2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnewmark View Post

Maybe they don't bring back Gardner, trade Gallo, Hicks becomes 4th outfielder, Stanton goes back to DH/Outfield, Voit traded to NL, if DH goes there ?
    Occam's Razor: The "report" is BS.

I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Comment

Originally posted by Strategerie View Post

1. Hicks should be a big upgrade from what they got out of CF last year
      2. Gallo (He had the 5th highest WAR in 2021 at the time of the trade) should be a big upgrade from what they got out of LF last year
      3. Voit should be a huge upgrade from first base last year
      4. Urshela should be a big upgrade from 3b/Urshela last year
      5. Gleyber should be an upgrade from Gleyber last year
      6. DJ should be an upgrade, possibly a big one, from DJ last year (particularly if his poor performance was due to his physical ailments)

That's 6 of 9 offensive positions that should have real rebound potential. I think Judge, Stanton, and Sanchez can all be expected to be relatively flat to 2021 (although Sanchez has some upside too).

There was mass offensive underperformance to track records in 2021. If people rebound to their track records (a big if), there is massive rebound potential for the offense. It's somewhat moot at this point though because we don't know what the 2022 team will look likand we will likely sell on a few players off of their bad 2021s).
      How many more injuries will it take for the organization to realize relying on Hicks is fools gold, and btw were talking about a .230 hitter. Regarding Gallo, l’ ve said this before and it’s worth repeating, he represents everything that’s wrong with the organization. .200 hitter with 40% strikeouts, 2 sac flies in his entire career, etc.

Sure if everyone stays healthy and have bounce back years there’s upside on the roster. On the other hand will Judge and Staton stay healthy again the entire season? How about Chapman? Bit of a lose cannon there don’t you think?

The bottom line is a team with a 220 million dollar payroll should not have this many question marks. How Cashman still has a job is mind boggling, he must have pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vanderlay View Post

How many more injuries will it take for the organization to realize relying on Hicks is fools gold, and btw were talking about a .230 hitter. Regarding Gallo, l’ ve said this before and it’s worth repeating, he represents everything that’s wrong with the organization. .200 hitter with 40% strikeouts, 2 sac flies in his entire career, etc.

Sure if everyone stays healthy and have bounce back years there’s upside in the lineup. On the other hand will Judge and Staton stay healthy again the entire season? How about Chapman? Bit of a lose cannon there don’t you think?

The bottom line is a team with a 220 million dollar payroll should not have this many question marks. How Cashman still has a job is mind boggling, he must have pictures.

And a weakling, mediocre, place-blocking, supposedly 4th outfielder named Gardner who ends up being Boone's continual 3rd outfielder. At least Gallo has an arm and defense that keep the opposition to conservative base running.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vanderlay View Post

Sure if everyone stays healthy and have bounce back years there’s upside on the roster. On the other hand will Judge and Staton stay healthy again the entire season? How about Chapman? Bit of a lose cannon there don’t you think?

Agree. I don't like when people project improvement in the hypothetical scenario where everyone is healthy and playing to their ability. You have to have the downside projection too and weigh them at least equally if not put more weight on the downside to setup the team to over deliver rather than meet or underperform expectations.

I mean the Yankees had 1832 cumulative days of players on the IL last season. In 2019 it was 4208 days. Even under optimistic circumstances (like 2017) its still over 900 days.

Assume injuries, build your roster for them because they are guaranteed in fairly large quantities. If you're lucky they'll impact lower impact players primarily. But if you have an injury prone roster like the Yankees do you don't get that luxury. 2019 would've been a disaster without the juiced ball.

Comment

If these were the only two options for 1B in 2022,

what is the smarter move:

Sign Freddy Freeman for 6yrs/$180M

or

Trade top prospects and more for Matt Olson

??
            "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

or

??
              Sign Freeman.
              Trade the prospects that you were going to deal for Olson; to the Pirates to land Reynolds
              Sign Story to a high AAV short term deal.

Comment

Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

or

??
                I think it depends on the opportunity cost that each option represents, and how they fit into the overall strategy. If they trade top prospects for Olson, and use their financial clout to sign Correa, that would obviously be the better "option for 1B in 2022" than if they just signed Freeman and kept their prospects. Conversely if you sign Freeman and use chips to acquire Reynolds for example, that would alter the evaluation.

Honestly if they're not going to go big at 1B and SS at a minimum (clearly not going to at C and possibly not at CF), I question whether either of these 1B moves should be made. Both are big "win now" moves, but neither really elevates this team by themselves to WS favorite. If you're in the mode of pushing all your chips in, Olson makes some sense - but if you're not, he's potentially gone in two years. Freeman you'd have for six years, but really the first three are probably the ones you can count of most for elite production, so it's the opposite problem with him... if you're not in "win now" mode he doesn't net you a championship during the tail end of his prime but you have him on the roster for his likely downturn.

Again, my issue isn't really about how much or how little they spend (although I do think after resetting the tax they're showing sings of not spending enough) but more about the lack of a clear strategy (other than the very obvious strategy that just resulted in them resetting the tax). Now what?

Comment

Originally posted by yank4life2005 View Post

Sign Freeman.
                  Trade the prospects that you were going to deal for Olson; to the Pirates to land Reynolds

this x1000

Comment

Sign Freeman.
                    The package it will take to acquire Reynolds will be far greater than the package it will take to acquire Olson.
                    If you think the Yankees will gut their farm system and run with a $250+ million payroll, you haven't been paying attention during the last 5 years.
                    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

The package it will take to acquire Reynolds will be far greater than the package it will take to acquire Olson.
                      If you think the Yankees will gut their farm system and run with a $250+ million payroll, you haven't been paying attention during the last 5 years.
                      True.

Yanks need to pay Judge so they will probably be better off with Rizzo at 1B and sign Simmons/Iglesias for SS on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Comment

So far Hicks batting a whopping .209 in the Dominican league.

Comment

Originally posted by ymike673 View Post
                          How's his golf been though?

Comment

Originally posted by Mixwell View Post

How's his golf been though?
                            I heard he tore his right oblique using a gap wedge on the approach while playing a 350-yard dog leg at Dominican Pines. Without setbacks should be ready sometime in July. If not there's always 2023, he's not going anywhere, 7 years, $70 million suckas, Ca$hmoney baby! I understand Cashman is very optimistic that it's nothing serious though and fully expects him to be ready for spring training, no corresponding moves except he's going to sweeten the pot for Brett Gardner by a mil or 2.
                            I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Comment

Yanks need to pay Judge so they will probably be better off with Rizzo at 1B and sign Simmons/Iglesias for SS on a 1 or 2 year deal.
                              I can see them doing this ^

I hope Judge doesn't get more than 7yrs/$210M. Please Just Say No to 8 years! Signing Judge might be part of the reason why they decided not to go for Seager or Correa. Maybe when Judge came out and said "I want to be a Yankee for life", this whole strategy was put into place.

Isn't Rizzo going to get at least 3yrs/$45M? Would it be better to trade for Olson (aka GiveUpTopTalent) and only be committed to about $30M for 2 years? I dunno.

Either way, Luke Voit (and possibly Gleyber Torres) should be shopping for good moving companies in December, IMO. Come on NL, ADOPT THE UNIVERSAL DH!

A 2yr deal for Iglesias (IMO Simmons will be too expensive in the big picture) would be fine by me, giving Peraza and/or Volpe a chance to make an impact in 2023. If they can get the rest of the offense rolling, they won't need much offensive production out of the SS position, and the defense gets better.

I guess if they put band-aids on 1B and SS and get a TOR starter, they'll live with Sanchez/Higashioka for another year and perhaps give Florial a real opportunity to be the 4th OFer/backup CFer. I kind of like an OF consisting of Gallo/Hicks/Judge/Florial/Stanton.

"Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by ymike673 View Post
                                Slotted in as the 2022 number three hitter. Switch hitting for the WIN.
                                Brian Cashman: "I have no idea."

Comment

Working...
                                X