They can trade or non-tender Sanchez Voit Torres & German. If they release Britton, does his $14M still go against the payroll tax?)

Acquire Matt Olson from the A's (expected arbitration salary is $12M) and include $6M in the deal. That's $232M with some wiggle room before reaching the next penalty tier (probably).

Here's my 2022 NY Yankees:

1 DJ LeMehieu - 2B (R)
    2 Aaron Judge - RF (R)
    3 Matt Olson - 1B (L)
    4 Giancarlo Stanton - DH - (R)
    5 Aaron Hicks - CF (R)
    6 Gio Urshela - 3B (R)
    7 Joey Gallo - LF (L)
    8 Yan Gomes - C (R)
    9 Freddy Galvis - SS (S)

Bench - Florial (L) Higashioka (R) Andujar (R) Peraza (R)

SP: Cole-Rodon-Severino-Taillon-Montgomery

Bullpen: Chapman-Loaisiga-Green-Holmes-Peralta-Rodriguez-Luetge-Cortes

Depth: King-Gill-Schmidt-Abreu

Can this roster contend for the AL East title?

"Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

• Bauer
      Bauer commented
      Editing a comment
      For Hicks, shouldn't that be (B) rather than (R)?

Swap out Olson for Freeman and use some of those trade chips for Buxton in CF and then you have something.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Unlike others, I am disappointed to see Frazier and Wade cut. Frazier still has unlimited potential. Surely he would have done better than Gardener next year. Wade provided hustle and speed and could play multiple positions.

Comment

Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

I think the goal is the second wild card (3rd if they make that a thing).
        Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by kan_t View Post

Freeman's agent is looking for offer around 6 years 200M and they have turned down 5 years 135M from the Braves. To steal him from the Braves the starting point would be around 6 years 160M-180M.
          That is fine with me. I was thinking 6 years, 180. The Yankees need to act like the Yankees. I am more comfortable giving Freeman 180 than Correa 300 million.
          [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
          [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
          [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
          [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
          [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post
            Swap out Olson for Freeman and use some of those trade chips for Buxton in CF and then you have something.
            why would You trade those chips for hicks 2.0?

Comment

Originally posted by Nyyanks1 View Post

why would You trade those chips for hicks 2.0?
              In fairness he's a much better player than Hicks but I agree he's an injury waiting to happen. He'll be on the IL by May if not sooner -- and stay there a long time.
              I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Comment

Originally posted by HelloNewman View Post
                In fairness he's a much better player than Hicks but I agree he's an injury waiting to happen. He'll be on the IL by May if not sooner -- and stay there a long time.
                He also has as big of an upside as anybody on the roster. Reynolds is cost-prohibitive. Buxton won't cost nearly as much.

Comment

I think I'm with JDPNYY. The goal is the 3rd wild card spot.
                  They really don't have any interest in winning the division.
                  I think the only way they can claim a division title during Cashman's reign is if the other 4 teams forfeit.
                  "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.”—Hitman23

Comment

Originally posted by Portbb View Post
                    Even the Rays are spending. Just offered Wander Franco record setting contract. More than Ronald Acuna got at this stage in his career. And he’s still 20.

reported as somewhere between 150-200mil. THE RAYS.
                    11 years, 185 mil. Team option for a 12th would bump it to $223 mil. Generational wealth you simply cannot walk away from, but my bet is this winds up being a team-friendly deal.

Comment

11 years, 185 mil. Team option for a 12th would bump it to $223 mil. Generational wealth you simply cannot walk away from, but my bet is this winds up being a team-friendly deal.
                      In a more certain labor time, I think his agent would turn that down.

Comment

New day, new ideas:

FA Signings:

Freddy Galvis - SS - 2 yrs/$8M/ $4M AAV
                        Yan Gomes - C - 2 yrs/$10M/ $5M AAV
                        Carlos Rodon - SP - 2yrs/$40M/ $20M AAV

That's about $29M AAV added to $221M = $250M. Now let's subtract Sanchez ($8M) Voit ($6M) Torres ($6M) German ($2M) and Britton ($14M) - that's $36M, bringing down the team total to about $214M. (They can trade or non-tender Sanchez Voit Torres & German. If they release Britton, does his $14M still go against the payroll tax?)

Acquire Matt Olson from the A's (expected arbitration salary is $12M) and include $6M in the deal. That's $232M with some wiggle room before reaching the next penalty tier (probably).

Here's my 2022 NY Yankees:

1 DJ LeMehieu - 2B (R)
                        2 Aaron Judge - RF (R)
                        3 Matt Olson - 1B (L)
                        4 Giancarlo Stanton - DH - (R)
                        5 Aaron Hicks - CF (R)
                        6 Gio Urshela - 3B (R)
                        7 Joey Gallo - LF (L)
                        8 Yan Gomes - C (R)
                        9 Freddy Galvis - SS (S)

Bench - Florial (L) Higashioka (R) Andujar (R) Peraza (R)

SP: Cole-Rodon-Severino-Taillon-Montgomery

Bullpen: Chapman-Loaisiga-Green-Holmes-Peralta-Rodriguez-Luetge-Cortes

Depth: King-Gill-Schmidt-Abreu

I think you need more impact players. Also, they will likely recoup a chunk of Britton's salary from insurance (hopefully they had a good policy in place) but you cannot subtract it from the payroll or CBT considerations.

Comment

I was soooo hoping for a Berrios/Buxton acquisition at the deadline last year. I know Buxton has injury concerns, but talent off the charts.

Comment

Rays lock up Franco for 12 years $185m. Brilliant move getting him signed for probably his best years. This comes after Braves locking up Acuna.

Yankees still playing checkers to Rays chess. I sure wish we had a 20 year old superstar worth a long contract.

Comment

Originally posted by dpbddd99 View Post
                              Unlike others, I am disappointed to see Frazier and Wade cut. Frazier still has unlimited potential. Surely he would have done better than Gardener next year. Wade provided hustle and speed and could play multiple positions.
                              Wade is no big loss IMHO. If he was an elite PR and defender I'd feel a little different, as he did have a few moments here and there where the bat showed some promise... but he was a liability in ways that you don't want your utility guy to be. Speed is only as good as how you use it.

Frazier is a bummer, I was rooting for him and I think unless his health issues that have yet to be disclosed are too much to overcome I wish him success in the future. But I wouldn't call his potential unlimited. I was seeing his upside as a good or very good hitter that was a defensive albatross. I think 2020 defense was a mirage. I'd still much prefer him to Gardner, but Gardner is not currently taking a spot on the 40 man whereas Frazier is. So that's a bit of a false choice under the circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                              X