Gary sanchez needs to go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary sanchez needs to go

First, let me say hello to all my fellow Yankees fans and baseball fans. As my first post on this forum, I feel it is my duty to get some things off my chest. The Aaron Boone debacle is one I will discuss for another day(not a good manager, and doesn't really manage much, the front office are making the calls), but the fact that we tendered Gary Sanchez, is deflating to say the least.

The Yankees have been spoiled over their rich history of having legendary catchers at the club. I don't need to name them, you know who they are.

A catchers first responsibility, is to catch the ball. That also includes blocking the ball. The rotation also needs to have a great relationship with the receiver, and a lot of that relationship is built on trust. Cole is a good example of having ZERO trust in Sanchez.

When I watch Gary Sanchez behind the plate, my blood boils. I get sick to my stomach awaiting the impending doom that will soon follow.

Btw, I'm 42 years old, I've seen a lot of baseball and some great catchers, so, not just shooting from the hip here.

Sanchez is an absolute disaster. Sure, he can run into a 455 footer from time-to-time, but the overall package? I would take Matty Nokes over Sanchez right now.

I also noticed that some of you on the forum here have defended him, saying that their were no better options out there. Really? Cashman's one job as the GM, is to do whatever is necessary to improve the ball club. That's it. Bottom line. The Yankees couldn't make any trades? Sign a free agent, someone, anyone, that can catch the ball? And I don't want to hear about his hitting, go look at the last 3 seasons, specifically RISP.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy here, I want the Yanks to succeed and get back to the promise land, but they aren't winning with a defective backstop.

Feel free to please chime in and defend him or tell me something that I don't know, I would love to hear my fellow Yankee fans thoughts on this subject.

RELEASE(yes, from the team)THE KRAKEN!

Been saying this a long time.

At this point, removing Sanchez from the roster would be bigger than any other acquisition that we can reasonably expect the Yankees to make this offseason.

Addition by subtraction. Removing him from the equation makes your pitching staff better from top to bottom.

This is a guy that should never don catcher's gear again unless it's to warm someone up in the bullpen.

Comment

• ROMANLEGION
      ROMANLEGION commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope you're right.

Welcome to the forum. Dig the avatar.

I think you'll find that the majority here share your take on tendering Sanchez this offseason. There were other better and reasonably priced catchers available on both the trade and FA market. I think that there are some, perhaps naively, holding out hope that he was tendered in anticipation of the DH becoming universal and that he might have some trade value in that scenario. My guess is that Cashman really thinks that even at circa $8MM Cashman thinks Sanchez deserves another shot at starting. He certainly is a glutton for punishment.

This is one of the reasons I wanted Cashman to trade Gley this offseason. This FO has a habit of seeing the ceiling of a player and thinking it is an inevitability that they will reattain or at least approximate that level again in the future. They just need one more year, a new hitting coach, a position change, to get in shape in the offseason, etc. What we've seen with Sanchez on both sides of the ball is that the tinkering hasn't helped and has likely made him worse. For example, Sanchez had a passed ball problem so they changed his stance behind the plate. Now he still has a passed ball problem but his pop times (a prior strength) suffer and his framing is horrible. I fear the same with Gleyber. I have little confidence that his woes at the plate and in the infield were because of some mental anguish he felt over playing the position he came all the way through the minors playing, and that his terrible defense we've seen at 2B will be magically cured by relieving him of his SS mantle. Also, the team has signed a long term elite defensive 2B that could probably himself make complaints that juggling him in the infield may be bleeding into his at bats. The Yankees never know when to cut bait and have destroyed the value of so many elite assets.

Comment

• ROMANLEGION
      ROMANLEGION commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent analysis.

I make my son get down on one knee when he eats at the dinner table Nah, just kidding.

I agree with you, but I have some bad news for you. Gary will be the starting catcher for the New York Yankees once again next season.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Comment

• ROMANLEGION
      ROMANLEGION commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the uplift this morning. HAHA

Originally posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I agree with you, but I have some bad news for you. Gary will be the starting catcher for the New York Yankees once again next season.
    And for years to come, I fear. Cashman doesn't adapt, he doubles down, triples down, quadruples down, quintuples down ...

Just wait until a Sanchez grand slam next season overcomes the 2 balls he didn't block that helped lead to two runs in a Yankee victory. NY media: "Sanchez justifying Brian's' faith in him! Feel stupid yet, ungrateful Yankee fans???"
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Comment

• ROMANLEGION
      ROMANLEGION commented
      Editing a comment
      I called my father yesterday, who worshiped the ground Thurman Munson walked on, I called and said "hey dad, guess what the Yanks just did, they re-upped Sanchez to a 6yr extension." First response...."THEY DID WHAT?"

I'll take the other side , here.

He has been disappointing but he has also shown flashes of great power. I would like to see him given at least one more season, especially bec I have not been impressed with the alternatives offered on this board.

The Yankee problems , while many, were primarily offensive and hopefully, with some adjustments, his power will return with more consistency.

I know this I am not in lock step with others here, but that is how I feel. Another thought is that if his offensive consistency returns, he can also slide into the DH position.

It's easier to complain than to find solutions.

Comment

• ROMANLEGION
      ROMANLEGION commented
      Editing a comment
      How many more seasons do you need? The only catcher that is worst at playing the catching position, was Jesus Montero. We all know how that one turned out.

Originally posted by hhill View Post
    I'll take the other side , here.

He has been disappointing but he has also shown flashes of great power. I would like to see him given at least one more season, especially bec I have not been impressed with the alternatives offered on this board.

The Yankee problems , while many, were primarily offensive and hopefully, with some adjustments, his power will return with more consistency.

I know this I am not in lock step with others here, but that is how I feel. Another thought is that if his offensive consistency returns, he can also slide into the DH position.

It's easier to complain than to find solutions.
    I was fine with your post until the bolded. The people here that "complain" about the catching situation have proposed numerous potential alternatives. Don't try to paint people that disagree with you as whiners, that's weak sauce.

Comment

• ROMANLEGION
      ROMANLEGION commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not even comfortable with just popping Gary into a strict DH slot. He's know David Ortiz.

Priority number one!!

Comment

Originally posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
      He isn't even the starting catcher now. In their one and only do-or-die playoff game, he was on the bench.

Only in Cashman's world do we have to have such debate over a backup catcher who is so bad that Kyle Higashioka is the preferred choice in that situation.

Comment

• ROMANLEGION
        ROMANLEGION commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly right. What you look for is a catcher that gives you the most consistency across the board. But a pitchers confidence in his backstop is of upmost importance. Just look at the bet pitching performances of the year last year. Who was the Yankees backstop? Higashioka.

First, welcome, nice way to start. I learned a lot here from many posters (many are gone). I come here to get news that is not pro Yankee bias. I agree with you. Sanchez has been a sore point going back to Joe G. IMO Joe was a under rated catcher and coach who helped Posada and tried with Sanchez. Many said Joe G (and I liked Tony Pena) was too demanding and made him change with the leg out. We got a specialized, new catcher trainer and that didn't work. He was not told he was not in the lineup last year with Boone (HUH???). IMO 2021 was his chance to prove himself and failed to be in top 10. I am not a fan of Higgy but he was better and Kluber, no hitter, and with Cole. I posted we should trade Judge for a starting catcher (or a #2 LHP) and still believe it (this is another mistake). I wanted Sands, AAA, in Spring Training and we put him on 40 list only to trade him. We didn't pick a catcher last year in Rule 5 when 2 were available, the minor league signing was Brantly, good but never got the opportunity when he deserved it, the same player we had, drafted Kyle Holder in first round (#30) and not a catcher who is gone (he couldn't hit).

Brian wanted Sanchez to be our starting catcher and will probably get a multi year contract (FA) next year (like so many we should have traded him before). I can not believe Sanchez will be our starting catcher this year. Like poster said - it's addition by subtraction. Not being able to trade a player is not the reason to keep him on your roster. You are right - Just Release the Kracken.

Comment

• ROMANLEGION
        ROMANLEGION commented
        Editing a comment
        If we can't be honest and have painful debates about the club, then we aren't really fans, are we? I believe to this day, that the reason Joe Girardi was not brought back, was because he was too hard on Sanchez. I'm not kidding, I honestly believe that. You had Girardi and Tony Pena at one time, helping Sanchez. Two very good, sound defensive catchers. Aaron Boone was brought in to be a cheerleader. I don't want a cheerleader, I want a manager.

I agree with you about Gary. But the only thing that is going to change the Yankees for the better long term is getting rid of Cashman. Which I know is probably not going to happen in my lifetime.

Comment

• ROMANLEGION
        ROMANLEGION commented
        Editing a comment
        HA! Well, if the Yanks don't make the playoffs this season, he's toast I think.

Originally posted by ROMANLEGION View Post
      First, let me say hello to all my fellow Yankees fans and baseball fans. As my first post on this forum, I feel it is my duty to get some things off my chest. The Aaron Boone debacle is one I will discuss for another day(not a good manager, and doesn't really manage much, the front office are making the calls), but the fact that we tendered Gary Sanchez, is deflating to say the least.

The Yankees have been spoiled over their rich history of having legendary catchers at the club. I don't need to name them, you know who they are.

A catchers first responsibility, is to catch the ball. That also includes blocking the ball. The rotation also needs to have a great relationship with the receiver, and a lot of that relationship is built on trust. Cole is a good example of having ZERO trust in Sanchez.

When I watch Gary Sanchez behind the plate, my blood boils. I get sick to my stomach awaiting the impending doom that will soon follow.

Btw, I'm 42 years old, I've seen a lot of baseball and some great catchers, so, not just shooting from the hip here.

Sanchez is an absolute disaster. Sure, he can run into a 455 footer from time-to-time, but the overall package? I would take Matty Nokes over Sanchez right now.

I also noticed that some of you on the forum here have defended him, saying that their were no better options out there. Really? Cashman's one job as the GM, is to do whatever is necessary to improve the ball club. That's it. Bottom line. The Yankees couldn't make any trades? Sign a free agent, someone, anyone, that can catch the ball? And I don't want to hear about his hitting, go look at the last 3 seasons, specifically RISP.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy here, I want the Yanks to succeed and get back to the promise land, but they aren't winning with a defective backstop.

Feel free to please chime in and defend him or tell me something that I don't know, I would love to hear my fellow Yankee fans thoughts on this subject.

RELEASE(yes, from the team)THE KRAKEN!
      Agree. I think if you erased what he did in 2016-2017 he would've been an absolute no brainer DFA or non-tender in 2020 much less after 2021. People just can't forget that he used to be a good player and after 4 years there's still misguided hope that there's still upside not realizing that he's been the same type of hitter for 4 years. And defensively many fans have such short memories that they forget what its like to watch him catch in a close game with runners on base and someone like Chapman on the mound. Its absolutely waiting for impending doom.

There's also been so many catchers already that were available this offseason that were clear upgrades over Sanchez and all of them seemed to cost less than he'll make this year. Even if you might give up a couple points of wRC+, its nowhere near enough to offset what he costs the team defensively. And most of those guys project to hit right around where Sanchez has for the past 4 years in aggregate and many of them can do it without sole reliance on HRs.

Its sad too that our front office is blinded by potential that they have failed to unlock for 4+ years. Either admit your mistake and move on or find people that won't keep making this same mistake.

Sadly nothing will change here until next year, when I'm fairly certain Gary will have had enough of NY and move on. A change of scenery is actually the only upside potential for this guy in my view.

Comment

• ROMANLEGION
        ROMANLEGION commented
        Editing a comment
        And the congregation said.....AMEN!

I would have at least like to have seen Donny Sands get a try.

Comment

Well, I guess the general consensus is Sanchez will be the starting catcher even though there were/are some other options that may or may not be an improvement over Gary.

If this is the case, I suppose two things need to happen for Sanchez to be better in 2022:

Defensively, IMO he needs to have a traditional stance behind the plate - on his toes. I think the changes of his leg positions have negatively affected him, and all for the benefit of better framing and at the expense of actually catching the ball? No thanks. He needs to work on agility and quickness, and it seems to me that starts with being on his toes.

Offensively, Gary needs to focus on making hard contact to right field and up the middle. If he's trying to pull, he seems to only have success with mistake pitches. Shortening the swing might make for harder and more consistent contact.
        I'm also hoping that with Gary's impending free agency coming up, he's going to be highly motivated to produce consistent results. I think he has to realize that it's going to take a better & consistent performance in 2022 to get a nice fat contract. IMO the Yanks should consider assigning a therapist to speak with Sanchez regularly to see where his head is at. Gary seems to be more of a follower than a leader.
        Last edited by sjb23; 12-20-21, 10:23 AM.
        "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

• ROMANLEGION
          ROMANLEGION commented
          Editing a comment
          Making contact, period. But I agree with you.

Originally posted by sjb23 View Post
        Well, I guess the general consensus is Sanchez will be the starting catcher even though there were/are some other options that may or may not be an improvement over Gary.

If this is the case, I suppose two things need to happen for Sanchez to be better in 2022:

Defensively, IMO he needs to have a traditional stance behind the plate - on his toes. I think the changes of his leg positions have negatively affected him, and all for the benefit of better framing and at the expense of actually catching the ball? No thanks. He needs to work on agility and quickness, and it seems to me that stats with being on his toes.

Offensively, Gary needs to focus on making hard contact to right field and up the middle. If he's trying to pull, he seems to only have success with mistake pitches. Shortening the swing might make for harder and more consistent contact.
        I'm also hoping that with Gary's impending free agency coming up, he's going to be highly motivated to produce consistent results. I think he has to realize that it's going to take a better & consistent performance in 2022 to get a nice fat contract. IMO the Yanks should consider assigning a therapist to speak with Sanchez regularly to see where his head is at. Gary seems to be more of a follower than a leader.
        I think the Tanner Swanson experiment failed with Sanchez. I'm not sure if that failure lies with Swanson or just that Sanchez is an absolute lost cause.

I get that by positioning him lower, he theoretically has a better ability to get strikes called low in the zone, and he has improved somewhat in that regard... but not enough to keep his job when combined with all his other warts. He's still terrible at getting calls anywhere but middle left and middle right, and especially bad at the top of the zone. Which should come as no surprise... I hate how he sets he's positioned low, sets his glove low while the pitcher is starting his delivery, literally puts it in the dirt during the delivery, and then jerks his glove to wherever the pitch is going. Of course when the glove moves in a second from touching the dirt to the top of the zone it's going to result in fewer strike calls. Just mind bogglingly stupid and unnecessary and coachable.

Comment

• ROMANLEGION
          ROMANLEGION commented
          Editing a comment
          He just looks lazy back there. I remember a game in Oakland a few years ago, Severino was pitching, and I think there was like 2 passed balls in 3 pitches. And perhaps another passed ball after that. And the look on Severino's face, he was fuming. Then, when they got back in the dugout, the camera was on both of them, and Sanchez went to go talk to Severino, and he was like, get the hell away from me.
      Working...
      X