Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid-19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Re: Covid-19

    This quote seems about right.
    “It really does feel like the U.S. has given up,”
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

    Comment


      Re: Covid-19

      Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
      Yup. We wasted February and March, then did a half-assed lockdown, while doing nothing to address the things that can end said lockdown - tests, tracing and a uniform response. Now we are opening back up because we're bored and the economy is in tatters and cases will keep growing. We can't even agree on doing the bare minimum - wearing masks. It's such an embarrassment. Every nation should be, and deserves to, laugh at and ridicule us.

      We have handled this pandemic like a 5th rate backwards country, which is what we are quickly becoming.
      Agreed.

      If you lined the doctors, scientists and other epxerts up, and said:

      "Ignore politics, ignore the money. What must we do to beat this thing?"

      We all know what their answer would be.
      Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
      who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
      'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

      Comment


        Re: Covid-19

        And Texas is probably a day or two from passing MA on the number of cases list. They've had three straight days of over 3,000 new cases.

        Florida is getting there as well.

        What I'm trying to wrap my hands around is it mathematically better to have this many new cases when the total case count is lower or higher. Because right now, both Texas and FL are at about the same stage as MA was but with far fewer total cases. Makes the chart look steep.

        Comment


          Re: Covid-19

          Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
          Jersey, the science is settled masks reduce the spread of Covid-19. It's not debatable. The evidence is as overwhelming as gravity.

          It doesn’t stop it every time but enough to significantly effect the transmission rate.
          I don't remember arguing against wearing masks. Where in my posts did you get that impression from?

          In fact, I've got over a dozen of them, as well as face shields.

          I was simply noting that many members of law enforcement, but certainly not all, do not wear face masks.
          Last edited by Jersey Yankee; 06-19-20, 05:36 PM.
          Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
          RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

          Comment


            Re: Covid-19

            Big next step in MA, Part 2 of Phase 2, indoor dining at restaurants is back (with restrictions):

            https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...irus-reopening

            Also NJ has its second lowest day of new cases since March 20.

            Meanwhile, Texas passed MA on the list for total cases like it was standing still.

            What's odd is that the case fatality rate is significantly lower in the South than in the Northeast (specifically NY, NJ, MA, and CT).

            I'm curious is the weather has something to do with how impactful the virus is or if the medical profession has figured out a more effective way to treat it.

            Or they could be just fudging the numbers...

            Comment


              Re: Covid-19

              Originally posted by Archer1979 View Post
              Big next step in MA, Part 2 of Phase 2, indoor dining at restaurants is back (with restrictions):

              https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...irus-reopening

              Also NJ has its second lowest day of new cases since March 20.

              Meanwhile, Texas passed MA on the list for total cases like it was standing still.

              What's odd is that the case fatality rate is significantly lower in the South than in the Northeast (specifically NY, NJ, MA, and CT).

              I'm curious is the weather has something to do with how impactful the virus is or if the medical profession has figured out a more effective way to treat it.


              Or they could be just fudging the numbers...
              Interesting. Maybe there is a stronger connection to a person's Vitamin D levels than originally thought.

              The Northeast also has an older population in general compared to the south, and we know the fatality rate is higher in older age brackets so maybe that could explain it.
              Stay "We" my friends

              Comment


                Re: Covid-19

                Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post
                Interesting. Maybe there is a stronger connection to a person's Vitamin D levels than originally thought.

                The Northeast also has an older population in general compared to the south, and we know the fatality rate is higher in older age brackets so maybe that could explain it.
                I think it's just that younger people are getting it in the South/West

                https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/21/u...day/index.html

                Comment


                  Originally posted by YFIB View Post
                  I think it's just that younger people are getting it in the South/West

                  https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/21/u...day/index.html
                  Or they could just be fudging the numbers.
                  Russian warship, go **** yourself

                  Comment


                    Re: Covid-19

                    Phase 2 in NYC starts today. A little normalcy.

                    Comment


                      Re: Covid-19

                      Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                      Or they could just be fudging the numbers.
                      It's a pretty widespread trend - it's happening in Washington state and California also.

                      https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...=1592834368571

                      Public health experts said the trend could be explained in several ways. More people are getting coronavirus tests. The criteria for who gets tested as well as the capacity to test them have expanded since the beginning of the pandemic. Early on, generally only people with symptoms or who were seriously ill could get tested at all.

                      But some public health experts said the increase is because some younger adults may perceive they are less at risk than their parents or grandparents and are more likely to venture back into society as it reopens — that could mean going to restaurants or social gatherings or returning to the workplace.
                      I can buy that more widespread testing is catching more, less serious cases and/or that younger people are being less cautious than older folks. The problem is that those "venturing back into society" have an opportunity to spread it to older people as well.

                      Comment


                        Re: Covid-19

                        Originally posted by ymike673 View Post
                        Phase 2 in NYC starts today. A little normalcy.
                        Before COVID I used to travel to NYC for my job about 6-7 times per year.

                        I wonder how many restaurants I used to frequent are still going to be there whenever I go back.
                        Stay "We" my friends

                        Comment


                          Re: Covid-19

                          Originally posted by YFIB View Post
                          I think it's just that younger people are getting it in the South/West

                          https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/21/u...day/index.html
                          That's definitely part of it - some of the really high death rates in April/May are influenced by the nursing home disasters. Where death rates were in the double digit percents.

                          I think it has to also at least somewhat be tied to an improvement in care and (somewhat) lesser strain on the hospital systems. This is a new virus, and care/triage for it was a relative unknown for doctors/nurses/health systems. They are getting better at it, and this should continue to happen as studies find better treatment drugs, like the steroid dexamethasone.

                          Still obviously a very deadly virus, so these gains won't make everyday life safe on their own.

                          Comment


                            Re: Covid-19

                            Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post
                            Before COVID I used to travel to NYC for my job about 6-7 times per year.

                            I wonder how many restaurants I used to frequent are still going to be there whenever I go back.
                            I have been to Manhattan 3 times since March 20th and I live in Brooklyn.

                            Comment


                              Re: Covid-19

                              My very best friend just told me that 3 of the 9 people in her dept just tested positive. They were all originally tested because they were already feeling ill. All 9 work in one cubicle area that doesn’t really allow social distancing. One of the sick sits right next to her. My friend will be tested on Wednesday. Right now, I think I am more scared/worried than she is.

                              Comment


                                Re: Covid-19

                                Originally posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
                                My very best friend just told me that 3 of the 9 people in her dept just tested positive. They were all originally tested because they were already feeling ill. All 9 work in one cubicle area that doesn’t really allow social distancing. One of the sick sits right next to her. My friend will be tested on Wednesday. Right now, I think I am more scared/worried than she is.
                                That's really scary. I hope she's OK. <3
                                "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X