X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sjb23
    replied
    Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post

He's the poster boy from my youth of a baseball late bloomer.
    Yeah, if you ask Alexa to define "baseball late bloomer" she references Bill Robinson lol

Leave a comment:

• False1
    replied
    Was this a mL deal? I thought there was a lockout?

Leave a comment:

• ymike673
    replied
    Originally posted by hhill View Post
    New Signing-
    We got Jimmy Cordero for relief coming off TJ surgery, hoping to emulate the Luetge success from last year
    Typical Cashman. Things did work out great with Luetge so now he will just keep repeating it probably with little success.

Leave a comment:

• sjb23
    replied
    New Signing-
    We got Jimmy Cordero for relief coming off TJ surgery, hoping to emulate the Luetge success from last year
    Luetge was a great story in 2021 - He hadn't pitched in the majors since 2015 but was pretty effective. He threw 72 innings, didn't walk many (1.9 per 9 IP) and kept the ball in the ballpark.

He should get a nice raise. I'm hoping he can repeat his success in 2022.

Leave a comment:

• Zimmer's Helmet
    replied
    New Signing-
    Fully operational Death Star!

Leave a comment:

• HelloNewman
    replied
    New Signing-
    Yay??

Leave a comment:

• hhill
    replied
    New Signing-

Leave a comment:

• ymike673
    replied

He was no Bill Robinson
    Or Steve Whitaker

Leave a comment:

• fredgmuggs
    replied
    Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

Nice reference.

I vividly remember Bill Robinson circa 1967-1969 with the Yanks. There were many discussions on my street corner about who sucked more - him, Gene Michael, or Charley Smith.

I was surprised a few years later when Robinson had a few nice seasons in a row for the Pirates.
    He's the poster boy from my youth of a baseball late bloomer.

Leave a comment:

• sjb23
    replied

He was no Bill Robinson
    Nice reference.

I vividly remember Bill Robinson circa 1967-1969 with the Yanks. There were many discussions on my street corner about who sucked more - him, Gene Michael, or Charley Smith.

I was surprised a few years later when Robinson had a few nice seasons in a row for the Pirates.

Leave a comment:

• False1
    replied
    Originally posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Stanton has 7/144 left on his contract (plus 30 Marlins pick up but that’s irrelevant)

on the free agency market would probably get about $20m/yr. he probably wouldn’t get 7 years- more like 5, but I’m hardly worried about the 2028 season now.

his deficit value is something like 4 million a year. It’s really not that big of a deal.

honestly , if every one of Cashman’s free agency signings was worth 80% of their money, the Yankees would probably be in pretty good shape right now.
    severino and Hicks were worth about zero
    cole looks very bleak
    britton isn’t any better
    Chapman is going to very ugly
    5 more years of $15/m yr for sub 100ops infielder is pretty bad too, though not as bad as the above.
    I'm pretty sure it's actually 7/$189MM guaranteed, with the Yankees responsible for $159MM after the $30MM that will be paid by the Marlins in installments in the latter years of the deal. Why do you say the $30MM from the Marlins is irrelevant?

I'm too lazy to go back and calculate, but I think his AAV was closer to $20MM due to the first 3 years of this mega deal being so reasonable. That matters to the Yankees in a material way, but probably not so much for most suitors.

Leave a comment:

• fredgmuggs
    replied
    Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post

I still think Melky could be a star. He just needs more time.
    He was no Bill Robinson

Leave a comment:

• JL25and3
    replied
    Originally posted by False1 View Post
    This was a really passionate debate for me all the way back then. I was very pro-Gardner and very anti-Melky. I think they gave Melky way too much leash. Not only do I think his pre-"mysteriously improved" performance was no bueno, I didn't like his approach as a player. The mental mistakes in the field and on the bases (lapses like we saw recently with Frazier and Wade), the unearned swagger, I remember seeing him getting way too into the roll call and botching a play in the field as a result. I did not envision him becoming much more than he did prior to his departure, and believe that was the right evaluation prior to his sudden improvement in production.

Including the 9.2 WAR Melky had in his two shockingly productive seasons, he ended his career with 20.6 bWAR. Gardner has 44 and counting. They absolutely made the right choices, and should have made them sooner.

At least the Yankees were able to get Javier Vasquez when they finally traded Melky.
    I still think Melky could be a star. He just needs more time.

Leave a comment:

• ThePinStripes
    replied
    Stanton has 7/144 left on his contract (plus 30 Marlins pick up but that’s irrelevant)

on the free agency market would probably get about $20m/yr. he probably wouldn’t get 7 years- more like 5, but I’m hardly worried about the 2028 season now.

his deficit value is something like 4 million a year. It’s really not that big of a deal.

honestly , if every one of Cashman’s free agency signings was worth 80% of their money, the Yankees would probably be in pretty good shape right now.
    severino and Hicks were worth about zero
    cole looks very bleak
    britton isn’t any better
    Chapman is going to very ugly
    5 more years of $15/m yr for sub 100ops infielder is pretty bad too, though not as bad as the above.

Leave a comment:

• False1
    replied
    Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

So $159M is what they'll owe to a guy who is a few years older than Suzuki and is more of a DH than Suzuki.

If they include $90M to unload Stanton (who's value has gone up this season) and spend $60M on Suzuki - they've saved about $9M and gotten a younger, more athletic corner OFer, and they've shortened obligation by two years. Adopting the DH in the NL creates this opportunity, IMO. And they get to keep Judge for about the same time period.

Stanton can be paid off to waive his NTC, lol
    Think about this one for a minute my friend. You want them to pay a team $90MM for the privilege of taking on Stanton, and then payoff Stanton to get him to waive his NTC? And in that salary dump a team gets Stanton for 7/$69MM? No way.

As I mentioned, if Stanton were available today as a FA and could be had on a 7/$69MM the Yankees should be scraping and clawing ahead of the competition to sign him . That would be insane value for his bat, even if he is a DH only and gets injured repeatedly. The Cubs will pay more than that for 3 years of Marcus Stroman.

Also, they have to consider both the real production value risks as well as the public perception risks of a move like that. Imagine the fairly plausible scenario where Suzuki never becomes and impact player (or worse yet, cannot produce in this system) and Stanton mashes for a contending team (cuz he's not waiving NTC to go to a non-contender). The backlash would be insane.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X