Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid-19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Re: Covid-19

    I'm old enough to remember when Republicans fear mongering about death panels almost stopped the ACA from passing.

    Fast forward to 2020 and Republican led Arizona is instituting what looks a whole hell of a lot like...death panels.

    https://twitter.com/stevenspohn/stat...96633406906369
    Arizona is preparing to implement SCORECARDS to determine eligibility for receiving care in a COVID world with limited supplies.

    The elderly & people with pre-existing conditions immediately fall into a lower category of priority due to life expectancy.


    Full DoH white paper:
    https://www.azdhs.gov/documents/prep...9-addendum.pdf

    Comment


      Re: Covid-19

      Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
      I'm old enough to remember when Republicans fear mongering about death panels almost stopped the ACA from passing.

      Fast forward to 2020 and Republican led Arizona is instituting what looks a whole hell of a lot like...death panels.

      https://twitter.com/stevenspohn/stat...96633406906369




      Full DoH white paper:
      https://www.azdhs.gov/documents/prep...9-addendum.pdf

      This is a necessary precaution, but if this policy is utilized people will need to be reminded why things got so dire in AZ - the dramatic increase in cases has been a result of their policies and wasn't inevitable.

      Comment


        Re: Covid-19

        Originally posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
        As for Maynerd’s “No standards” comment, every state has their own state standards of what students should learn in each grade.
        Meaningless. Largely because of the bolded. What happens to the students who do not meet those standards? They advance, grade to grade, and eventually get a High School diploma. What happens to the schools that produce students who fail to meet these standards?

        That's not a standard at all. It's a desired outcome, with no repercussions for failing to meet the supposed standard.

        "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
        - President Barack Obama

        Comment


          Re: Covid-19

          Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
          Meaningless. Largely because of the bolded. What happens to the students who do not meet those standards? They advance, grade to grade, and eventually get a High School diploma. What happens to the schools that produce students who fail to meet these standards?

          That's not a standard at all. It's a desired outcome, with no repercussions for failing to meet the supposed standard.
          I don't know what you're talking about. My wife has kids every year that have to repeat her English class because they didn't meet the minimum requirements to move to the next grade level.

          Comment


            Re: Covid-19

            Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
            I'm old enough to remember when Republicans fear mongering about death panels almost stopped the ACA from passing.

            Fast forward to 2020 and Republican led Arizona is instituting what looks a whole hell of a lot like...death panels.
            So what you're saying is.....the Republicans were right?

            I don't think they said Democrats would convene Death Panels, but the government would need to do so to apportion a limited resource (medical care) when demand exceeded supply. 'Death Panel' was a terrible choice of words, but the concept is the same.....when supply is insufficient to meet demand, it would be the government who would then apportion the care. Isn't that what's happening in Arizona, regardless of which party is in power?

            I'm not championing the prior system, where care would be apportioned by who could write the biggest check. Just pointing out that what we're seeing (yes, in extraordinary circumstances) is what the "fear-mongering" predicted.

            "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
            - President Barack Obama

            Comment


              Re: Covid-19

              Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
              So what you're saying is.....the Republicans were right?

              I don't think they said Democrats would convene Death Panels, but the government would need to do so to apportion a limited resource (medical care) when demand exceeded supply. 'Death Panel' was a terrible choice of words, but the concept is the same.....when supply is insufficient to meet demand, it would be the government who would then apportion the care. Isn't that what's happening in Arizona, regardless of which party is in power?

              I'm not championing the prior system, where care would be apportioned by who could write the biggest check. Just pointing out that what we're seeing (yes, in extraordinary circumstances) is what the "fear-mongering" predicted.

              Death panels were completely fabricated by Sarah Palin. There was nothing whatsoever in the ACA about rationing health care or making judgements on who was worthy of health care. What they are proposing now has nothing to do with the ACA. How were they right?

              Comment


                Re: Covid-19

                Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                So what you're saying is.....the Republicans were right?

                I don't think they said Democrats would convene Death Panels, but the government would need to do so to apportion a limited resource (medical care) when demand exceeded supply. 'Death Panel' was a terrible choice of words, but the concept is the same.....when supply is insufficient to meet demand, it would be the government who would then apportion the care. Isn't that what's happening in Arizona, regardless of which party is in power?

                I'm not championing the prior system, where care would be apportioned by who could write the biggest check. Just pointing out that what we're seeing (yes, in extraordinary circumstances) is what the "fear-mongering" predicted.
                No, this is about Covid. If Arizona had followed the federal guidelines and taken the virus seriously, they wouldn't be in this situation and this wouldn't be necessary.

                People are literally dying because of bad policy

                Comment


                  Re: Covid-19

                  Originally posted by YFIB View Post
                  This is a necessary precaution, but if this policy is utilized people will need to be reminded why things got so dire in AZ - the dramatic increase in cases has been a result of their policies and wasn't inevitable.
                  I hate this state. Ducey has blood on his hands. Our ICUs are overflowing and other units are packed with COVID patients in many hospitals. It's horrific.
                  "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

                  Comment


                    Re: Covid-19

                    Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                    I hate this state. Ducey has blood on his hands. Our ICUs are overflowing and other units are packed with COVID patients in many hospitals. It's horrific.
                    I wouldn't stay in any state where the hospitals are at capacity, because if you get sick you will not be able to get treated. Everyone needs to have an oximeter to monitor their blood oxygen. Many victims just get up one day and collapse because they have no idea they are being starved of oxygen since the feeling of being short of breath comes from high CO2 levels which COVID typically does not affect

                    Comment


                      Re: Covid-19

                      Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
                      I wouldn't stay in any state where the hospitals are at capacity, because if you get sick you will not be able to get treated. Everyone needs to have an oximeter to monitor their blood oxygen. Many victims just get up one day and collapse because they have no idea they are being starved of oxygen since the feeling of being short of breath comes from high CO2 levels which COVID typically does not affect
                      Unfortunately I can't just move. I wish I could.

                      I'm actually going to buy a pulse ox. I was talking about it with my husband last night for the very reason you mentioned. This makes your blood oxygen levels decrease without you really knowing it.
                      "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

                      Comment


                        Re: Covid-19

                        Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                        Unfortunately I can't just move. I wish I could.

                        I'm actually going to buy a pulse ox. I was talking about it with my husband last night for the very reason you mentioned. This makes your blood oxygen levels decrease without you really knowing it.
                        I can't place any specific scientific value on this as a treatment so :shrug: but it's very similar to what a respiratory therapist taught me after an injury that kept me in bed for an extended period to help prevent pneumonia. It makes sense to me and I like things that make sense. Plus I didn't get pneumonia!

                        Comment


                          Re: Covid-19

                          Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                          I'm actually going to buy a pulse ox. I was talking about it with my husband last night for the very reason you mentioned. This makes your blood oxygen levels decrease without you really knowing it.
                          Not all devices are made alike, there are cheap ones and really expensive ones, and you don't know which are actually working. And the decent ones are still being price gouged. The one I bought was based on this study:

                          https://journals.lww.com/anesthesia-...ers_Not.9.aspx

                          They found the Contecs were surprising accurate for their low cost. And after getting ripped off on eBay, I found out that this Chinese company has a US branch with a website you can buy direct for the regular price. I bought the CMS50D+ back in April for $36, free shipping in less than a week, very satisfied:

                          https://contechealth.com/collections...24hours-record

                          Comment


                            Re: Covid-19

                            Somewhat random question, but are some people in America still arguing over not wanting to be "forced" to wear masks in public? Being stationed in Japan for quite a few years, sometimes I'm not sure if only extreme news makes it over the internet world. Out here, masks are such a normal generic safety thing that it almost feels a natural thing like wearing a seatbelt when driving a car, or wearing a helmet when on a bicycle. In other words, safety items that won't completely prevent the sickness but certainly won't hurt to have.


                            I have a box of masks next to my entrance sitting there like a box of tissue, that I'll simply swipe and put on when I have to go to work.

                            Comment


                              Re: Covid-19

                              Originally posted by H.Kokubo View Post
                              Somewhat random question, but are some people in America still arguing over not wanting to be "forced" to wear masks in public? Being stationed in Japan for quite a few years, sometimes I'm not sure if only extreme news makes it over the internet world. Out here, masks are such a normal generic safety thing that it almost feels a natural thing like wearing a seatbelt when driving a car, or wearing a helmet when on a bicycle. In other words, safety items that won't completely prevent the sickness but certainly won't hurt to have.


                              I have a box of masks next to my entrance sitting there like a box of tissue, that I'll simply swipe and put on when I have to go to work.
                              Yes, they are and a major reason for that is our POTUS. He never wears one and makes fun of those that do wear a mask. Those that don't wear a mask latch onto the example Trump sets on the matter and takes his non-mask wearing comments to heart.
                              NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Yankees1962 View Post
                                Yes, they are and a major reason for that is our POTUS. He never wears one and makes fun of those that do wear a mask. Those that don't wear a mask latch onto the example Trump sets on the matter and takes his non-mask wearing comments to heart.
                                From there, it has become a bizarre focal point in the culture wars: You can’t force me to wear a mask! It’s unconstitutional! It’s tyranny! I have a god-given right to...something, I’m not sure what.
                                Russian warship, go **** yourself

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X