2021 Brian Cashman Performance Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yankees1962 View Post

No GM is ever going to emulate their success. Not with the current playoff setup, free agency and luxury tax penalties. By the way, Cashman is going into the HOF even though many around here don't think so.
    Sure, there are plenty of undeserving people in the Hall.

I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Comment

Originally posted by HelloNewman View Post
      Sure, there are plenty of undeserving people in the Hall.
      I wouldn't say he's underserved but it's totally irrelevant when we talk about whether he should still be the GM. Tony La Russa is in the HOF. It doesn't mean that I want him to be the Yankees manager. Cashman could be a good GM but at some point it's time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by kan_t View Post

I wouldn't say he's underserved but it's totally irrelevant when we talk about whether he should still be the GM. Tony La Russa is in the HOF. It doesn't mean that I want him to be the Yankees manager. Cashman could be a good GM but at some point it's time to move on.
        Cashman was a good GM for the Yankees, but hasn't been for the last few years and has overstayed his term as Yankees GM. He can be a good GM again, but I want it to be with another team.
        NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

Comment

He's so far behind on analytics and coaching when you look at the other top teams in the league. He doesn't think he needs proper coaching. He wants a puppet, and he'll never be successful due to that. You need conflicting ideas and collaboration to run a successful organization. This team is closer to teardown than a couple tweaks.

It'll be interesting to see the contract they give Boone. Could they really keep him and just sign him on a one year deal? Yikes.
          Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post
            He's so far behind on analytics and coaching when you look at the other top teams in the league. He doesn't think he needs proper coaching. He wants a puppet, and he'll never be successful due to that. You need conflicting ideas and collaboration to run a successful organization. This team is closer to teardown than a couple tweaks.

It'll be interesting to see the contract they give Boone. Could they really keep him and just sign him on a one year deal? Yikes.
            This is the big thing. It's a zero sum game when it comes to scouting and development

. Analytics aren't going to create additional players. The pool of potential players is, more or less, not going to change. The Yankees aren't better at figuring out who to pick than other teams. That's why "the price was too high" for them. They saw a $100 price tag on a player and valued him at $50 while the other team (correctly) saw them as a $150 player. Or they though a $100 was a bargain when it wasn't.

And then there's the whole development side. It's not zero sum, but you're playing against other teams. The Yankees coaching and development adds $20/yr to a player while the other teams add $50.

Dollars are obviously "wins" and at the end of each season, wins are a zero sum game.
            A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Comment

Our coaching doesn't really extend well to the majors. The ML coaching and analytics is a VITAL piece to making good players. How many prospects have come up and sucked in the majors? Or even had success initially and then regressed? The coaching at the major league level is REALLY bad. It's like doing everything right in the batters box. Laying off some tough breaking balls, taking a pitch outside, and finally getting your pitch and hitting a pitch hard, only to see it die at the warning track. That's the Yankees positional player development in a nutshell. A ball that dies at the warning track.
              Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Comment

Our coaching doesn't really extend well to the majors. The ML coaching and analytics is a VITAL piece to making good players. How many prospects have come up and sucked in the majors? Or even had success initially and then regressed? The coaching at the major league level is REALLY bad. It's like doing everything right in the batters box. Laying off some tough breaking balls, taking a pitch outside, and finally getting your pitch and hitting a pitch hard, only to see it die at the warning track. That's the Yankees positional player development in a nutshell. A ball that dies at the warning track.
                Nailed it.

Comment

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

Unfortunately, I think most of us knew this was going to be the play that somebody besides Cashman and his front office were going to be the fall guys for their roster failures. With that said, I'm not entirely upset that some coaching changes are taking place. I just wish it was more than just cosmetic changes as they better do more with that freaking roster than what's being rumored right now.
                    NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

Comment

These moves and the reporting make it apparent they're leaning towards putting largely the same team back on the field. Scapegoat some coaches to appease the casual fans and trust our analytics team that keeps saying the players underachieved. They did the same after the disappointing 2020 season and surprise, surprise, same result.

Comment

The problem is our analytics team sucks, which doesn't surprise me since Cashman built it. He's an amateur and continues to fail where others advance. Our team constantly produces less than the sum of its parts because it's poorly constructed. They're obsessed with exit velocity and strike out too much. Many of the players are of similar profiles and they get exploited. We're unathletic which also contributes to the inability to scratch out runs when we're the home runs aren't coming. The lineup was completely unbalanced and they did nothing about it for years. And the solution was to trade for a LHer that strikes even more? It's almost as if this team was purposely built to fail in the postseason.

Comment

We carry too many players with question marks for years. Look at Andujar, Frazier, Hicks, Gleyber, Gary, and Voit to name a few. I feel like any other team would've gotten a more reliable return in a trade but Cashman is too obsessed with individual wins. He cares about that rather than building more complete team.

Comment

And some of these moves are absurd on their face. They gave up prospects for Rougned Odor, literally one of the very worst players in baseball. Can an analytics team be any good if that's their idea of improvement?

Comment

These lineups and in-game decisions that are foisted upon Boone are so shockingly bad too. Odor batting 3rd?

Comment

We also see teams poaching from other organisations but the guy we had poached, Billy Eppler, sucked and got fired. Look at this line off his wikipedia page and tell me it's not beyond dark: "When Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman was given the authority to restructure the Yankees' front office after the 2005 season, he created a professional scouting department and promoted Eppler to serve as its director. In that role, Eppler and his staff were responsible for scouting acquisitions, which led to the signings of Bartolo Colón, Eric Chavez, Cory Wade, Freddy García, Russell Martin, Andruw Jones, and Luis Ayala." WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X