2021-22 Your Offseason Targets Lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021-22 Your Offseason Targets Lists

Figured this would be something different this offseason we could try before too much of the offseason has developed. All commentary should still go in the offseason thread for organization and lack of duplicative threads, but figured this would be a good way to store who everybody thinks the Yankees should target this offseason and any priority ranking you want to include to reference (and quote if appropriate) in the offseason thread when needed. Feel free to copy and edit my format below or post in whatever way you like.

Target by position (in order of preference):
    C:
    -Mitch Garver- (trade) not sure his availability but he's my top catcher target if available, good receiver that when on can hit with any catcher. I'd trade some pitcher prospects for him if the Twins look to move him
    -Jacob Stallings (trade)- great defender, solid hitter
    -Manny Pina- only FA catcher I like this offseason, top notch defender, shouldn't be too expensive, decent hitter for catcher. The low-hanging fruit option of the offseason in my opinion.

1B:
    -Anthony Rizzo- defense, good hitting approach, contract will be the tricky part. If they can pay him off of his 2020-21 performance (3 years or less), great, but if they're buying the player he was in 2019 and before might have to walk
    -Freddie Freeman- not a realistic target, but you have to make that call
    -Matt Olson (trade)- not trading our top chips (top 3 prospects) for him unless the A's put some pitching in the deal, but he's a great fit if they don't want our top guys (highly doubtful). I don't sell the farm for 1B though especially if Rizzo can be had for not much more per year than Olson will make in arb.
    -Pavin Smith (trade) young infield/outfielder with a nice left handed stroke and good contact. His ability to play the OF also allows you to keep Voit if we're only getting buy-low offers.
    -Colin Moran (trade)- nice lefty stroke, similar to Smith has some positional flex if needed and could be a really nice role player that wouldn't cost too much

2B:
    -Already have too many, ignore

SS: This is the toughest position as for me it'll come down to contracts, but given my best estimate on what each of these guys will receive at this point, I'd go with this order. Now if Seager is getting around the same as Correa, I'd take Correa over him. If the market for Story collapses he could jump both of them.

-Corey Seager- Bridge to Peraza or Volpe defensively and the long term 3B or 2B. The bat is exactly what we need, arguably not a better fit offensively in all of baseball. Defensively he'll underwhelm but make the routine plays.
    -Carlos Correa- complete player, will be at least slightly overpaid, but he's more of a can't miss for at least the first half (5 years) of his deal where he can stay at SS and thus gives you more flexibility to move someone like Peraza or Volpe for pitch or another top end hitter.
    -Trevor Story- intriguing option if Correa, Seager and the rest of the market force him to take a short term deal. I'd happily take Story if he's looking at either a pillow deal or something 5 years or less.
    -Jose Iglesias- more as a backup than a stopgap, but his glove and contact approach fit well on this roster clear upgrade over Wade

3B:
    -Jose Ramirez (trade)- probably not available until the deadline at the earliest, but he's the one position player that could hit the trade market this year that I save my chips for, would hate to blow it all on someone like Olson only to not be able to bid on Ramirez.

OF:
    -Seiya Suzuki- time for the next great Japanese import to don pinstripes, probably not a true CFer but I'm comfortable with Gallo there and Suzuki in LF or vice versas, but I think Gallo provides more value playing CF than LF
    -Byron Buxton (trade)- don't think he becomes available until the deadline, but in terms of value he's top tier in baseball in value per game played, if he's healthy for a postseason run hard to match what he can bring, worth a gamble if the Twins look to move him
    -Adam Engel (trade)- White Sox probably hold onto him as a 4th OF with speed, but his glove and defense and CF would be a great addition. He's a right handed version of Keirmaier in my opinion.
    -Bradley Zimmer (trade)- Another plus glove with speed, but a lefty bat and potentially more available. Again another Keirmaier type.
    -Robbie Grossman (trade)- play Gallo in CF some more and Grossman would make a great LFer, great lefty bat. Make Hicks the 4th OFer. Grossman probably not available until the deadline though.
    -Kevin Keirmaier (trade)- don't think he'll be available to us but worth a check or perhaps worth having another team acquire him from the Rays and send him our way, unlikely, but the fit is excellent.
    -Starling Marte- love the player, going to hate the contract though
    -Corey Dickerson- good platoon bat in LF, Gallo to CF
    -Tommy Pham- minor league deal only, intrigued to see if he'll bounce back leaving SDP

Pitching:
    Eduardo Rodriguez- Safest option over a long term deal. I would not touch any of the guys coming off career years Ray, Gausman, etc.
    Scherzer- no chance Hal goes here, but would be happy if he did
    Luis Castillo (trade)- if the Reds are clearing more salary would give them Monty and prospects
    German Marquez (trade)- see above
    Zac Gallen (trade)- high upside use of prospect capital
    Frankie Montas (trade)- not likely available but worth a try
    Sean Manaea (trade)- likely available, worth sending some cost controlled assets to the A's for him.

Hard Pass list:
    Robbie Ray- not biting on his deal
    Every High price reliever
    Brett Gardner- its time
    Kevin Gausman- not as hard as Ray, but I'd be scared to pickup Gausman too

The Yankees will sign Gardner for a similar contract as 2021.
    The Yankees will trade prospects for two middling RPs.
    The Yankees will pick up a scrap heap SS or First Baseman (probably a arbitration eligible guy from one of the teams focused solely on rebuilding).

That will be it. The guys already in that room are enough to get them to the 2nd (or 3rd?) Wild Card for 2022. That's the goal.
    Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post
      The Yankees will pick up a scrap heap SS or First Baseman (probably a arbitration eligible guy from one of the teams focused solely on rebuilding).

That will be it. The guys already in that room are enough to get them to the 2nd (or 3rd?) Wild Card for 2022. That's the goal.
      Damn it! That was going to be my answer.

Comment

I would sign Correa, trade voit, Torres, German and maybe give a top 5-10 prospect to the A’s for Olson and Sean Murphy. We get our defensive catcher and we get a good two way player in Olson. Move dj back to 2b. Then when peraza and volpe are ready move Correa to 3b and have peraza at ss and volpe at 2b.

Comment

What I want:

C) Trade for Willson Contreras
          1B) Trade for Matt Olson
          2B) DJ (trade Torres)
          SS) Seager
          3B) Gio
          LF/CF) Gallo
          CF/RF) Judge
          RF/DH) Stanton
          DH) flexible/Stanton

What I'll get:

C) Sanchez
          1B) DJ
          2B) Torres
          SS) Semien or Simmons
          3B) Gio
          LF) Gallo
          CF) Hicks/Gardner
          RF) Judge
          DH) Stanton

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

I’d roll the dice and take a run at Kershaw (and also bring Tanaka back). Trade some pitching to bring in a legit catcher, or sign Piña to a FA deal. Re-sign Rizzo and get Simmons to be a stop-gap until Volpe. Go do what it takes to get Byron Buxton to patrol CF. Call it a day.
            Last edited by ojo; 11-08-21, 12:58 PM.
            “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

I’ll take Seager and cross my fingers that he stays healthy. It’s going to be for way too much money but we need him.
              Lots here dont want to touch Ray and his dud of a last game in a big spot is worrisome but we need a #2 in the worst way. I would take the gamble I think he has figured out how to keep his walks down and I dont see him reverting back to the wild Ray.

Comment

Correa, Olson, Verlander, and a new Catcher.

Comment

If the Yankees can acquire a catcher that is a good defender AND discard Sanchez somehow (so they're not tempted to ever use him again) I think I'd be fairly happy.
                  It'd be awesome to sign Correa. But I don't think they will.

Oh - sorry.... I really think they should go after Scherzer. But not for more than 3 years, unless a 4th year definitely lands him.
                  "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.”—Hitman23

Comment

Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post

This is one of the greatest posts in the history of mankind! Mostly because it's likely unbelievably accurate.
                    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.”—Hitman23

Comment

Working...
                    X