Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Yes, that's the reason.
    Unless you have lived or worked in a place that has a large seasonal population it's hard to understand that things don't operate the same during the off season. Garbage pick up, utility workers, health care employees, emergency services, etc. You can't just put everything in place overnight for for an unexpected influx of people. And you especially can't do it during a pandemic. I'm sure you are very familiar.

Comment

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
      Unless you have lived or worked in a place that has a large seasonal population it's hard to understand that things don't operate the same during the off season. Garbage pick up, utility workers, health care employees, emergency services, etc. You can't just put everything in place overnight for for an unexpected influx of people. And you especially can't do it during a pandemic. I'm sure you are very familiar.
      Very.

The difference between the last week of August and the first week of September is stark.
      Brian Cashman: "I have no idea."

Comment

Originally posted by Bub View Post
        When's the next election?
        Nov. 2022.
        "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Comment

I live at the Jersey Shore. I'm one town west of the ocean towns. The NJ Governor told people to not come to their summer homes at the shore during this lock down period.

I don't think any of them listened. The town directly to the east of me (where I grew up) is very quiet in the winter. I'd guess at least a third of the homes are second residences for the summer. The Town seems 100% occupied at this time. Lot's of cars with NY plates.

Rich people. Pffft.
          They need to be eaten, and this further proves that.
          "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
            They need to be eaten, and this further proves that.
            Was this just too good an opportunity to pass up a cliche-drop, or do you really resent that people are temporarily migrating from a super densely populated area to a less densely populated area? How does this support your ideology exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
              Was this just too good an opportunity to pass up a cliche-drop, or do you really resent that people are temporarily migrating from a super densely populated area to a less densely populated area? How does this support your ideology exactly?
              So do you honestly not see any problem with seasonal communities not having the capacity to deal with an unexpected influx of people and the burden it places on the town's and their year round residents?

Comment

So do you honestly not see any problem with seasonal communities not having the capacity to deal with an unexpected influx of people and the burden it places on the town's and their year round residents?
                So you’re saying people shouldn’t be allowed to stay in a place they legally own because it’s the wrong time of year?
                Baseball is life;
                the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
                  So you’re saying people shouldn’t be allowed to stay in a place they legally own because it’s the wrong time of year?
                  No. I'm saying rich people often tend to be thoughtless and inconsiderate.

Comment

Water is wet?
                    Baseball is life;
                    the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
                      Water is wet?
                      Ha. Yeah. It's just that these people that are fleeing the city to their summer or weekend place in the burbs are causing a lot of problems. Sure they should be allowed. It's not illegal. But I don't think the takes here that it's all just okey-dokey and why would anyone have a problem with it are very well thought out.

Comment

We're talking about less than ideal situations across the country here.

Yes, I honestly do not see the problem with a family of four putting strain on seasonal community resources by temporarily relocating to a sparsely populated area if the alternative is being packed into an apartment with thousands of people in roughly an equivalent footprint. They are less at risk, and they are creating a lower risk level to others.

I empathize with the plight of permanent residents in those areas, but I'd say I'd rather have the Governor of NJ work with local leadership to address the need for more local resources at the beach than have the Governor of NY continue to talk about the breathtakingly painful trends they are experiencing in NYC.

Also, I know it was really just an opportunity to say "eat the rich", but my cousins that temporarily relocated from the NYC to a Jersey beach home are not rich at all. They are fortunate to have rich friends though that are not using the property. Also, not everyone that lives permanently in these beach towns is poor.

Ha. Yeah. It's just that these people that are fleeing the city to their summer or weekend place in the burbs are causing a lot of problems. Sure they should be allowed. It's not illegal. But I don't think the takes here that it's all just okey-dokey and why would anyone have a problem with it are very well thought out.
                        Who said this?

This wasn't the thrust of the point.

Comment

Was that a response to me? Not yours obviously, but the one that this was a response to? If so, I'm amused that said person hasn't figured out that I've had him on ignore for months. :lol:
                          "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                            Was that a response to me? Not yours obviously, but the one that this was a response to? If so, I'm amused that said person hasn't figured out that I've had him on ignore for months. :lol:
                            I'm all sorts of torn up about it. I've figured it out, but there's other people here worth talking to.

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
                              We're talking about less than ideal across the country here.

Yes, I honestly do not see the problem with a family of four putting strain on seasonal community resources by temporarily relocating to a sparsely populated area if the alternative is being packed into an apartment with thousands of people in roughly an equivalent footprint. They are less at risk, and they are creating a lower risk level to others.

I empathize with the plight of permanent residents in those areas, but I'd say I'd rather have the Governor of NJ work with local leadership to address the need for more local resources at the beach than have the Governor of NY continue to talk about the breathtakingly painful trends they are experiencing in NYC.

Also, I know it was really just an opportunity to say "eat the rich", but my cousins that temporarily relocated from the NYC to a Jersey beach home are not rich at all. They are fortunate to have rich friends though that are not using the property. Also, not everyone that lives permanently in these beach towns is poor.
                              But it isn't one family of 4, it's everyone. There is little parking, they all came. And they had to close the boardwalk and the tennis courts and the parks and now all the people are walking along the streets. Some social distancing, but at times and in spots it's hard to.

It was a good idea by the Gov. Not many listened.

Sorry for the dig at the rich. I should have left that part out. It's a dig at people.
                              Brian Cashman: "I have no idea."

Comment

But it isn't one family of 4, it's everyone. There is little parking, they all came. And they had to close the boardwalk and the tennis courts and the parks and now all the people are walking along the streets. Some social distancing, but at times and in spots it's hard to.

It was a good idea by the Gov. Not many listened.

Sorry for the dig at the rich. I should have left that part out. It's a dig at people.
                                You don't need to apologize for digs at the rich, JDP. They're doing just fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X