Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Last Thursday we set a record with 580,000 cases in the US. Yesterday we had over one million cases reported. These numbers do not include home tests or those that don’t get tested alone. So for those just saying we are over covid or no remote learning for the time being. You may be done with covid but covid isn’t done with you.
    Case numbers are big and scary but really have to pay attention to hospitalization rates. I saw an interview with Gov. Hogan of MD, he said 75% of the hospitalizations are made up from the 8% of the state that is unvaxxed adults.

Comment

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

Case numbers are big and scary but really have to pay attention to hospitalization rates. I saw an interview with Gov. Hogan of MD, he said 75% of the hospitalizations are made up from the 8% of the state that is unvaxxed adults.
      It's like that in CT too. But the vaccines don't work.
      You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kelly-...&ICID=ref_fark

Kelly Ernby, a presumed candidate for the state Assembly in 2022, was only 46 years old. According to the Los Angeles Times, she fell ill shortly after speaking out against vaccine mandates at a rally organized by Turning Point USA on Dec. 4.

“There’s nothing that matters more than our freedoms right now,” she was quoted telling the crowd during the rally at Irvine City Hall.
        Ernby’s husband, Mattias Ernby, appeared to confirm his wife had not been vaccinated in response to a Facebook user who claimed she had died of blood clots after getting vaccinated.

“She was NOT vaccinated. That was the problem,” Mattias Ernby wrote.
        Dying for her freedom. I feel bad for her husband and kids.
        Baseball is life;
        the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post

It's like that in CT too. But the vaccines don't work.
          GQP logic dictates that we can ignore Covid thanks to vaccines, which by the way don’t work. Vaccination is a personal choice, but giving people the information they need to make that choice wisely is a vile attack on their dignity. It’s all about freedom and free markets, but this freedom doesn’t include the right of private businesses to protect their own workers and customers. The pandemic is all a big overblown waste of time but damn Biden for not ending it immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

Both are important. Case numbers will show how much life in America will be impacted. That is 1 million just yesterday needing to isolate. and hospitalizations are almost at an all time high

Comment

Both are important. Case numbers will show how much life in America will be impacted. That is 1 million just yesterday needing to isolate. and hospitalizations are almost at an all time high
              I don't know if that part is true. I think January last year was peak. But I could be wrong.

And while Omicron does appear to be far less severe then Delta and other prior variants, your point about staffing is a good one. Because someone who tests positive for COVID should absolutely not be going in to work and spreading it.
              Baseball is life;

Comment

Is there any data around the nature of "hospitalizations?" Does this include ER visits as well?

Reason I ask is an uncle on my wife's side recently passed. Due to her autoimmune condition we decided it was too risky to travel to Detroit for the memorial. About 40 people attended, mostly older folks and some with other high risk factors (one had leukemia, several obese, many smokers, etc) and nearly half got covid. Out of them, 1 went to the ER but was not admitted to the hospital. Just wondering if she would count as a "hospitalization."

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
                  Is there any data around the nature of "hospitalizations?" Does this include ER visits as well?

Reason I ask is an uncle on my wife's side recently passed. Due to her autoimmune condition we decided it was too risky to travel to Detroit for the memorial. About 40 people attended, mostly older folks and some with other high risk factors (one had leukemia, several obese, many smokers, etc) and nearly half got covid. Out of them, 1 went to the ER but was not admitted to the hospital. Just wondering if she would count as a "hospitalization."
                  If she was treated in the Er and released she is counted as an out patient and not a hospitalization; if she is treated in the ER and then admitted to the hospital she is counted as a hospitalization.

Not my area of expertise but that is my understanding of it.
                  Baseball is life;

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

I don't know if that part is true. I think January last year was peak. But I could be wrong.

And while Omicron does appear to be far less severe then Delta and other prior variants, your point about staffing is a good one. Because someone who tests positive for COVID should absolutely not be going in to work and spreading it.
                    Was reported on NBC News today. If you look at the first peak it peaked in April of 2020. So if I am wrong so is NBC

Comment

Was reported on NBC News today. If you look at the first peak it peaked in April of 2020. So if I am wrong so is NBC
                      Ok. I think they were wrong. But soon may be right. Hospitalizations just topped 103,000 which is higher than it’s been in 4 months but January 2021 before the vaccine was generally available saw around 125,000 at the peak.
                      Baseball is life;

Comment

Ok. I think they were wrong. But soon may be right. Hospitalizations just topped 103,000 which is higher than it’s been in 4 months but January 2021 before the vaccine was generally available saw around 125,000 at the peak.
                        But generally I don’t think it changes the point I was making. And it is almost at the high. I think too many latched on to “milder” than Delta but forgot the far more contagious part. If you have that many more cases you still get an overloaded hospital system

Comment

How the US is handling the pandemic in one image.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FIRTEIGXoAUCFb9?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

But generally I don’t think it changes the point I was making. And it is almost at the high. I think too many latched on to “milder” than Delta but forgot the far more contagious part. If you have that many more cases you still get an overloaded hospital system
                            Yep using made up numbers if it is 3 times as contagious but only half as likely to cause hospitalizations, you’ll still see hospitalizations go up.
                            Baseball is life;

Comment

Yep using made up numbers if it is 3 times as contagious but only half as likely to cause hospitalizations, you’ll still see hospitalizations go up.
                              But if you're comparing to pre-covid (which I think you were above in terms of comparing peaks), you'd also need to account for the percentage of people that are vaccinated, the efficacy of the vaccines at reducing transmissibility, and the even more significant reduction in hospitalization rates post-vaccination.

Comment

Here's a comparison of last year's peak compared to today's hospitalization data that was released by HHS a few hours ago:

We're going to be surpassing most of last year's peak numbers probably by tomorrow, considering we just added 8687 hospitalizations yesterday. Let's also not forget that hospitalizations and deaths are a lagging indicator, so you don't see them until 1-2 weeks after cases show up.

Edit: Also not only are hospitals at about 75% capacity, lots of hospitals across the country are extremely short on staff due to them also being sick. My own hospital has asked me to come back early from paternity leave and I happily declined because I don't want to risk bringing it home to my 3 week old.

Comment

Working...
                                X