2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matt2351 View Post

And this is by their own design. They have communicated to their fanbase (and all potential new fans) that they are a unique entity in MLB. They have heavily marketed their 27 championships and made it core to their brand identity. They not only communicate their unique history to the public, but also how this unique history informs the way they operate. They continually repeat the old stanza about expecting championships every season. Hal (unconvincingly in my estimation) communicates these things whenever he is interviewed. When these things are repeatedly conveyed to fans and those in the process of becoming fans (mostly at a very young age) it then forms part of the basis of this relationship - it is de facto an agreement upon which said fandom is contingent. Again, this isn't about spoiled fans. This is about a sustained marketing and communications program undertaken by the organization itself over many decades.

When the organization then acts in ways seen as antithetical to these communications and agreements, fans become upset - they feel they are being betrayed. I want to reiterate that being a fan is a relationship. For some folks it is one of the most intense relationships of their lives. Relationships have to work in two directions or they cease to properly function. For me (and seemingly for many other fans) the team is operating in ways that violate one of the tacit agreements upon which our fandom was forged and it is distressing.
    Hats off to this post

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Kevin Gausman and <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BlueJays</a> are gaining momentum toward a deal. <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLB</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLBNetwork</a></p>&mdash; Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1465137447881347076?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
      It’s done per MLB network.

Comment

Originally posted by Portbb View Post
        It’s done per MLB network.
        5 years/$110 million - Gausman to Jays.
        "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

Other than the Pina signing (and maybe the Kluber signing), there isn't a deal done yet that I wished the Yankees had done. I like that they are slow playing this hot market (and not succumbing, so far, to public pressure to make a move now).

I don't know what their budget is but I would guess it's $250ishM (maybe up to $270M) barring some strange new CBA outcome. There will be better deals to be had on the other end of the lockout IMO. There is plenty of time to spend whatever budget they have to spend. I am nervous about what will eventually come because I think it's likely they overreact to last year and sell low and buy high, thus jeopardizing the long-term. We shall see - will be a fascinating offseason for us which unfortunately will be marred by the lockout.

Comment

I miss the days when this organization acted with an urgency to get better after winning the World Series.

Comment

If you liked last season, you'll also like the next season.
              Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Comment

Why do people think hicks will be a fourth OF at his salary?

Comment

Rumors are that they've offered a $40M AAV, and three, maybe even four, years.

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal 19s
                  Growing indications that Scherzer is headed to Mets, sources tell @TheAthletic. NYM “making progress,” per @JoelSherman1.
                  Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Comment

Originally posted by Obnoxio View Post
                    Why do people think hicks will be a fourth OF at his salary?
                    Why do they pay Stanton $22 million to be a full time DH when he is capable of playing LF?

With that said, you’re probably right—Hicks will be the starting fielder on CF’er on opening day but the argument for Hicks as a 4th OF’er is that he’s a sunk cost with declining production and he can’t stay healthy.
                    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post
                      If you liked last season, you'll also like the next season.
                      I think early in this thread you made a parody post about how this offseason will go and it’s actually not parody. Our offseason moves are actually going to be signing Simmons, re-signing Gardner, and maybe trade for a first baseman.
                      David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Comment

Rangers still in on Seager - https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/st...950746119?s=21

Comment

As you know i am mostly on the side of wait and see but with only Cole as a top line pitcher i am kinda ticked off that Toronto who always has a #1 and a good rookie who is coming into his 2nd year and they go and replace Ray with Gausman. Now Gausman is not on my list of guys i wanted but he is a solid #2 and Cashman better have a plan. I will be very mad if they go into ST with this pitching staff. I do not worry about the team in the field. I can live with mostly what we have besides a few moves for a SS and decide what we are doing at 1B and a decent backup OF guy. BUT if they make no moves before the deadline for a top line pitcher i will not be happy.

Teams that want to make moves are doing so because i believe it is going to be a long lockout till ST at least. Cashman better make some move or bad press will come and be deserved.

Comment

With that said there is still almost 3 days left.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinner129 View Post
                              This is a very boring, unenergized organization. It's deflating watching teams getting better this early while we do nothing and see the sycophants in the press move the goalposts lower and lower every day. Boring.
                              Agree with you but I expect the PR machine and press sycophants will be out in force in late Dec through January. .

They will detail the great farm system we have and fans just need to be patient since there were no bargains in the marketplace (as if Hal doesn’t have another $100m easy to spend on the roster….of course I’d fire Cashman and spend big bucks but more wisely).

Then the kool aid fans will show up telling us how wonderful the Yankees are and that Hal is smart with his money by not spending (lol it wouldn’t surprise if the organization has folks that post here for them).

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post

Agree with you but I expect the PR machine and press sycophants will be out in force in late Dec through January. .

They will detail the great farm system we have and fans just need to be patient since there were no bargains in the marketplace (as if Hal doesn’t have another $100m easy to spend on the roster….of course I’d fire Cashman and spend big bucks but more wisely).

Then the kool aid fans will show up telling us how wonderful the Yankees are and that Hal is smart with his money by not spending (lol it wouldn’t surprise if the organization has folks that post here for them).
                                You have pretty much have outlined how this off season will play out. But there will be money to re sign Gardner so it's all good.

Comment

Working...
                                X