Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    8500 new cases in Florida on Sunday which was actually the first reduction in days https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...-time-in-days/

Texas at near capacity in ICU https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...ource-website/

Arizona not doing much better.
    Correct. A good majority of the hospital here in AZ are already at capacity.

Comment

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
      8500 new cases in Florida on Sunday which was actually the first reduction in days
      Doesn't mean anything, it's a reporting quirk you see in all locales

Look at the NYC daily counts of positive cases:
      https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

Sunday is the lowest count of the week and it repeats for months

Comment

In an effort to stop a massive surge in new coronavirus cases, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey ordered bars, nightclubs, gyms, movie theaters and water parks around the state to be closed for at least 30 days starting Monday night.

https://apnews.com/66d6c8853f9b4944f...source=Twitter
        Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

We are more concerned with opening restaurants, theme parks, bars and gyms than we are with schools and it's going to be a ripple effect disaster for the next 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
            We are more concerned with opening restaurants, theme parks, bars and gyms than we are with schools and it's going to be a ripple effect disaster for the next 30 years.
            Everywhere around me, work in CT and home in NY, there is a ton of concern about opening schools. I think it's just such a local issue and still being worked through.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
              Everywhere around me, work in CT and home in NY, there is a ton of concern about opening schools. I think it's just such a local issue and still being worked through.
              Yes, it's a local issue, but it can't be done without an influx of cash. Cash that isn't there locally since sales, meals/hotel and withholding tax hasn't been collected by states in months.

There needs to be a federal response to hire new/additional teachers, hire enough custodians to properly clean schools at night, pay for additional buses or increased costs for doing double runs, pay for adequate disinfectant, technology to ensure every kid can remotely learn if needed, etc.

Comment

The kids with involved parents will catch up. The kids with inadequate parenting will fall further behind

Comment

Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
                  The kids with involved parents will catch up. The kids with inadequate parenting will fall further behind
                  Werd. I missed from November to April of first grade because my father got pneumonia and had to recover in Arizona. I was home-schooled by my father and had a tutor for the last three months. I was on program when I got back in April; the rest of the class was three weeks behind the syllabus. I spent maybe two hours a day on schoolwork.

Truth is, grade schools are horribly inefficient teaching instruments. They waste horrendous amounts of time on activities ancillary to the curriculum and move at the pace appropriate to the slowest kid in class. I was bored stiff in class until I got to a highly competitive secondary school and had to fight to keep up.
                  "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

Yes, it's a local issue, but it can't be done without an influx of cash. Cash that isn't there locally since sales, meals/hotel and withholding tax hasn't been collected by states in months.

There needs to be a federal response to hire new/additional teachers, hire enough custodians to properly clean schools at night, pay for additional buses or increased costs for doing double runs, pay for adequate disinfectant, technology to ensure every kid can remotely learn if needed, etc.
                    This could be one of the long-term benefits to come out of this virus.

COVID-19 has made it impossible to ignore the decades-long infrastructural rot in the US. The only way forward is to finally confront the problems and solve them.
                    Stay "We" my friends

Comment

So, no different than if the schools hadn't closed in the first place?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                      - President Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                        Not for the kids at the bottom, they're going to be worse off by who knows how much.

Cue the calls for social promotion and lowering standards again

Comment

You can't lower a standard that doesn't exist.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                          - President Barack Obama

Comment

https://twitter.com/adamcbest/status...076735488?s=20

“We shouldn’t presume that a group of experts knows what’s best.”
                            Rand Paul perfectly sums up the ideology of the GOP. They are the ”ignorance is bliss” party.

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                              Not it’s like a logarithmic scale.
                              Baseball is life;
                              the rest is just details.

Comment

Not for the kids at the bottom, they're going to be worse off by who knows how much.

Schools are being encouraged to do benchmark testing as soon as schools reopen, so we can see exactly how worse off they may be. It’s not really going to solve anything, but at least we’ll know how far behind they are, and will know if we close that gap.

As for Maynerd’s “No standards” comment, every state has their own state standards of what students should learn in each grade. If you really cared, you could look them up at each State Dept of Education.

Comment

Working...
                                X