X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    Arizona sucks.
    Tell me about it. I will say, though, that Andy Biggs is an extremist nutjob and most of us aren't THAT awful. The white people who elect him are, though.

Originally posted by NyQuil View Post
    Herman Cain has been hospitalized with COVID. He attended the Tulsa event.
    Thoughts and prayers.

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

Nice! How y'all doing? I assume everyone has seen a 20% wealth increase since this all started? We're doing okay. That extra $600 per week from the fed gov helped us maintain our luxurious lifestyle while my husband was laid off. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I look at my finances and see that 20% increase. I'm sure those billionaires are all working really hard.
    Eat them.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
      They are not. But it’s a common trope for why “those people” aren’t successful is what John is saying. It’s a way to blame blacks for being poor without using race directly.

I think that’s what he’s getting at.
      There can be countless reasons why blacks are not successful. Being humbled by other races, even by members of their own race, are still there.

That's a huge thing, ever since slavery, Jim Crow laws, etc. There are still many races which look down upon blacks as not being go-getters, or expecting others to do things for them, rather than doing these for themselves.

Many ethnicities go to black neighborhoods to set up businesses, but not as often will blacks go to other neighborhoods to establish businesses, stores, etc.

As for being poor, we could blame a lack of desire, fewer mentors than others, many companies presuming that other races will be more enthusiastic in some thinking jobs.

There's also the issue of public funding, such as food stamps, welfare, etc. Many of these limit how much one can make while still remaining on the system.

Dr John can speak for himself, if he so chooses.
      Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
      RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

Comment

This is a misquote and intentionally and sorely lacks context. I know it’s fun to slice a misquote like this to own the GOPs, and I’m no fan of Rand Paul but it would be great if people viewed the entirety of someone’s comments and argued against them on lack of merit.

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
          This is a misquote and intentionally and sorely lacks context. I know it’s fun to slice a misquote like this to own the GOPs, and I’m no fan of Rand Paul but it would be great if people viewed the entirety of someone’s comments and argued against them on lack of merit.
          After his latest stunt regarding that anti-lynching bill, I can careless if Rand Paul's comments are taken out of context. What a douche!
          NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
            I get what you’re saying, but Rand Paul is a champion for the war against intellectualism. I mean, that’s so blatantly insulting to think people will judge you for weighing facts to arrive at an informed decision.

In that thread there was a pic that really should be included here.

“Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

The White House is working on a plan for the virus. Are they finally going to do as pretty much the rest of the world has done and fight the virus down to a manageable level? No they came up with a slogan as rates are now going up in 40 states “We Need to Live With it”. No we can’t. How much more of this stupidity and ignorance can we take?

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
                The White House is working on a plan for the virus. Are they finally going to do as pretty much the rest of the world has done and fight the virus down to a manageable level? No they came up with a slogan as rates are now going up in 40 states “We Need to Live With it”. No we can’t. How much more of this stupidity and ignorance can we take?
                We're actually dying with it but ok, Drumpf.

Actually not ok.

He's trash and so are his supporters.
                "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                  We're actually dying with it but ok, Drumpf.

Actually not ok.

He's trash and so are his supporters.
                  I doubt it's possible to dislike Trump, his policies, his lack of decency, his IQ and his style more than I do.

But I actually think "we need to learn to live with it" is sort of an obvious statement and reflects where we are with Covid. Isn't that...'learning to live with it'...what we are doing? We cannot shut the entire country down and stay home for the next year or so before we hopefully have a vaccine. On the other hand, we cannot throw caution to the wind, take our masks off and go about life as usual.

It's, to me, a very obvious statement..we are learning to live with it and trying to figure out how to strike a balance.

Of course, it would be immensely helpful if the federal government, in particular the POTUS, could speak about this intelligently and in a nuanced and flexible fashion while still drawing clear lines of what can and cannot be done. But he and his base are profoundly stupid people and that's not going to happen. But 'learning to live with it', is actually what we need to be doing the best we can...

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
                    I doubt it's possible to dislike Trump, his policies, his lack of decency, his IQ and his style more than I do.

But I actually think "we need to learn to live with it" is sort of an obvious statement and reflects where we are with Covid. Isn't that...'learning to live with it'...what we are doing? We cannot shut the entire country down and stay home for the next year or so before we hopefully have a vaccine. On the other hand, we cannot throw caution to the wind, take our masks off and go about life as usual.

It's, to me, a very obvious statement..we are learning to live with it and trying to figure out how to strike a balance.

Of course, it would be immensely helpful if the federal government, in particular the POTUS, could speak about this intelligently and in a nuanced and flexible fashion while still drawing clear lines of what can and cannot be done. But he and his base are profoundly stupid people and that's not going to happen. But 'learning to live with it', is actually what we need to be doing the best we can...
                    Right. We have been learning to live with it the whole time. Assessing and mitigating. Trump’s not being genuine when he says that. He’s saying that to open everything back up. In part because he’s tired of it, and also because he wants to hold more Nuremberg Rallies where people can pretend they’re not racist and centrist Republicans will trip over themselves to admonish Democrats for pointing out the obvious parallels.
                    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Europe is demonstrating how to learn to live with it. Asia. Australia. What we are doing is not learning to live with it but hoping not to die with it. Pathetic, loser country.

Comment

Europe is demonstrating how to learn to live with it. Asia. Australia. What we are doing is not learning to live with it but trying not to die with it. Pathetic, loser country.
                        First, I think our response at the federal level has been absolutely atrocious and continues to be.

But if we are going to compare ourselves to Europe, we have had significantly less death per capita than six European countries.

Deaths per million individuals:

Belgium 843
                        UK 651
                        Spain 607
                        Italy 576
                        Sweden 537
                        France 458
                        US 399

This is obviously due to many factors, the government response being just one...but to be fair, so far Europe is not generally doing better than we are, at least as far as death counts go.

Comment

First, I think our response at the federal level has been absolutely atrocious and continues to be.

But if we are going to compare ourselves to Europe, we have had significantly less death per capita than six European countries.

Deaths per million individuals:

Belgium 843
                          UK 651
                          Spain 607
                          Italy 576
                          Sweden 537
                          France 458
                          US 399

This is obviously due to many factors, the government response being just one...but to be fair, so far Europe is not generally doing better than we are, at least as far as death counts go.
                          Nah. Pre-mitigation rates are not really meaningful right now. Everyone was caught flatfooted and there were some responses that were better than others while governments figured this out. Their numbers are continuing to decline both in total cases and deaths while our total cases are rising at unprecedented rates and the deaths will follow.

Comment

Yes, it's the current position which is most worrying. Whether we're at the end of the first wave or the start of the second, Europe had about 13,000 new cases yesterday (population > 500 million). The US had 54,000 new cases on its own (population around 330 million) - and the difference is very unlikely to be due to testing, since Europe and the US have done about the same number of tests.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
                            Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

Comment

Nah. Pre-mitigation rates are not really meaningful right now. Everyone was caught flatfooted and there were some responses that were better than others while governments figured this out. Their numbers are continuing to decline both in total cases and deaths while our total cases are rising at unprecedented rates and the deaths will follow.
                              So, you think the US will eventually catch up to the death rates in the six European countries I listed?

Comment

So, you think the US will eventually catch up to the death rates in the six European countries I listed?
                                I would not be surprised but I don't think that is what matters when comparing the responses. Like Saxmania said, it's what what we've done to decrease the spread vs what they've done and what the numbers from the point of strict mitigation forward look like. I think we will grossly exceed theirs with the possible exception of Sweden and their herd immunity attempt. I've not heard how that's going recently but it was not going well last update I saw.

Comment

Working...
                                X