Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by False1 View Post
    This seemed to be the case with both my uncle and aunt that passed from coronavirus. The ventilator sustained them for a while, but eventually their organs just started shutting down.
    Just saw this: Very sad. Really sorry.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Comment

Originally posted by YFIB View Post
      That's not enough to get him reelected. The question will be how those few who are still in the middle will vote - which is hard to guess at this point in time.

The next 7 months are going to be hard to take, with him trying to blame everything on governors, China, Democrats and whatever other scapegoat he can think of for his incompetence.
      I've been saying for since he was elected: the 2016 and 2020 results don't tell us about the candidates - they will tell us about the electorate.

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
        I fear the actual percentage of imbeciles is much higher than that.
        I checked the math.

46.1% is definitely higher than 25%.

Comment

Originally posted by ajra21 View Post
          I've been saying for since he was elected: the 2016 and 2020 results don't tell us about the candidates - they will tell us about the electorate.
          Every election tells us about both the candidates and the electorate.

You can't eliminate the candidates from any election analysis and expect to learn anything of value.

Any smart company that makes a product which doesn't sell is not going to exclusively blame the consumers for not buying it. They'll also take stock of what caused the consumers to turn away from the product in the first place.
          Stay "We" my friends

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post
            Despite the plentiful number of crackpots involved in these protests, there does seem to be an undercurrent of anxiety for some about not being able to work, which is understandable if one is worried about having enough money to survive economically.

Part of me wonders how many of these protesters would stay home if the US did a short-term UBI (something like $2K per month per adult, in perpetuity until all lock-downs are lifted) instead of that one-time stimulus check or expanded unemployment benefits.

To be clear, I'm not saying I support them. Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but I'd like to believe at least some of these protesters are motivated by more than the fact they can't go golfing.
            There's a lot of people fearing the virus but also how to feed their families. Many they show on TV or quote in the media are "give me liberty or give me death" fanatics but not all.

Your suggestion is a good one, and should become a playbook concept for future pandemics. Which is one of the most important things that should but likely won't happen after we come out the other side of this. Create a playbook that focuses solely on how to protect lives and protect the economy. During a pandemic is not the time for our knuckleheads in Washington to be playing politics as thousands are dying and millions are losing jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
              I’m still trying to process the TX Lt. Governor's political philosophy: "There are more important things than living."

Edit: I’m also still trying to process the GA governor's order, under which fitness centers, tattoo parlors, barbers, nail and hair salons, and massage parlors will be able to open again. Because those businesses don’t have much close contact anyway, I guess.
              Right there with, "the cure can't be worse than the disease." Someone threw that at Cuomo during his daily press conference and he just said, "the disease is death."

Looks like Monroe County might be hitting its peak.

Originally posted by 4bronxbombers
              Well....I am a total bacon whore...
              :thatsodd: <--- The Ryan emoticon.

Comment

You can't eliminate the candidates from any election analysis and expect to learn anything of value.

Any smart company that makes a product which doesn't sell is not going to exclusively blame the consumers for not buying it. They'll also take stock of what caused the consumers to turn away from the product in the first place.
                If we have to put up with another four years of Trump, there will be many contributing factors one could point to but the fact that we're seeing two really poor Democratic presidential candidates in back to back elections will undoubtedly be on of them, the one most controllable by the Democratic party and the one that will probably get the least attention relative to it's importance.

Comment

Sure. People vote for the person closest to themselves out of the options.

In 2016, we learned that 46.1% of the population saw themselves as being closer to Trump than Hilary.

Fairly damning.

Same goes for Brits who voted for Brexit.

Comment

Without delving too far into politics, I feel like one of the trends here is that an unknown is more appealing than a known. For Britain, 'Brexit' included any number of possibilities, including a relationship with the EU more like Norway (in the EU in all but name) or Canada (basic trade agreement from half-way around the world). So people could put their hopes and dreams into a vaguely-labelled container, even if the reality of it could only be much narrower.

For US presidential elections, you could say the same about 2016 - a relative 'known' against a relative 'unknown' in terms of leadership at that level. 2020 looks more like two 'knowns' to me.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
                    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

Comment

Originally posted by ajra21 View Post
                      Don’t forget the Russians. It will tell us a lot about the Russians.
                      Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Sen. Elizabeth Warren's brother has died from COVID-19.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...liveBlogHeader

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., said Thursday that her oldest brother died from coronavirus earlier this week.

“My oldest brother, Don Reed, died from coronavirus on Tuesday evening. He joined the Air Force at 19 and spent his career in the military, including five and a half years off and on in combat in Vietnam. He was charming and funny, a natural leader,” the former presidential candidate said, linking to a story from The Boston Globe about her brother’s death.

Comment

Originally posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
                          Sen. Elizabeth Warren's brother has died from COVID-19.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...liveBlogHeader
                          She knew this was coming and couldn't do anything.
                          "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Mitch McConnell's plan is to allow NY State to default on my pension. Literally.
                            Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Mitch McConnell's plan is to allow NY State to default on my pension. Literally.
                              Funny the turtle has a problem with “blue state bailouts” when year in and year out red states exist off the taxes from blue states. Ok turtle you want an end? Going forward a new law that for every dollar of tax each state sends to the federal level, they must get one dollar back in services or aid. Deal?

Comment

Same with NJ and my mom's. The Republicans are going to use this disaster to break the backs of public workers (and more specifically their unions) and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

Comment

Working...
                                X