2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Who is the last elite free agent position player the Yankees have signed? Teixeira? And was CC the last top tier free agent pitcher they signed prior to Cole? I’m seriously blanking on any major free agent signings from 2000 - 2010.
    They don't seem to prioritize position players as free agents (which I generally think is smart).

Technically, DJ last year would be the last elite position player signed (he was thought to be elite going into the offseason).

Comment

Originally posted by Strategerie View Post

You can (and should, IMO) mix and match. It is true though that it is much easier to maximize y (annualized surplus value) when x (payroll) is low.

For a team like the Yankees, they will likely make some inefficient moves in order to preserve their brand value. That's why they rarely sell, despite it often being the smart move. I also think they will strongly consider Judge's brand value when deciding whether to trade him or extend him (obviously, they could do neither too). If they extend him, I hope they keep the AAV to around 25M and the years to 4 to 6.
      Making inefficient moves has primarily been the Yankee way (outside of the Gene Michael / Bob Watson era) over the past 45 years. I know I'm in the minority here when I say this but unless you can move Stanton, Judge's value to the Yankees is what he can bring back in a trade.

eta: I meant no ill will earlier.
      “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Who is the last elite free agent position player the Yankees have signed? Teixeira? And was CC the last top tier free agent pitcher they signed prior to Cole? I’m seriously blanking on any major free agent signings from 2000 - 2010.
        Moose.
        “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

They don't seem to prioritize position players as free agents (which I generally think is smart).

Technically, DJ last year would be the last elite position player signed (he was thought to be elite going into the offseason).
          I don’t consider LeMahieu elite. He has a career 101 OPS+. I forgot about Ellsbury. He was considered a top tier free agent when we signed him.
          David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
            This escalated fast. How did you get that out of his comments? That seems like a really cynical view of what he is saying.
            All because we won't pay 300mil fr a top SS when we have other needs right? I mean i would prefer a top pitcher any day over a top tier SS

Comment

Edit: forgot about Ellsbury (lol)
              Tanaka in 2014. $155mil I believe. But he’s a pitcher of course.

I guess LeMahieu it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Portbb View Post

Tanaka in 2014. $155mil I believe. But he’s a pitcher of course.

I guess LeMahieu it is.
                Good call on Tanaka.
                David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Comment

To me, all SP is a lottery ticket to some degree. I view Severino as a similar lottery ticket to Verlander, who just got 2 &50.
                  Without Verlander's track record of accomplishment.

I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Comment

Originally posted by HelloNewman View Post
                    Without Verlander's track record of accomplishment.
                    You are free to disagree. My statement is subjective in nature. Implying that it is ridiculous is strange to me.

Sevy had a 5.5 WAR in his last 2 full seasons (and a high Cy Young finisher both years). Sevy is also much younger. Verlander was better than Sevy in his last 2 seasons but worse in the 5 seasons preceding that.

Comment

Edit: forgot about Ellsbury (lol)
                      Do you count Tanaka. Was Kuroda a free agent?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyWilliams View Post

All because we won't pay 300mil fr a top SS when we have other needs right? I mean i would prefer a top pitcher any day over a top tier SS
                        Well, in fairness I don't agree with your POV on that LOL. I think they desperately need a top SS, even at $300MM. I'm hoping Seager can maybe be had for just under that. Cohen really screwed things up giving Lindor that massive extension when he didn't have to, and right before this bumper crop of FAs.

Comment

You are free to disagree. My statement is subjective in nature. Implying that it is ridiculous is strange to me.

Sevy had a 5.5 WAR in his last 2 full seasons (and a high Cy Young finisher both years). Sevy is also much younger. Verlander was better than Sevy in his last 2 seasons but worse in the 5 seasons preceding that.
                          I know it was only a handful of innings, but I thought Sevvy looked pretty damn good last year in relief. So while the health will always be a concern the stuff at least looked top flight to me. His changeup looked downright filthy. He used it much more often, it had a .111 xwoba and a 40% whiff rate. Granted, it was only 26 changeups but I saw every one of them and it looked like a real weapon when he was mixing it in.

Comment

I wish we could stop relying on injured pitchers. When we were winning in the 90s we had healthy and great pitchers. We don't do that anymore. No wonder we don't win anymore.
                            [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Comment

See I don't think this is smart. Taking 10 year contracts off the table because they rarely work out for a position player or pitcher, I think free agents bats are much more likely to live up to their contract.

I think you should build your starting rotation through the farm and trades. The best ones rarely hit free agency.

Comment

Wonder what it will take to sign Rizzo on a short term deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X