Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by matt2351 View Post
    The Dodgers have now advanced to the NLCS for the fifth time in the last six seasons. I will be shocked if they don't get past the Braves and end up in the WS for the fourth time in the last five seasons. It's a shame for baseball fans that MLB's absurd playoff format had the two best teams in the game playing in a division series of only five games.

    Andrew Freidman inherited a strong Dodgers team, but has improved the entire organization during his time at the helm and they now are the premier franchise in the sport. NGL, I am jealous.
    The playoff team with the best record plays the team with the 4th best record. How simple is that. So this season Giants would have played the Braves and Dodgers the Brewers in the first round. Automatically saying the best record plays the WC team just does not make sense.

    Comment


      It also means that the 106 win Dodgers, after beating a 107 win team, will face an 88 win Braves team that has home field advantage in the series.

      Comment


        Originally posted by ymike673 View Post

        The playoff team with the best record plays the team with the 4th best record. How simple is that. So this season Giants would have played the Braves and Dodgers the Brewers in the first round. Automatically saying the best record plays the WC team just does not make sense.
        Agree.
        More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

        Comment


          Originally posted by sd. View Post
          It also means that the 106 win Dodgers, after beating a 107 win team, will face an 88 win Braves team that has home field advantage in the series.
          It is 100% clownish.

          Comment


            Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post

            Nevin had some bad sends and his last one was probably a fireable offense... But I always got the feeling that Phil was the best coach/baseball man on the ML roster. I could be wrong, but I had the impression he was annoyed by the Yankees bad use of analytics and lack of use of baseball smarts and feel for the game.
            Again I could be way off base here, but he's probably glad to be out of this nut house and hopes to get a job in a smarter organization. Maybe even one that can afford ball boys down the foul lines.

            I guess we'll see. I think Phil is a good guy. Kinda sorry to see him go (bad sends notwithstanding).
            You're probably not wrong: https://www.yahoo.com/now/mlb-inside...193007043.html

            Martino reporting that the front office was leery of Nevin's relationship with Boone and blame him for the in game moves that they didn't agree with. Even if that is true, if you are in the front office wouldn't the correct move be to remove Boone?
            David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

            Comment


              Originally posted by False1 View Post
              I'd like Marte, I'd love Seager... but honestly I don't think SP is where they need to make major investments. Plus, I know Verlander is other-worldly but Father Time catches up to everyone and who knows how much the sticky stuff helped him. We haven't seen him without it and he's effectively missed two full seasons now. If he wanted a one year deal similar to what Kluber got? Maybe. But that's now how I'd invest my money on this roster. Also, I was one of the few here that wanted Cashman to acquire Ray at the deadline in '20 as a cheap project for Blake to work on. But he's exactly the guy I would NOT want the Yankees to lock into now with a fat, multi-year deal. We missed that opportunity and should not compound that mistake now.

              I love Voit's bat and I believe in German's upside, but if this is even remotely possible Cashman should be ALL OVER THIS. Even add to it.

              Same with this. This would be an absolute coup. I don't see why the Marlins would want two broken players - in spite of their upside and their windows of proven production at the ML level - but if they would, get this done. I'd be shocked if some other team didn't blow that offer out of the water though.

              I haven't completely given up on Garcia, but would still probably give up those two + Sanchez to get Contreras who is an upgrade on both sides of the game. Plus, the Sanchez experiment needs to end.


              I like a lot of this. And in spite of people saying how much this would cost and how it would deplete some of the system's young, cost controlled talent I think this is the type of bold "rebuild on the fly" action this team needs to be a serious contender. Personally I'd avoid Verlander and especially Ray, save those dollars and see what Cleveland will command for JRam. JRam, Olson, Seager and Marte would completely revamp this offense overnight. I think with what we saw from the pitching staff this year in Blake's first true full season with the team, with Severino back in the mix with German, Schmidt, Gil... I'd probably look to replace Kluber but that's about it. I'd love that Lopez deal (although I think it would take a much different package).
              Agree with all of this.

              They really should be in on Marte but I'm convinced they're not going to make any changes to the outfield. It's going to be Gallo/Hicks/Judge until Hicks gets hurt, and then it's Yankee scholarship player for life Gardner in CF for another season.
              David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

              Comment


                Originally posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
                You're probably not wrong: https://www.yahoo.com/now/mlb-inside...193007043.html

                Martino reporting that the front office was leery of Nevin's relationship with Boone and blame him for the in game moves that they didn't agree with. Even if that is true, if you are in the front office wouldn't the correct move be to remove Boone?
                No, because Boone is just calling the plays the front office feeds him. So in this case Boone is the hero.

                But, this is YankeeLand. Where an incompetent friend of the family runs the show.
                Brian Cashman: "I have no idea."

                Comment


                  Originally posted by hhill View Post

                  IS he a free agent?
                  Yes he is.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by ymike673 View Post

                    The playoff team with the best record plays the team with the 4th best record. How simple is that. So this season Giants would have played the Braves and Dodgers the Brewers in the first round. Automatically saying the best record plays the WC team just does not make sense.
                    5 teams make the playoffs. You left the Cardinals out in your example. And they had a better record than the Braves.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by matt2351 View Post
                      The Dodgers have now advanced to the NLCS for the fifth time in the last six seasons. I will be shocked if they don't get past the Braves and end up in the WS for the fourth time in the last five seasons. It's a shame for baseball fans that MLB's absurd playoff format had the two best teams in the game playing in a division series of only five games.

                      Andrew Freidman inherited a strong Dodgers team, but has improved the entire organization during his time at the helm and they now are the premier franchise in the sport. NGL, I am jealous.
                      Dodger, Red Sox and Astros are dominating baseball. Rays as well, if you consider resources.
                      Q: Who’s the guy on your roster that would have been overlooked if not for analytics? Cashman: Ronald Torreyes. He’s an analytical darling.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by sd. View Post
                        It also means that the 106 win Dodgers, after beating a 107 win team, will face an 88 win Braves team that has home field advantage in the series.
                        That part I understand. The WC team never gets home field over a division winner no matter what their W/L records are.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Portbb View Post

                          5 teams make the playoffs. You left the Cardinals out in your example. And they had a better record than the Braves.
                          I did not leave them out. The two WCs have to play each other. So I am going by the 4 teams remaining after the WC game.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
                            You're probably not wrong: https://www.yahoo.com/now/mlb-inside...193007043.html

                            Martino reporting that the front office was leery of Nevin's relationship with Boone and blame him for the in game moves that they didn't agree with. Even if that is true, if you are in the front office wouldn't the correct move be to remove Boone?
                            This is textbook PR and Martino is basically reading a Yankees' press release. Cashman clearly wants Boone to remain, but he also want to muddy the waters by giving the appearance of accountability. In the process, Nevin is tacitly being blamed for bad moves. It's disappointing to see Martino report in this manner. Even his intro to this clip saying, "We're not expecting Brian Cashman to be gone. He's still under contract and there is no reason to think he would be gone" is not objective. By stating this as indisputable fact, he is, intentionally or not, marking the outer bounds of acceptable discourse. Advertently or inadvertently, these subtle messages, echoed over and over in different spaces, shape public opinion.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by ThePinStripes View Post

                              Dodger, Red Sox and Astros are dominating baseball. Rays as well, if you consider resources.
                              They all seem to be able to navigate the crapshoot pretty well.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by ymike673 View Post

                                I did not leave them out. The two WCs have to play each other. So I am going by the 4 teams remaining after the WC game.
                                Why would the two WC's have to play each other if you want it seeded by W-L record? Cards and Dodgers had a better record than the Braves. If winning the division has to mean something then isn't this currently being done the "right way"?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X