Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Had a “low-risk” exposure at work last night. Two weeks of temperature checking and symptom monitoring.
    Originally posted by 4bronxbombers
    Well....I am a total bacon whore...
    :thatsodd: <--- The Ryan emoticon.

Comment

Originally posted by NyQuil View Post
      Had a “low-risk” exposure at work last night. Two weeks of temperature checking and symptom monitoring.
      Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by Bub View Post
        We're already taking your advice, Maynerd...as you posted a few weeks ago. Every Saturday we pick a place to get curbside delivery. We've asked everyone how they're doing through all of this, and so far they all say that business is good and things are stable. I don't know if they're being honest or reluctant to say it's not going so well. Still no open Chinese restaurants.
        I'm trying to do the same in our little town. So far, everyone I have talked to have said they are barely making enough to stay afloat. I wish I could support them more, because nearly every one of this restaurants has supported our local schools with fundraisers every year, without hesitation. We're a tourist town that has told tourists to stay away. I'm not sure they are all going to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
          I'm trying to do the same in our little town. So far, everyone I have talked to have said they are barely making enough to stay afloat. I wish I could support them more, because nearly every one of this restaurants has supported our local schools with fundraisers every year, without hesitation. We're a tourist town that has told tourists to stay away. I'm not sure they are all going to make it.
          Many of them won't.

My son is a chef. The owner of his restaurant also owns a second restaurant.....a fine-dining steakhouse, known for it's tableside presentations. The other place is closed completely, and my son's is open for curbside pick-up. On a good day, they're doing maybe 25% of the business they did typically. The owner has already shared that, unless things open up a bit, he probably can't continue curbside service past the end of the month. The greatly-reduced payroll is still too high for the little bit of revenue coming in the door.

The question for many of these places is whether or not they'll be able to open back up, later. Even then, crowds will be dispersed, inventory depleted. For many, it just won't be worth it.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
          - President Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
            The money is being provided tax-free. Changing that a year from now will be massively unpopular. I don't envision anyone proposing this down the road.

I don't need a stimulus check (that doesn't mean I'm going to turn it down). I still have my job, and my salary, and I have enough money tucked away that I could likely retire, if I had no other options. That being said, Mrs Maynerd and I are trying to support the locally-owned restaurants and breweries. We're doing Take-Out as often as possible.......certainly much, much more frequently than we would dine out during normal times. It's a lot more expensive than preparing food at home, but those local establishments are in serious trouble, and every order helps them get to tomorrow. So, my stimulus check will do what it was intended to do. It's not going into the bank, but will go toward stimulating the local economy.

If you're still working, still drawing income, and don't have an urgent need for that money, I encourage you to spend it with the guy who's hanging on to his business by a fingernail.
            It’s pretty simple. irs gives interest free loan of x where x =$1,200 in this case to everyone.
            You file your taxes, if you make more than y in 2020 you owe back the $1,200 with your taxes if you make less than y you don’t owe it. Ithink in this case y=$100,000 but I could be off on that.

At least that’s how it should have done.
            Baseball is life;
            the rest is just details.

Comment

I got mine yesterday and am putting it toward medical debt that I owe because this garbage country doesn't have single-payer healthcare, and allows people to go bankrupt for being ill and/or disabled. I don't get to buy anything fun or save it.
              "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                I got mine yesterday and am putting it toward medical debt that I owe because this garbage country doesn't have single-payer healthcare, and allows people to go bankrupt for being ill and/or disabled. I don't get to buy anything fun or save it.
                You can always move to Canada from this garbage country.
                NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

Comment

I live at the Jersey Shore. I'm one town west of the ocean towns. The NJ Governor told people to not come to their summer homes at the shore during this lock down period.

I don't think any of them listened. The town directly to the east of me (where I grew up) is very quiet in the winter. I'd guess at least a third of the homes are second residences for the summer. The Town seems 100% occupied at this time. Lot's of cars with NY plates.

Rich people. Pffft.
                  Brian Cashman: "I have no idea."

Comment

Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post
                    I live at the Jersey Shore. I'm one town west of the ocean towns. The NJ Governor told people to not come to their summer homes at the shore during this lock down period.

I don't think any of them listened. The town directly to the east of me (where I grew up) is very quiet in the winter. I'd guess at least a third of the homes are second residences for the summer. The Town seems 100% occupied at this time. Lot's of cars with NY plates.

Rich people. Pffft.
                    Rules don't apply to them!

Comment

Originally posted by Yankees1962 View Post
                      You can always move to Canada from this garbage country.
                      No, I can't "always" do that. And your passive-aggressive wink is supremely obnoxious. Thanks for the concern for your fellow citizens, though.
                      "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

No, I can't "always" do that. And your passive-aggressive wink is supremely obnoxious. Thanks for the concern for your fellow citizens, though.
                        I don't do passive'aggressive as it's not in my nature so lighten up.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankees1962 View Post
                          I don't do passive'aggressive as it's not in my nature so lighten up.
                          Apparently you do, because that was.

And no. I will not. I will not lighten up about thousands of dollars in medical debt because I live in a backwards country. I'm better off than many, and I'm still suffering. I won't lighten up; I will fight for better for myself and millions more who are even worse off than I am.

Comment

Apparently you do, because that was.

And no. I will not. I will not lighten up about thousands of dollars in medical debt because I live in a backwards country. I'm better off than many, and I'm still suffering. I won't lighten up; I will fight for better for myself and millions more who are even worse off than I am.
                            I'm much more aggressive than passive-aggressive as I was just joking from a term used in a prior political era.

I'm sorry for your financial and medical plight. Keep up the good fight as I won't be there for the finish.

Comment

Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post

Rich people. Pffft.
                              I have a cousin from Manhattan (son of my uncle who died a few weeks ago from CV) that temporarily located to a friend's beach house with his wife, toddler and new infant child. I don't get the Gov's direction. If I could be in an apartment in a very densely populated area, or in a private house in a much less densely populated area, how would the latter be inadvisable for me OR the people that share my area? That's four less potential germ spreaders going up and down an elevator each day, sharing the same space.

Comment

He's not wrong though. You've made it abundantly clear your feelings for this country and for many who reside in it. Continuing to call this country or certain residents of it "garbage" is only done for dramatic effect and is really just trolling at this point. It's a stretch to label that as "fighting for yourself and millions of Americans". You can make your points without the vitriolic, non-value add adjectives that you include intentionally to irritate people who don't share your views.

Comment

Working...
                                X