Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid-19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    It certainly doesn’t help that there’s a shortage of rapid tests due to capitalism. Abbott destroyed millions of rapid tests, closed plants and laid off thousands of workers because the demand dropped for a little while and the investors were more worried about profits than anything else.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/u...vid-tests.html

    Comment


      Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
      Pfizer fully approved today. Good. Mandates.
      If anyone has kids < 12yo, you might want to talk to your pediatrician. FDA approval clears the way for off label use of the vaccine, which includes use in those below 12 years old. I know some pediatricians in my area who are going to be giving it to some patients after weighing risks.

      Comment


        Originally posted by trapper700 View Post
        It certainly doesn’t help that there’s a shortage of rapid tests due to capitalism. Abbott destroyed millions of rapid tests, closed plants and laid off thousands of workers because the demand dropped for a little while and the investors were more worried about profits than anything else.

        https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/u...vid-tests.html
        Well, that's rage-inducing, but very typical of late-stage capitalism.
        "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

        Comment


          Originally posted by trapper700 View Post

          If anyone has kids < 12yo, you might want to talk to your pediatrician. FDA approval clears the way for off label use of the vaccine, which includes use in those below 12 years old. I know some pediatricians in my area who are going to be giving it to some patients after weighing risks.
          Both of mine are under 12, but neither has any chronic health conditions (luckily) that make them high risk. They're both really healthy, fortunately, so idk how willing they'd be. I may ask their doctor, anyway. He's actually retiring and I need to find a new one, but for now they'll be transferred to whomever takes over his cases at that office (which has multiple other docs and NPs).
          "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

          Comment


            Biden spoke today and I had a small hopr finally he might issue some mandates (the military one was already announced) now there is full approval. Nope just asking the non vaccinated to get it. I am sure they will go running now Joe. (Rollls eyes).

            Comment


              "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

              Comment


                Originally posted by trapper700 View Post
                It certainly doesn’t help that there’s a shortage of rapid tests due to capitalism. Abbott destroyed millions of rapid tests, closed plants and laid off thousands of workers because the demand dropped for a little while and the investors were more worried about profits than anything else.

                https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/u...vid-tests.html
                Ah. That's pretty awful. However, the government still needs to source and get production ramping up again. This isn't going away anytime soon, or anytime really.
                Calmer than you are

                7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

                  Ah. That's pretty awful. However, the government still needs to source and get production ramping up again. This isn't going away anytime soon, or anytime really.
                  I would also like to see home testing more available but I wonder what the error rate is or if there is even any way to know. I don't mean the efficacy. Just the number of people that muck it up - don't insert the swab far enough, don't swab long enough, mishandle it afterwards. I know there are a lot of user mistakes with home pregnancy tests and even more with dna tests and they are both much easier to administer. Of course neither end with you spreading a deadly virus because you got a false negative due to user error.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

                    I would also like to see home testing more available but I wonder what the error rate is or if there is even any way to know. I don't mean the efficacy. Just the number of people that muck it up - don't insert the swab far enough, don't swab long enough, mishandle it afterwards. I know there are a lot of user mistakes with home pregnancy tests and even more with dna tests and they are both much easier to administer. Of course neither end with you spreading a deadly virus because you got a false negative due to user error.
                    Regardless, it should be a major focus to develop and provide accurate home testing. Not only would it help reduce spread, but it would also allow those spending time testing patients to do something else like actually treating patients.
                    Calmer than you are

                    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

                      Regardless, it should be a major focus to develop and provide accurate home testing. Not only would it help reduce spread, but it would also allow those spending time testing patients to do something else like actually treating patients.
                      You think the same folks who won't wear a mask and won't get a vaccine will responsibly test themselves for COVID and quarantine when positive?
                      Baseball is life;
                      the rest is just details.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

                        You think the same folks who won't wear a mask and won't get a vaccine will responsibly test themselves for COVID and quarantine when positive?
                        Tests would be helpful for everyone, and yes, unvaccinated people would want to know whether they have COVID.
                        Calmer than you are

                        7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

                        Comment


                          JERUSALEM—The massive surge of COVID-19 infections in Israel, one of the most vaccinated countries on earth, is pointing to a complicated path ahead for America.

                          In June, there were several days with zero new COVID infections in Israel. The country launched its national vaccination campaign in December last year and has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, with 80 percent of citizens above the age of 12 fully inoculated. COVID, most Israelis thought, had been defeated. All restrictions were lifted and Israelis went back to crowded partying and praying in mask-free venues.

                          Fast forward two months later: Israel reported 9,831 new diagnosed cases on Tuesday, a hairbreadth away from the worst daily figure ever recorded in the country—10,000—at the peak of the third wave. More than 350 people have died of the disease in the first three weeks of August. In a Sunday press conference, the directors of seven public hospitals announced that they could no longer admit any coronavirus patients. With 670 COVID-19 patients requiring critical care, their wards are overflowing and staff are at breaking point.
                          Israel will then reconfigure its Green Passports, granting them only to the triple-vaccinated, and limiting their validity to six months. In anticipation of this change, the number of unvaccinated Israelis getting their first shots has tripled since the beginning of August.

                          The World Health Organization has asked wealthy countries to halt all third vaccines for a period of two months, hoping that a moratorium will allow poorer countries, where few citizens have received even a first inoculation, to catch up. The United States rejected the call and Israel has ignored it.

                          Asked what has brought Israel to peak transmission even as the country has already provided third doses of vaccines to 1.5 million citizens, Rahav, who has become one of the best known faces of Israel’s public health messaging, sighed, saying, “I think we’re dealing with a very nasty virus. This is the main problem—and we’re learning it the hard way.”

                          “It is a combination of waning immunity, so that inoculated people get reinfected, and at the same time the very transmissible Delta variant,” Rahav said, adding that Israelis lacked the discipline to revert to mask usage as the numbers began rising. “But it is not an Israeli problem,” she added. “It is everywhere.”
                          https://www.thedailybeast.com/ultra-...ing-to-america
                          Calmer than you are

                          7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
                            Biden spoke today and I had a small hopr finally he might issue some mandates (the military one was already announced) now there is full approval. Nope just asking the non vaccinated to get it. I am sure they will go running now Joe. (Rollls eyes).
                            I'm not surprised. Just disappointed.
                            "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

                            Comment


                              This country is embarrassing.

                              The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning people not to take horse deworming medication to treat COVID-19.
                              "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

                              Comment


                                I saw something being reported on Twitter where a doctor contracted to provide health services to a Washington County jail in Fayetteville, Arkansas has been administering prisoners Ivermectin. Once this is verified, this will blow up.
                                “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X