Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    I haven’t posted much lately, but reading the threads. Do other posters keep getting the message”504 error gateway time out” in the middle of reading things??
    Yep. All the time for no apparent reason.
    "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Comment


      Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

      Just under 2 million in home attendance for the Yanks in 2021, I think I read somewhere - a normal year for this organization should be 3 million - that's a 50% increase !!

      I remember reading somewhere that attendance and concessions only account for about 40% of the organization's total revenues (retail sales & RSN revenues make up most of the remaining 60%, I think) and ultimately expenses are subtracted to leave profits.

      A strike would not only affect attendance and concessions, but the other 60% is also reduced.

      Hopefully both sides of these negotiations understand that greed and power are the downfalls of humanity (IMO).

      The Yankees drew 1,959,854 fans last season. This ranked 8th in MLB. In 2019 (the last season of the Before Times) the Yankees drew 3,304,404. This ranked 3rd in MLB. All Covid-19 restrictions were lifted at the stadium on Friday, June 19, 2021.

      Here are some interesting facts and observations about their attendance this season:
      1) When Covid-19 restrictions were lifted on June 19, their average (per game) attendance went from 16,023 to 24,696 for the month of June. I would have thought there would have been a bigger jump, but there wasn't.

      2) Their monthly average attendances were as follows:
      a) April: 10,021
      b) May: 11,968
      c) June: 21,227
      d) July: 39,078
      e) August: 35,116
      f) September: 30,420
      g) October: (only 3 games) 41,175

      3) Per game (excluding October) attendance peaked in July and went down in the two successive months. Not sure what to make of this because the team played their best ball in July and August (their best single month was August when they went 21-8). Perhaps the novelty of in-person games wore off as the season progressed? The other possibility is that Covid-19 numbers are a predictor of attendance. Covid-19 numbers in NYC bottomed out in late June and then steadily increased through July and August. Not sure if this is the case, but it is worth keeping an eye on this coming season.

      I am not sure what any of this means for next year. If I were running the team, the two things that would concern me would be the general downward trend in attendance we see from July through September and the fact that the team only ranked 8th in MLB for the season. Some of this second concern can be attributed to Covid-19 restrictions in NYC being more stringent for the first part of the season vs. other locales, but two California teams were top three in attendance this season. Dodgers were number 1 and San Diego was number 2. I know we can't compare NYC to Texas teams, but California also had some strict Covid-19 protocols.

      Comment


        Alex Dickerson who was just released by the Giants is kind of intriguing low cost role player. Lefty bat for LF for when Gallo or Judge are in CF and maybe as a pinch hitter for catcher or SS.

        Comment


          Originally posted by matt2351 View Post


          The Yankees drew 1,959,854 fans last season. This ranked 8th in MLB. In 2019 (the last season of the Before Times) the Yankees drew 3,304,404. This ranked 3rd in MLB. All Covid-19 restrictions were lifted at the stadium on Friday, June 19, 2021.

          Here are some interesting facts and observations about their attendance this season:
          1) When Covid-19 restrictions were lifted on June 19, their average (per game) attendance went from 16,023 to 24,696 for the month of June. I would have thought there would have been a bigger jump, but there wasn't.

          2) Their monthly average attendances were as follows:
          a) April: 10,021
          b) May: 11,968
          c) June: 21,227
          d) July: 39,078
          e) August: 35,116
          f) September: 30,420
          g) October: (only 3 games) 41,175

          3) Per game (excluding October) attendance peaked in July and went down in the two successive months. Not sure what to make of this because the team played their best ball in July and August (their best single month was August when they went 21-8). Perhaps the novelty of in-person games wore off as the season progressed? The other possibility is that Covid-19 numbers are a predictor of attendance. Covid-19 numbers in NYC bottomed out in late June and then steadily increased through July and August. Not sure if this is the case, but it is worth keeping an eye on this coming season.

          I am not sure what any of this means for next year. If I were running the team, the two things that would concern me would be the general downward trend in attendance we see from July through September and the fact that the team only ranked 8th in MLB for the season. Some of this second concern can be attributed to Covid-19 restrictions in NYC being more stringent for the first part of the season vs. other locales, but two California teams were top three in attendance this season. Dodgers were number 1 and San Diego was number 2. I know we can't compare NYC to Texas teams, but California also had some strict Covid-19 protocols.
          I'll take a guess re: the dip in attendance after July: The Yanks had a very disappointing 1st half, and many fans simply lost interest/faith. But the overall dip was obviously due to Covid.
          "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

          Comment


            Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

            I'll take a guess re: the dip in attendance after July: The Yanks had a very disappointing 1st half, and many fans simply lost interest/faith. But the overall dip was obviously due to Covid.
            When I first looked at the attendance numbers alone, this is what occurred to me. However, this isn't the story the data tells us, when we look at the timing of the jump in attendance, the decrease in attendance, and their record by month. The Yankees were 12-14 in April, 17-11 in May, and 12-14 in June. They were 41-39 at the end of June. If the fans were going to tune the team out, they shouldn't have then drew 39,078 fans per game in July. Instead, attendance decreased when the team had their best stretch from July-August (they were 35-17 in these two months). The only conclusions I could draw from all of this are that the resurgence of Covid-19 affected attendance and/or that folks have generally lost faith in this team and once the novelty of in-person games wore off, attendance flagged. On the first possibility, remember that a lot of folks were starting to talk about Covid-19 in the past tense towards the end of June. The resurgence in July and August really took the wind out of a lot of people's sails. The reality is that it is almost assuredly not monocausal. The most likely explanation is that it is a little bit of column a, a little bit of column b, and a little bit of column c.

            I'd be interested to hear other explanations for what we saw in these attendance numbers.

            Comment


              Originally posted by matt2351 View Post

              When I first looked at the attendance numbers alone, this is what occurred to me. However, this isn't the story the data tells us, when we look at the timing of the jump in attendance, the decrease in attendance, and their record by month. The Yankees were 12-14 in April, 17-11 in May, and 12-14 in June. They were 41-39 at the end of June. If the fans were going to tune the team out, they shouldn't have then drew 39,078 fans per game in July. Instead, attendance decreased when the team had their best stretch from July-August (they were 35-17 in these two months). The only conclusions I could draw from all of this are that the resurgence of Covid-19 affected attendance and/or that folks have generally lost faith in this team and once the novelty of in-person games wore off, attendance flagged. On the first possibility, remember that a lot of folks were starting to talk about Covid-19 in the past tense towards the end of June. The resurgence in July and August really took the wind out of a lot of people's sails. The reality is that it is almost assuredly not monocausal. The most likely explanation is that it is a little bit of column a, a little bit of column b, and a little bit of column c.

              I'd be interested to hear other explanations for what we saw in these attendance numbers.
              School's out in July, and tourism is usually at it's peak.

              It's kind of off subject though. I only started talking about attendance in relationship to what MLB as a whole is risking with even the potential of a lockout - teams should be planning for their highest revenues in two-three years, surely they don't want to risk that increased revenue !!
              "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

              Comment


                If the Yankees are not signing a big ticket ss, what you guys think of this trade with the royals nick lopez(ss), Scott Barlow and mj Melendez(c) for Gleyber Torres, Clarke schmidt, Austin wells, deivi Garcia, and estevan florial.

                bobby Witt is pretty much playing ss for the royals next year so nick Lopez is expendable high avg slap hitter with wizard like defense at short, mj Melendez is blocked by s. Perez

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Nyyanks1 View Post
                  If the Yankees are not signing a big ticket ss, what you guys think of this trade with the royals nick lopez(ss), Scott Barlow and mj Melendez(c) for Gleyber Torres, Clarke schmidt, Austin wells, deivi Garcia, and estevan florial.

                  bobby Witt is pretty much playing ss for the royals next year so nick Lopez is expendable high avg slap hitter with wizard like defense at short, mj Melendez is blocked by s. Perez
                  Interesting targets, here's my initial reaction:
                  • With Soler dealt away, I would think if the Royals were smart they'd move Perez (who is terrible behind the plate) to DH and give Melendez a shot at C.
                  • Lopez is a fine SS but not a game changer like some of the FA targets; if they are going to potentially block their own highly touted SS in the system I wouldn't do it unless for someone of Correa's / Seager's caliber.
                  • Aside from Schmidt and to a lesser degree Wells, the players going to the Royals have depreciated value; I would think if the Royals wanted to move a very good shortstop, one of their top prospects who happens to be a LH hitting C who put up a >1 OPS between AA and AAA and is strong defensively, and their closer they could probably get a better deal elsewhere.
                  I really like Melendez as a target though and would love to see Cashman figure something out there.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by False1 View Post
                    Interesting targets, here's my initial reaction:
                    • With Soler dealt away, I would think if the Royals were smart they'd move Perez (who is terrible behind the plate) to DH and give Melendez a shot at C.
                    • Lopez is a fine SS but not a game changer like some of the FA targets; if they are going to potentially block their own highly touted SS in the system I wouldn't do it unless for someone of Correa's / Seager's caliber.
                    • Aside from Schmidt and to a lesser degree Wells, the players going to the Royals have depreciated value; I would think if the Royals wanted to move a very good shortstop, one of their top prospects who happens to be a LH hitting C who put up a >1 OPS between AA and AAA and is strong defensively, and their closer they could probably get a better deal elsewhere.
                    I really like Melendez as a target though and would love to see Cashman figure something out there.
                    I totally agree with your opinion. I was thinking of having medina and pereira in the deal instead of deivi and florial but I’m acting like cash man hugging prospects lol. Also Lopez would pretty much be a stop gap until the guys are ready and then have him switch to 2b.

                    Comment


                      Sounds like Wacha to the Red Sox, which mostly makes me glad he’s not coming here.

                      Comment


                        Harper already lubing us for Cashman' imminent dumpster diving since the small-market Yankees are poor don't have money to spend:

                        https://sny.tv/articles/10-free-agen...1-22-offseason
                        "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

                        Comment


                          Baez close to signing Mets or tigers

                          Comment


                            I’d like Pederson if they hadn’t acquired Gallo. Plus, I think he turned down a 10 mil option.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
                              Harper already lubing us for Cashman' imminent dumpster diving since the small-market Yankees are poor don't have money to spend:

                              https://sny.tv/articles/10-free-agen...1-22-offseason
                              So true, and so sickening...... I really miss the "Evil Empire" approach.
                              Speak softly but carry a big stick.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Nyyanks1 View Post
                                If the Yankees are not signing a big ticket ss, what you guys think of this trade with the royals nick lopez(ss), Scott Barlow and mj Melendez(c) for Gleyber Torres, Clarke schmidt, Austin wells, deivi Garcia, and estevan florial.

                                bobby Witt is pretty much playing ss for the royals next year so nick Lopez is expendable high avg slap hitter with wizard like defense at short, mj Melendez is blocked by s. Perez
                                Makes sense with how the small market Yankees approach things now. I think the package is a bit too much though. Take Wells and one of the pitchers out of it.
                                Speak softly but carry a big stick.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X