Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Brian Cashman Performance Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by sjb23 View Post
    Between Odor and Gallo, there should only be room for one IMO. I'd have no problem getting rid of both, but if I'm keeping one of them I think I'd keep Gallo, he might have a little more upside.
    I'd be shocked if Odor isn't on the 2021 OD roster. His salary is covered by Texas. If he's a backup 2B/3B, he's fine. He should come no where near a starting job.

    As I stated in the offseason thread in my reply to you, I think Gallo can be a starter given his good defense at all three OF positions, his age, his cost and his upside relative to his ugly production after the trade. But, that's only true if they make MASSIVE upgrades elsewhere (SS, 1B, C) and Stanton can play a lot more OF. Gallo as a #4 hitter is a lot different than Gallo at the bottom of the lineup.

    Comment


      Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

      No. He's really good. OAA had him as best defender on Yankees (not saying much) and 4th best 2B in baseball (+8):

      https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leade...oles=&viz=show
      I don't trust it, it varies wildly from year to year. He's clearly not the same athlete he was 4-5 years ago.

      Comment


        I don't really understand why people think Odor is poor defensively at 2B.
        Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

        Comment


          Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post
          I don't really understand why people think Odor is poor defensively at 2B.
          He is not poor. But when you have a Gold Glove second baseman in DJ on the roster it would be stupid to play Odor over him at 2B.

          Comment


            Originally posted by ymike673 View Post

            He is not poor. But when you have a Gold Glove second baseman in DJ on the roster it would be stupid to play Odor over him at 2B.
            The process is committed to not playing DJ at 2nd if at all possible.

            I firmly believe that:
            LeMa will either be the regular third baseman (with Gio at SS and a dumpster dive at 1B)
            or
            Lema will be the regular first baseman (with Gio at 3B and a dumpster dive at SS)
            Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

            Comment


              Average defender for DH (Stanton) to push an poor defender out of DH and either the field or the bench, all while there are two great 2B defenders and no good 3B or SS defenders. You just have to laugh sometimes.
              A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

              Comment


                Originally posted by ThePinStripes View Post
                Average defender for DH (Stanton) to push an poor defender out of DH and either the field or the bench, all while there are two great 2B defenders and no good 3B or SS defenders. You just have to laugh sometimes.
                Or cry a lot.

                Comment


                  Let's get us a new catcher:

                  Wilson Contreras - Cubs Willson Contreras Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
                  Austin Nola - Padres Austin Nola Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
                  Carson Kelly - D-Backs Carson Kelly Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
                  Jose Godoy - Mariners Jose Godoy Minor & Winter Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com


                  Obviously Contreras is the most proven and will cost the most. I think they're all worthy candidates to team with Higashioka. Sanchez can and should be replaced IMO.
                  "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post

                    The process is committed to not playing DJ at 2nd if at all possible.

                    I firmly believe that:
                    LeMa will either be the regular third baseman (with Gio at SS and a dumpster dive at 1B)
                    or
                    Lema will be the regular first baseman (with Gio at 3B and a dumpster dive at SS)
                    Tulowitzki and Carter might be available.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by ace View Post

                      Tulowitzki and Carter might be available.
                      With Tulo at 2nd and Carter at SS...they have to play out of poition too.
                      Originally posted by DEADSOX
                      We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
                      **This Space For Rent**

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post
                        I don't really understand why people think Odor is poor defensively at 2B.
                        He's fine defensively. But not so much so that he overcomes his offensive shortcomings.
                        Baseball is life;
                        the rest is just details.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

                          He's fine defensively. But not so much so that he overcomes his offensive shortcomings.
                          Right.

                          I will say though that a backup IF that can play at least two positions well defensively (jury still out on third) and provide occasional pop is actually an asset. Especially if that contribution comes for free (assuming the savings are invested WISELY elsewhere on the roster). Odor's not a problem, unless he's starting regularly.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by False1 View Post
                            Right.

                            I will say though that a backup IF that can play at least two positions well defensively (jury still out on third) and provide occasional pop is actually an asset. Especially if that contribution comes for free (assuming the savings are invested WISELY elsewhere on the roster). Odor's not a problem, unless he's starting regularly.
                            Sure if Wade and Velasquez are gone, Yanks get a SS and Gio becomes back up SS but then you are looking and DJL as primary 1B or super utility guy and in the former you kill DJL value and in the later Odor is likely an afterthought.
                            Baseball is life;
                            the rest is just details.

                            Comment


                              I don't know whether to laugh or cry. How does a GM spend $209 million in payroll and still require a complete up-the-middle rebuild?

                              The incompetence at every level is truly a thing to behold:

                              https://nypost.com/2021/10/19/yankee...hez-decisions/

                              Cashman pointed specifically to shortstop, catcher and center field, where Aaron Hicks missed most of the season following wrist surgery, as positions that will be evaluated this offseason.

                              "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
                                I don't know whether to laugh or cry. How does a GM spend $209 million in payroll and still require a complete up-the-middle rebuild?

                                The incompetence at every level is truly a thing to behold:

                                https://nypost.com/2021/10/19/yankee...hez-decisions/
                                And the saddest thing is, this isn't even a good evaluation. They need change at 6 out of the 8 positions on the field.
                                Calmer than you are

                                7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X