2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mixwell View Post

Correa means Yanks finish 2-3 in the division. Peraza means Yanks finish 3-4 in the division.

Depends on if you think there's any difference or not. Frankly, I think we as a fan base need to start shifting our mentality away from what formerly made the Yankees unique to "just another franchise". To me, they're not winning a title any time soon either way, so I'm fine with not having to pull for Correa. Let's at least enjoy the optimism of youth.
    This is a great comment on reality.
    Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Comment

Correa means Yanks finish 2-3 in the division. Peraza means Yanks finish 3-4 in the division.

Depends on if you think there's any difference or not. Frankly, I think we as a fan base need to start shifting our mentality away from what formerly made the Yankees unique to "just another franchise". To me, they're not winning a title any time soon either way, so I'm fine with not having to pull for Correa. Let's at least enjoy the optimism of youth.
      Correa alone isn't enough to move them to the top of the division, but no single player is.

On the other hand, if they sign Correa and trade for Olson, they have a shot at winning the division if they get a good performance from their starting pitching.

If this franchise is not even going to try anymore, then as a fan, I may as well pack it in once and for all.
      "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

Correa alone isn't enough to move them to the top of the division, but no single player is.

On the other hand, if they sign Correa and trade for Olson, they have a shot at winning the division if they get a good performance from their starting pitching.

If this franchise is not even going to try anymore, then as a fan, I may as well pack it in once and for all.
        I guess the question is.... How long do we wait for them to try?

Comment

Well, I'm not encouraging you to pack it in once and for all, but I think it's important to understand that championships are absolutely no longer a priority for this organization. It's 100% clear.

Believe me, it sucks. I'm a Jets fan also. I know how to have low expectations. I don't necessarily want to do that with the Yankees, who for a long time were the yin to that yang, but it is what it is. They're a team that will invest just enough on player payroll to stay competitive but never go the extra mile. Their philosophy and style of baseball are an absolute bore, even when they win. There's no interest on their part in allocating some of their plentiful resources on amateur scouting/drafting or developing kids in a way that capitalizes their talents. No respect for defense or base running. Zero respect for the brand, which they seem to have no awareness that is slowly dying - even though it's the thing that most gives them a competitive advantage.

But I love the game, and will forever have them imprinted as a part of me since childhood. I don't think I could ever stop paying attention. I'm done shelling out cash to go to games until Hal sells or dies, but I'll still watch and follow here. Maybe one or two of the kids on the farm can still blossom into a talent that makes the games enjoyable to watch again.

Comment

• Chaz
            Chaz commented
            Editing a comment
            Great post with a number of salient observations.

Why are you willing to accept an inferior product so Hal can pad his bank account when he can easily afford to sign Correa, but chooses not to because he doesn't prioritize winning?

Do you believe this is a better team with Peraza at SS instead of Correa in 2022?
          Personally, I think the are more ways to win that just signing high priced free agents to 10 year mega-contracts. The team needs to be smarter and more flexible. I don't need Hal to outspend everyone to show me he is a great owner.

Comment

If you aren’t going to outspend then you need to outsmart.
            Hal won’t and Brian can’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Obnoxio View Post
              This. 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Obnoxio View Post
                If you sign Correa and then fire Cashman the next GM is already handcuffed.

Comment

Originally posted by sd. View Post

If you sign Correa and then fire Cashman the next GM is already handcuffed.
                  You're assuming a smart GM wouldn't figure out a way to move some of the contracts that currently handcuff Cashman.

All a moot point because Cashman has job security for life. Hal will never fire him.

Fact is, the Yankees can afford easily afford a $300 million payroll - their payroll hasn't increased in 17 years.
                  What does that tell you?

Comment

Well, I'm not encouraging you to pack it in once and for all, but I think it's important to understand that championships are absolutely no longer a priority for this organization. It's 100% clear.

Believe me, it sucks. I'm a Jets fan also. I know how to have low expectations. I don't necessarily want to do that with the Yankees, who for a long time were the yin to that yang, but it is what it is. They're a team that will invest just enough on player payroll to stay competitive but never go the extra mile. Their philosophy and style of baseball are an absolute bore, even when they win. There's no interest on their part in allocating some of their plentiful resources on amateur scouting/drafting or developing kids in a way that capitalizes their talents. No respect for defense or base running. Zero respect for the brand, which they seem to have no awareness that is slowly dying - even though it's the thing that most gives them a competitive advantage.

But I love the game, and will forever have them imprinted as a part of me since childhood. I don't think I could ever stop paying attention. [bold]I'm done shelling out cash to go to games[/bold] until Hal sells or dies, but I'll still watch and follow here. Maybe one or two of the kids on the farm can still blossom into a talent that makes the games enjoyable to watch again.
                    At this stage in my life I much prefer watching the games on tv from the comfort of my sofa. Sometimes I wonder why anyone would actually go to a ballgame given the expense and hassle of it
                    You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Costco is selling for $99.00.... Two Main Level seats, two hot dogs and two drinks (select Yankee home games).

Comment

Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post
                        Costco is selling for $99.00.... Two Main Level seats, two hot dogs and two drinks (select Yankee home games).
                        Two hot dogs and two drinks are $3 at Costco.

Don't think the Yankees are worth the remaining $96 dollars.
                        Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

You're assuming a smart GM wouldn't figure out a way to move some of the contracts that currently handcuff Cashman.

All a moot point because Cashman has job security for life. Hal will never fire him.

Fact is, the Yankees can afford easily afford a $300 million payroll - their payroll hasn't increased in 17 years.
                          What does that tell you?
                          The family's free cash flow is flowing via Dividends into their respective bank accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by sd. View Post

Personally, I think the are more ways to win that just signing high priced free agents to 10 year mega-contracts. The team needs to be smarter and more flexible. I don't need Hal to outspend everyone to show me he is a great owner.
                            The bottom line is Hal does not have to outspend everyone. Hal needs to replace Cashman with a GM who will not have to outspend to win. And also replace Cashman's drafting and player development people. But of course this will never happen.

Comment

What does that tell you?
                              What it tells me is they were WAY over the top teams in terms of payroll 17 years ago but right now they are in line with them.

Contacts like the one Correa wants aren't easy to get rid of. By definition, the second he is signed, he is signed to a contract no one else was willing to give him. Look at Cole. I'm not sure the Yankees could trade him without eating a lot, even 2 years into it.

Originally posted by ymike673 View Post

The bottom line is Hal does not have to outspend everyone. Hal needs to replace Cashman with a GM who will not have to outspend to win. And also replace Cashman's drafting and player development people. But of course this will never happen.
                              Exactly. The amount they spend isn't the problem. I'm not going to kill Hal for not signing another $300M+ 10 year megadeal. I'm going to kill him for not getting rid of Cashman.

Comment

Working...
                              X