Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid-19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/h...na-kariko.html


    Good read. Amazing woman. Funding for scientific research is completely broken.
    I read this earlier. She's rad.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

    Comment


      Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

      I'm sure they hate you as much as you hate them but it's more complex than just "muh freedoms!", It's also a lot more than not letting them go to concerts, airplanes, restaurants, etc. We need herd immunity. We need them to help us get there. Shaming or "punishing" them won't work.

      Yes I know and all of this is a good selling point for Biden's Jobs plan. Rural healthcare, expanded broadband, etc. He'll help red states as much, or more than, blue states with that stuff.

      Comment


        While I agree shaming them won’t accomplish anything I also don’t think using logic to persuade them will either. I think this country is heading in a very bad place and I do not see the solution

        Comment


          Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
          While I agree shaming them won’t accomplish anything I also don’t think using logic to persuade them will either. I think this country is heading in a very bad place and I do not see the solution
          If logic doesn't work, turn up the freakin heat.
          “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

          Comment


            Comment


              Should I be happy or upset that I got the J&J vaccine?
              Brian Cashman: "I have no idea."

              Comment


                Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post
                Should I be happy or upset that I got the J&J vaccine?
                I got it last Wednesday. No side effects.

                6 people out of 7 million doses. 0.0001% - less than the odds of getting hit by lightning. This seems to be a total over reaction and will not help those vaccine hesitant people we need to get herd immunity.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

                  I got it last Wednesday. No side effects.

                  6 people out of 7 million doses. 0.0001% - less than the odds of getting hit by lightning. This seems to be a total over reaction and will not help those vaccine hesitant people we need to get herd immunity.
                  Yeah. I was just bringing it up. Mine was over a month ago. No problems.
                  Brian Cashman: "I have no idea."

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

                    I got it last Wednesday. No side effects.

                    6 people out of 7 million doses. 0.0001% - less than the odds of getting hit by lightning. This seems to be a total over reaction and will not help those vaccine hesitant people we need to get herd immunity.
                    I don't know. I think it's something that would have been found under normal circumstances during vaccine trials that were not expedited and given emergency use. Since that couldn't happen, I can't say it's an overreaction but more likely standard protocol. It's a shame it's going to scare people away but we also can't be sloppy. Trusting the science doesn't just apply when you like the result.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post

                      Yeah. I was just bringing it up. Mine was over a month ago. No problems.
                      Q: What if I already took Astra Zeneca or J/J?

                      If you’re >2wks out from the day of jab you’re safe

                      If you’re within two weeks, go buy a lottery ticket. Your chance of hitting the lottery or getting the thrombotic thrombocytopenia is similar

                      No need to panic
                      ​​​​​​https://twitter.com/FaheemYounus/sta...505775107?s=19

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

                        I don't know. I think it's something that would have been found under normal circumstances during vaccine trials that were not expedited and given emergency use. Since that couldn't happen, I can't say it's an overreaction but more likely standard protocol. It's a shame it's going to scare people away but we also can't be sloppy. Trusting the science doesn't just apply when you like the result.
                        It wouldn't necessarily be found in a trial - the incidence has been less than one in million. Context?


                        Dr. Angela Rasmussen

                        @angie_rasmussen
                        ·
                        9m
                        For perspective, here are some numbers: 1 in 1,000,000: J&J vaccine 1 in 3,000: oral contraceptives 1 in 5: hospitalized COVID-19 patients As someone who got the J&J vaccine 8 days ago, and who took oral contraceptives for 20 years, I’ll take these odds.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by YFIB View Post

                          It wouldn't necessarily be found in a trial - the incidence has been less than one in million. Context?

                          I stand corrected. But it's still the same side effect as the AZ vaccine. They determined that it was most likely causing the clots but that the condition was so rare that vaccine benefits still outweighed risk so I expect the same conclusion. It's just important for the med community to understand it and be aware of it and not treat it like other clotting as the heparin you would normally use would be harmful for this specific type of clotting. The problem is not the pause and the investigation as much as stupid people. I don't have a solution for that.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

                            I stand corrected. But it's still the same side effect as the AZ vaccine. They determined that it was most likely causing the clots but that the condition was so rare that vaccine benefits still outweighed risk so I expect the same conclusion. It's just important for the med community to understand it and be aware of it and not treat it like other clotting as the heparin you would normally use would be harmful for this specific type of clotting. The problem is not the pause and the investigation as much as stupid people. I don't have a solution for that.
                            I think the pause is a problem because of the way it is being communicated. If you gave the vaccine to everyone in the U.S. today, you'd expect less than ~ 330 people to get clots in the next two weeks. Clearly the risk/benefit still favors giving the vaccine. If you want to pause, at least do it in women 18-55 or something, where all the cases have been seen.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by YFIB View Post

                              I think the pause is a problem because of the way it is being communicated. If you gave the vaccine to everyone in the U.S. today, you'd expect less than ~ 330 people to get clots in the next two weeks. Clearly the risk/benefit still favors giving the vaccine. If you want to pause, at least do it in women 18-55 or something, where all the cases have been seen.
                              They have mishandled the vaccine messaging from the start. No reason to think they'd get this one right.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by YFIB View Post

                                I think the pause is a problem because of the way it is being communicated. If you gave the vaccine to everyone in the U.S. today, you'd expect less than ~ 330 people to get clots in the next two weeks. Clearly the risk/benefit still favors giving the vaccine. If you want to pause, at least do it in women 18-55 or something, where all the cases have been seen.
                                I would think the fact that they are calling for a pause would actually ease the minds of people who are on the fence over this vaccine's safety (the non-conspiracy nuts), given that it shows an overabundance of caution.

                                Stay "We" my friends

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X