Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think the Yankees payroll should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to know what new CBA will be. If players can become free agents after 3 or 4 years then younger players will get bigger contracts. Older players will eventually make their money at a younger age and will sign at 31 or 32 for less per year. Judge would have already made life-changing money from 2019 on if Free Agency happens after 3 seasons. As if stands he'll be age 31 with first Free Agent contract instead of age 31 in middle of a contract or about ready to renew one.
    Yankees payroll at 200-250mil could work if they paid the younger players more and the older players less. Even Gerrit Cole should be at the end of his first big contract if he could have been a free agent in 2016.

Comment

With Cashman as GM, $300m+ to cover his mistakes

With a competent GM, $225m

Comment

Originally posted by Portbb View Post
        Need to know what new CBA will be. If players can become free agents after 3 or 4 years then younger players will get bigger contracts. Older players will eventually make their money at a younger age and will sign at 31 or 32 for less per year. Judge would have already made life-changing money from 2019 on if Free Agency happens after 3 seasons. As if stands he'll be age 31 with first Free Agent contract instead of age 31 in middle of a contract or about ready to renew one.
        Yankees payroll at 200-250mil could work if they paid the younger players more and the older players less. Even Gerrit Cole should be at the end of his first big contract if he could have been a free agent in 2016.
        I don't think the owners will ever agree to 3 or 4 instead of 6. IMO a good compromise is after 5 yrs or age 29 whichever comes first, and arbitration-eligible after 2yrs service instead of 3.
        "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

Does anyone know how much the teams are getting for streaming games, RSN contracts, national broadcasting contracts, and online betting contracts?

Aren't these new streams of revenue why everyone is getting rich ?

Should the players get a piece of this revenue?

What do they "concede" in order to get it?
          "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

I don't think the owners will ever agree to 3 or 4 instead of 6. IMO a good compromise is after 5 yrs or age 29 whichever comes first, and arbitration-eligible after 2yrs service instead of 3.
            I’m sure someone has already though of the downside to this, so let me know what I’m missing, but if the point is to end service time manipulation, I think the move here is to make it 8 or 9 years after being drafted/acquired.

Or maybe even a sliding scale.
            9 or 10 years if drafted out of High School
            8 or 9 years if drafted after Freshman or Sophomore year.
            7 or 8 years if drafted after Junior or Senior year

I'm not sure what the exact numbers should be but the point should be to get the best players up MLB as quickly as you can without worry. If you pair that with a merit based arbitration system then I think it could work out for the best product on the field.

Comment

Brian will spend soon.

With me it is never how much but how they spend the money. My problem is allocation. BALANCE. I have not problem spending 50 - 75 M for top 3 starting pitchers. I think we bid against ourselves for Cole and DJ, Ells was a great example. I think it is dumb to spend 30-50 M for Stanton and Judge and wanted to trade Judge for a starting catcher or #2 LHP and play Stanton in RF. We are stuck with Stanton. I have no problem spending 250M (so that 40M thus year??) and just can NOT understand how we can not win a WS spending with a good roster (LHP, LHB) all this money.....

What the heck are we doing? Boston pick up Paxton and Hill for 15M both are SP LHP and we have Monty and Sanchez.
              Last edited by bucky; 12-21-21, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sd. View Post

I’m sure someone has already though of the downside to this, so let me know what I’m missing, but if the point is to end service time manipulation, I think the move here is to make it 8 or 9 years after being drafted/acquired.

I'm not sure what the exact numbers should be but the point should be to get the best players up MLB as quickly as you can without worry. If you pair that with a merit based arbitration system then I think it could work out for the best product on the field.
                Sanchez signed in 2009. 2018 he’d be a free agent (9yrs) instead of after the 2022 season. But he wasn’t drafted so there’d need to be rules for international signings.

Judge drafted in 2013 as a college junior. After 7 years he’d be a free agent in 2020 instead of after the 2022 season. Seems reasonable.

Comment

I voted other. I don't think there is a static answer to this question. It depends on a number of factors in any given year.

This year, I'd have selected $250MM - $300MM. They just reset the tax, they have a narrow window, there were elite FAs available in positions of critical need, they have a farm system ready to infuse some young, cost-controlled talent in the next 2 or 3 seasons hopefully, and they had the opportunity to shed investments with low ROIs (e.g. Sanchez and Gardner for example). Unless things change drastically after the lockout ends, clearly ownership thinks differently.

Last year, since it was clear they weren't going to make the finishing touches to really compete, I'd have had a different answer. I think they should have declined Britton's swellopt for example. They should not have resigned Gardner, Jay Bruce, etc. They should have kept those marginal investments in the till in case they somehow surprised and had a legit shot with some midseason trades (ones where we aren't limited to players teams will give us for free) or just held pat and loaded up the piggy bank for this offseason.

In general, I'm almost at the point where I think a few things should happen:
                  • Each team should be required to disclose 100% of revenues generated directly or indirectly by baseball operations
                  • Each team should have a salary floor that represents x% of those revenues; and team not meeting the floor should pay the difference into a plan for post-career player benefits
                  • The CBT threshold should be increased significantly and the penalties should be reduced
                  • Aggregate player payroll should be required to be x% of total league revenues or again MLB should pay the difference into a plan for post-career player benefits
                  Owners will never go for this because of greed, but this seems fair to me. The owners deserve to make a massive profit as they create the opportunity for players, but the players are the ones that people pay to see. They should get a larger piece of the pie than they get... and I think it's severely underestimated how little they get %wise when it comes to ALL revenues.

Comment

Originally posted by sd. View Post

I've been hearing that the owners will not even consider lowering the service time until arbitration or free agency but instead will agree to raising the minimum salaries for players, along with some sort of increased earning potential based on performance. The players' union needs to figure out how to spin this probable outcome in a way that appears like they "won" something.

There's also a school of thinking that if arbitration and free agency eligibility is shortened, smaller market organizations will lose their homegrown talent sooner, resulting in extensions becoming more of the norm. As a side note to this, I believe that the division between big market and small market organizations will become big news during these negotiations with players.

As far as service-time manipulation, there will always be organizations that find loopholes or ways to manipulate service time, no matter what the criteria is.

Comment

I voted Other.

It is difficult to demand a specific dollar amount. It is also difficult to demand a specific percentage of revenue, as we all know the owner's play around with that number. The Yankees should spend whatever is needed to put a reasonable facsimile of a team out there that can compete for the WS championship. They have the resources to do so.

Spending large sums on long-term deals wastes the available payroll space needed to acquire what they really need.

Perhaps, it is really time to get a GM from a successful team, especially one that does not have the resources the Yankees have. Such a person has a real idea what it takes to compete. Cashman knows mainly about spending his way out of mistakes.

Kick Cashman upstairs.

Comment

Working...
                      X