X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RhodyYanksFan
    replied
    Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post

Three weeks ago Omicron was worse than now.
    I understand that, but it's not like it's dropped to where things were in June. We're still over 250,000 reported cases a day. Even in the worst of delta that was rarely over 100k.

Leave a comment:

• trapper700
    replied
    Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

How common are these?
    Anywhere between 10% and 30% of people who get covid get long covid. Some studies even showing half of patients having at least one long covid symptom 6 months after the initial infection.

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

Can cases of the normal flu cause similar issues?
    There are cases of long haul flu, but not nearly as frequently and not as severe. As the list of things show, long covid is more than just a respiratory disease as it affects different parts of your body/organs/systems. Flu, even long haul flu, is primarily a respiratory disease. Long covid also usually resulted in multiple symptoms instead of just one or two.

Leave a comment:

• ClownPickle
    replied
    Originally posted by trapper700 View Post

Covid is exponentially more infective than any kind of flu has ever been. The new BA2 variant, for example, is about 30% more infective than the original omicron and you will get it the moment you are in a room maskless (or take it off to eat/drink) with someone who has it.

Covid also doesn't care about natural immunity or vaccination/boosters when it comes to reinfection. Prior infection with omicron results in poor immune protection from getting it again, same with breakthrough infections.

Covid has a long long long list of problems it can cause in someone's body, even if they had a "mild" case when they first got infected:
    How common are these? Can cases of the normal flu cause similar issues?

Leave a comment:

• YFIB
    replied
    Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
    I know full well what it means, but I was responding to Rhody saying "This is why nobody knows what to believe." The implication in March 2020 was that if we listened to the science, we wouldn't still be talking about masks, isolation, and ER availability in 2022.
    If we'd listened to science and just had vaccination rates at the level of the rest of the Western world, we'd have lower death rates and likely wouldn't be talking about ER availability. Two years ago, who would have guessed we'd make vaccination a political issue and watch people die needlessly?

Leave a comment:

• trapper700
    replied
    Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Why do you think it'll be worse than the flu? I'm hopeful it will be similar, but admittedly I'm not a physician or scientist.
    Covid is exponentially more infective than any kind of flu has ever been. The new BA2 variant, for example, is about 30% more infective than the original omicron and you will get it the moment you are in a room maskless (or take it off to eat/drink) with someone who has it.

Covid also doesn't care about natural immunity or vaccination/boosters when it comes to reinfection. Prior infection with omicron results in poor immune protection from getting it again, same with breakthrough infections.

Covid has a long long long list of problems it can cause in someone's body, even if they had a "mild" case when they first got infected:

Leave a comment:

• Maynerd
    replied
    Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

Two years later and you still haven't learned what that means. Amazing.
    I know full well what it means, but I was responding to Rhody saying "This is why nobody knows what to believe." The implication in March 2020 was that if we listened to the science, we wouldn't still be talking about masks, isolation, and ER availability in 2022.

Leave a comment:

• YankeePride1967
    replied
    Originally posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post

I know it's not just about NJ, I'm just trying to figure out why it's happening now here. I do agree with you that there are fairly obvious political incentives in other states.
    I think mostly political and also Omicron is almost gone so gives them a “reason”. I think unless another variant comes (I think they will as still too few people worldwide are unvaccinated) mandates will go away

Leave a comment:

• RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post

Yes NJ is one of 3 that isn’t up but the rest are. And this isn’t just about NJ. It is the other states removing the mandates. Multiple blue states are doing so. Even beyond Governor the US House and 1/3 of the Senate are up for election
    I know it's not just about NJ, I'm just trying to figure out why it's happening now here. I do agree with you that there are fairly obvious political incentives in other states.

Leave a comment:

• Texsahara
    replied
    Originally posted by False1 View Post

If that's the strategy it's a poor one. Seems like most voters will fall into three groups as it relates to this issue:
    1. Anti-school mask mandators. This group may be appeased that the mandates are being lifted, but they will still resent that they were issued and the removal in their minds will validate their views on masks being unnecessary and/or harmful for kids. Limited if any impact on votes.
    2. Pro-school mask mandators. Many in this group may be reasonable/indifferent but some will be concerned about greater risk of exposure to their kids in the near term. If another outbreak occurs they may resent R takes on masks but will hold the D leaders accountable. Limited if any impact on votes.
    3. Undecideds. The ongoing merry-go-round of mask guidance, if it has any effect at all on this group, probably leaves them confused and with the impression that current leadership lacks credibility. Cloth masks good, cloth masks bad. Need N95s, now no mask mandate at all. Probably limited impact on votes, but leaning towards costing votes.
    The only thing working in the Ds favor is the extreme far right position on masks and many other topics that matter to voters IMHO. I think the mid-terms are going to be painful for Ds, but if Rs had any sort of more centrist positions and put Trump in the corner they'd clean up shop.
    I don't think specific policies about masks are going to have an impact but the overall look of how covid has been handled will be huge. And that can swing one way or the other depending on how it's going at the time. Voters have short memories. Agree that the mid-terms are going to be painful for Ds though. They have plenty of time to fix that but they don't understand politics.

Leave a comment:

• Texsahara
    replied

Two weeks to flatten the curve!
    Two years later and you still haven't learned what that means. Amazing.

Leave a comment:

• False1
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post

Election year. I think the Dems feel if they kept the mandates the governors in the blue states might be in trouble
    If that's the strategy it's a poor one. Seems like most voters will fall into three groups as it relates to this issue:
    1. Anti-school mask mandators. This group may be appeased that the mandates are being lifted, but they will still resent that they were issued and the removal in their minds will validate their views on masks being unnecessary and/or harmful for kids. Limited if any impact on votes.
    2. Pro-school mask mandators. Many in this group may be reasonable/indifferent but some will be concerned about greater risk of exposure to their kids in the near term. If another outbreak occurs they may resent R takes on masks but will hold the D leaders accountable. Limited if any impact on votes.
    3. Undecideds. The ongoing merry-go-round of mask guidance, if it has any effect at all on this group, probably leaves them confused and with the impression that current leadership lacks credibility. Cloth masks good, cloth masks bad. Need N95s, now no mask mandate at all. Probably limited impact on votes, but leaning towards costing votes.
    The only thing working in the Ds favor is the extreme far right position on masks and many other topics that matter to voters IMHO. I think the mid-terms are going to be painful for Ds, but if Rs had any sort of more centrist positions and put Trump in the corner they'd clean up shop.

Leave a comment:

• YFIB
    replied

As in other countries, it burned itself out more than anything, so maybe we need to accept that there's some data supporting this. This article was from a couple of weeks ago in Massachusetts:

Gov. Charlie Baker was asked that question during a media availability Tuesday and sounded optimistic that the surge might be nearing its end.

"The current state of play on the wastewater treatment data, generally the broader collection of data is it's down probably somewhere between 65 and 70% of where it was at the peak a couple weeks ago, which is exactly the same trajectory that people saw with omicron in the U.K., South Africa and in other parts of the U.S.," he said. "It's a straight up and a straight down. Several people have written about this and it appears to be good news."
    https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...setts/2615447/

Leave a comment:

• Maynerd
    replied
    Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    So three weeks ago everyone NEEDED to wear N95s and now it's ok to ditch mask mandates? This is why nobody knows what to believe.

Leave a comment:

• YankeePride1967
    replied
    Originally posted by YFIB View Post

I think it's both. Clearly, the big wave of Omicron has crested. But with elections coming up, I agree the Democrats want to be seen as responding to the Covid fatigue.
    I agree but I think the Dems are under a lot of pressure to lose the image of the “lock down” party even though the only lockdown was when the pandemic first started. I understand the reasons are because too many didn’t take this seriously but if you go by polls people are ready to go back to a more sense of normal. I personally don’t see how but I do think whether now or soon it was coming to a head

Leave a comment:

• YankeePride1967
    replied
    Originally posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post

Our Dem governor was just re-elected in 2021 and our next legislative elections are in 2023, so in NJ that wouldn't be the incentive. We've already had no general indoor mask mandate since June, so...we'll see I guess.
    Yes NJ is one of 3 that isn’t up but the rest are. And this isn’t just about NJ. It is the other states removing the mandates. Multiple blue states are doing so. Even beyond Governor the US House and 1/3 of the Senate are up for election

Leave a comment:

Working...
X