Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

In spite of what the actual words say, I think articles like that only encourage people. Anything that is not a definitive no can be perceived as a possible yes by certain groups and as a likely yes by the even more extreme groups and a "they are trying to hide the cure!!!" from the even more extreme. Which is not to say they shouldn't be published, just that they will be taken the wrong way. Objectivity is a lost cause.
    I don't think the answer to combatting misinformation is with more well-intentioned misinformation, but maybe I'm in the minority on that. Articles like this won't do much for those already looking for confirmation bias of their own opinions, but can help those who are not sure what to believe.

The fact that this isn't plastered all over the tentpole media sites and I instead had to go to Gizmodo to find analysis beyond "LOL horse paste" is so disappointing.
    Stay "We" my friends

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post

I don't think the answer to combatting misinformation is with more well-intentioned misinformation, but maybe I'm in the minority on that. Articles like this won't do much for those already looking for confirmation bias of their own opinions, but can help those who are not sure what to believe.

The fact that this isn't plastered all over the tentpole media sites and I instead had to go to Gizmodo to find analysis beyond "LOL horse paste" is so disappointing.
      Eh. I did not find it nearly definitive enough to sway anyone not to use it. That's a failure in my opinion. Also it would be easier to not "LOL horse paste" if people were not literally eating horse paste.

Comment

Ashish K. Jha, MD, MPH@ashishkjha

@DLeonhardt does some math He suggests that the risk of a breakthrough infection on any given day is about 1 in 5000 I think its closer to 1 in 10,000 And if you live in a lower infection state like MA or RI, its probably closer to 1 in 20,000
        https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/07/b...ons-delta.html

Comment

Eh. I did not find it nearly definitive enough to sway anyone not to use it. That's a failure in my opinion. Also it would be easier to not "LOL horse paste" if people were not literally eating horse paste.
          Well, what would you have them do? They can't get the vaccine.....it's EXPERIMENTAL.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
          - President Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
            Well, what would you have them do? They can't get the vaccine.....it's EXPERIMENTAL.
            You make a good point. Fine. Horse paste for everyone!

Comment

I think what it comes down to is when you are healthy it’s easy to think that the virus won’t affect me and if it does I’ll probably be a symptomatic so I don’t need this experimental vaccine.

but when reality hits and you’re having trouble breathing you’ll try any snake oil treatment regardless of what it is.
              Baseball is life;
              the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post
                Finding objective articles about the ivermectin craze can be difficult, but this one is pretty good:

https://gizmodo.com/the-truth-about-...tin-1847570437

That's actually interesting and written well. Thanks for sharing.
                "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
                  I think what it comes down to is when you are healthy it’s easy to think that the virus won’t affect me and if it does I’ll while probably be a symptomatic so I don’t need this experimental vaccine.

but when reality hits and you’re having trouble breathing you’ll try any snake oil treatment regardless of what it is.
                  A lot of the people getting really sick aren't even healthy. Many have comorbidities such as diabetes, hypertension, or RA. Etc. They still choose not to be vaccinated.

My best friend is an embalmer/mortician. She's been picking up a whole lot of people who thought it wasn't going to happen to them. Last night she picked up a 58 year old woman -- with a few chronic diseases -- directly from the ED. Dead from Covid-19. The patient went in too late even to be admitted and died there.

The nurse who met my friend when she picked up the body asked if she'd been vaccinated. "Oh, hell yes," she replied, before apologizing for her language. The nurse said, "I love it. You wouldn't believe the idiots we get in here."
                  "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post

A lot of the people getting really sick aren't even healthy. Many have comorbidities such as diabetes, hypertension, or RA. Etc. They still choose not to be vaccinated.

My best friend is an embalmer/mortician. She's been picking up a whole lot of people who thought it wasn't going to happen to them. Last night she picked up a 58 year old woman -- with a few chronic diseases -- directly from the ED. Dead from Covid-19. The patient went in too late even to be admitted and died there.

The nurse who met my friend when she picked up the body asked if she'd been vaccinated. "Oh, hell yes," she replied, before apologizing for her language. The nurse said, "I love it. You wouldn't believe the idiots we get in here."
                    That's my point. When you aren't sick, it's easy to convince yourself "this won't happen to me". I'm not saying it's smart, just giving a reason why some chose not to get vaccinated even if I don't personally agree with their reasoning.
                    Baseball is life;

Comment

Yeah, I think where people choose to get their information, and the politics behind that, are a bigger problem. Aside from the obvious (vaccination) there are other treatments that are approved/have shown promise against Covid.

Of course, this shouldn't be surprising given what we've seen over the past few years. It's just really disheartening that something so serious - a global pandemic - isn't beyond this dynamic. We have better access to vaccines than just about any country, and are still so dysfunctional that we are needlessly stuck in the throes of the pandemic. It's just sad.

Comment

A lot of the people getting really sick aren't even healthy.
                        That’s a profound insight.
                        Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
                          That's my point. When you aren't sick, it's easy to convince yourself "this won't happen to me". I'm not saying it's smart, just giving a reason why some chose not to get vaccinated even if I don't personally agree with their reasoning.
                          I know it's not your point but I simply don't care. I don't care if you think you're invincible. I don't care if you think god doesn't like vaccines. I don't care if your cousin's sister-in-law's brother was magnetized after getting vaccinated. If you are not vaccinated you are a public health hazard. Vaccines should be mandatory if you want to go to any public venue.

Comment

I know it's not your point but I simply don't care. I don't care if you think you're invincible. I don't care if you think god doesn't like vaccines. I don't care if your cousin's sister-in-law's brother was magnetized. If you are not vaccinate you are a public health hazard. Vaccines should be mandatory if you want to go to any public venue.
                            I totally agree unless there is a real medical reason why you can't be vaccinated.

Baseball is life;

Comment

I know it's not your point but I simply don't care. I don't care if you think you're invincible. I don't care if you think god doesn't like vaccines. I don't care if your cousin's sister-in-law's brother was magnetized. If you are not vaccinate you are a public health hazard. Vaccines should be mandatory if you want to go to any public venue.
                              I don't think I'm going to be in an accident any time soon. I think I'll cancel my vehicle insurance.

Remember back in the 60s and 70s, when we all got Polio. You don't? Know why?

Makes no sense. Vaccination is NOT a political issue.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                              - President Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                                I don't think I'm going to be in an accident any time soon. I think I'll cancel my vehicle insurance.

Remember back in the 60s and 70s, when we all got Polio. You don't? Know why?

Makes no sense. Vaccination is NOT a political issue.
                                Not just the US. As late as 1988 there were around 330K cases worldwide (mostly across the 3rd world) of polio annually. By 2020 I believe that was down to around 3,500 in an isolated area of Asia, possibly Afghanistan though I'd have to double check. Mostly thanks to WHO and their work in getting vaccinations out around the globe.

As an anecdotal aside my wife grew up with someone who was partially paralized from polio vaccine gone wrong as a child. It was a rare by not unknown side effect. Despite that the girl's mom was still pro-vaccine.
                                Baseball is life;

Comment

Working...
                                X