Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Astrazeneca is saying they expect their vaccine to be equally as effective as Moderna and Pfizer, with additional data published soon. The J&J vaccine is very similar in technology to the Astrezeneca vaccine, so I'd bet the house on it working as well (results expected in January). Fauci has just said he expects wide availability vaccines for the general public by the end of March/beginning of April, and he tends to be very cautious in his predictions. I'm starting to think we all may have access sooner rather than later, and the main challenge will become identifying and vaccinating those who are underserved in the country (e.g. people without insurance who don't have contact with a primary physician) and around the world rather than supply.

Comment

Originally posted by billyhoyle View Post
      Astrazeneca is saying they expect their vaccine to be equally as effective as Moderna and Pfizer, with additional data published soon. The J&J vaccine is very similar in technology to the Astrezeneca vaccine, so I'd bet the house on it working as well (results expected in January). Fauci has just said he expects wide availability vaccines for the general public by the end of March/beginning of April, and he tends to be very cautious in his predictions. I'm starting to think we all may have access sooner rather than later, and the main challenge will become identifying and vaccinating those who are underserved in the country (e.g. people without insurance who don't have contact with a primary physician) and around the world rather than supply.
      Good news about having more vaccines available soon. Sadly even many with insurance don't have a PCP. Locating and vaccinating the ones without it will be even harder.
      "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
        Good news about having more vaccines available soon. Sadly even many with insurance don't have a PCP. Locating and vaccinating the ones without it will be even harder.
        CVS, Walgreens and likely others will be offering the vaccine when it is widely available. I suspect there will be a lot of options.

Comment

Originally posted by YFIB View Post
          CVS, Walgreens and likely others will be offering the vaccine when it is widely available. I suspect there will be a lot of options.
          The issue isn't that there won't be a place for them to get it. It's that many people simply won't actively go into a drug store to get the vaccine. People with a PCP will be able to be called by the PCP. Part of the reason that COVID is killing so many people is that there is a huge part of the population that isn't that concerned about it, and in part this is due to lack of access to health care information. So I think what's going to happen is there will have to be big efforts to go out into these underserved communities and increase awareness about the vaccine and convince people to go to CVS to get it.

Comment

My son works for a Boston hospital in administration. He has worked remotely since the pandemic began and it hasn't affected his work (in fact, he says his productivity is higher working remotely). Because he's in "healthcare" he's scheduled to receive his covid vaccine in the beginning of January and he's embarrassed about getting placed this far up the vaccine line. Yeah, the line placement isn't foolproof.
            You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2020/12/09...a-freedom-did/

The Virus Didn’t Defeat America, Freedom Did

It’s no mystery how we got here: a nonexistent Federal response headed by an unprepared, ignorant sociopathic president who had neither the capacity nor the inclination to prevent loss of life. But these massive liabilities alone wouldn’t have been enough for the virus to defeat us so fully. It needed a boost. It needed an accomplice. It needed one more fierce ally in its brutal assault on America: it needed Americans.

It needed the flag-waving, chest-beating, star-spangled, bottle-rocket, Don’t Tread On Me, MAGA bluster of hundreds of millions of people raised to believe personal freedom trumps everything: Science, facts, humanity—even life itself.

And so, when the warnings came they cried “conspiracy!”
              When the restrictions arrived they marched like star-spangled martyrs on Governor’s mansions with guns waving.
              When healthcare workers pleaded with them for restraint, they tore off their masks; imagining themselves some heroic modern Tea Party patriots defending liberty against manufactured tyranny.
              When the case and death numbers climbed, they attacked the “Deep State” and doubled down on the well-curated myth of their oppression.
              When the second wave began, after a first wave that never ended—they complained about restrictions not working the first time, never mentioning the fact that they didn’t abide by them to begin with.
              Hurts to read, but it's so true.

Comment

Oof by the end of the night, my whole hospital will be out of propofol.

Comment

Originally posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
                  Oh, my god. That's awful. And scary.
                  "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Oh boy. My week on a ventilator was bad enough, I can't imagine how awful it would have been with propofol.

Comment

This is just insane...

Comment

“PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -- Banner Health announced hospitals in the Phoenix-area have started diverting incoming emergency hospital patients due to the influx of COVID-19 patients. “

https://www.azfamily.com/news/contin...3890d1c1a.html

So monday, 10 hospitals were on diversion at the same time. Today 6 of them are on diversion. Granted this doesn’t stop the ERs from taking walk in patients, but transfers and ambulance patients are having to go further out to get care.

Comment

The amount of vaccine that is sitting on shelves (-80 freezers) due to the amount of time it is taking hospitals to get all their staff vaccinated is infuriating with the degree to which the virus is causing death in the community. It's time to open up vaccination to at risk individuals ASAP. Hospitals need to make sure the people working directly with COVID patients have immediate/priority access, but then just have a policy of getting the vaccine off the shelf and administered. People who are 70 or 80 years old should not be waiting for every primary care physician in the state to be vaccinated.

Comment

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/29/polit...vid/index.html

Congressman-elect Luke Letlow has died after being diagnosed with Covid-19, his spokesman confirmed Tuesday evening.

"Congressman-elect Luke Letlow, 41, passed away this evening at Ochsner-LSU Health Shreveport due to complications from COVID-19," Letlow spokesman Andrew Bautsch wrote in a post on the Republican congressman-elect's Facebook page.
                            Picture after picture on twitter at his victory party, out shaking hands, etc. No mask. Just 41.

Comment

Originally posted by billyhoyle View Post
                              The amount of vaccine that is sitting on shelves (-80 freezers) due to the amount of time it is taking hospitals to get all their staff vaccinated is infuriating with the degree to which the virus is causing death in the community. It's time to open up vaccination to at risk individuals ASAP. Hospitals need to make sure the people working directly with COVID patients have immediate/priority access, but then just have a policy of getting the vaccine off the shelf and administered. People who are 70 or 80 years old should not be waiting for every primary care physician in the state to be vaccinated.
                              I’m almost certainly going to be vaccinated before my 92-year-old mother is.
                              Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

The roll out of this has been a disaster but with Trump to be expected

Comment

Working...
                                X