Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by YFIB View Post
    Good chance he won't be still having rallies by the time the vaccine is available. I do wonder how this will all play out. I am sure he's not happy it came after the election.

Fauci also deserves a ton of credit. But the logistics of this, including the need for secure cold chain distribution, is another challenge that still have to be faced.

But, yes, this is tremendous news.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Fauci is running operation warp speed or has that much to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
      Interesting if true.
      It is true, but honestly I think it is a bit disingenuous. They originally were going to be part of it (they were awarded 2 billion), then backed out and declined the money once it was clear that the vaccine was going to work because they were unhappy with the demands the government was putting on them. Still, the knowledge that they were guaranteed to avoid any losses from the beginning I'm sure impacted their development rate. That guarantee is why we will have 80 million doses ready between biontech and moderna by the end of the year, rather than them just beginning to scale up production now.

Comment

Originally posted by billyhoyle View Post
        I could be wrong, but I don't think Fauci is running operation warp speed or has that much to do with it.
        His group was working with the private sector on vaccine development before there was a Warp Speed.

Comment

Originally posted by YFIB View Post
          His group was working with the private sector on vaccine development before there was a Warp Speed.
          Yes, true. I do not know the details of what NIADA contributed. It was possibly significant.

Something else to consider is that this is the first clinical trial result of an RNA-based vaccine. The speed with which RNA vaccines can be developed should be a game changer not just for coronavirus and future respiratory virus pandemics, but also for seasonal flu. Honestly, if there is a SARS-COV-3, I'm not sure they will even need to run as long of a clinical trial. The entire purpose of this technology being developed was so it could be rapidly deployed on a battlefield against a biological weapon. The timeline for the next pandemic could go from what we've seen here (~12 months to mass production) to maybe 2-3 months.

Comment

Mike Pence has broken his post-election silence to trumpet the Trump administration’s backing of a new coronavirus vaccine - only for the company to immediately point out that their vaccine had nothing to do with the government.
            https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1719698.html

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
              https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...in-large-study

Pfizer phase three trial shows 90% effective rate. Expected to go to FDA by end of month for approval
              Please let this happen.
              "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Interesting if true.

(it's true)
                So if they're not part of the warp speed federal program thing, does that mean they can charge whatever they want for the vaccine though?

Comment

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
                  So if they're not part of the warp speed federal program thing, does that mean they can charge whatever they want for the vaccine though?
                  What I've read is that they will charge the gov $39 for the two doses and the gov will distribute it to the public at no charge.

Comment

What I've read is that they will charge the gov $39 for the two doses and the gov will distribute it to the public at no charge.
                    Knock me over with a feather if that's how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                      Please let this happen.
                      I have a friend who works for them. He is very confident

Comment

Originally posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
                        Knock me over with a feather if that's how it works out.
                        It’s not going to be expensive per dose. Because it’s a vaccine and everyone has to take it, economies of scale kick in. Then in the future, assuming the virus sticks around for some time due to certain communities refusing vaccination and it is included as part of the standard vaccination set for kids, they will raise the price to probably $150 or so like other new vaccines cost.

Comment

They signed a contract with the government in July.

U.S. government placed an initial order of 100 million doses for $1.95 billion and can acquire up to 500 million additional doses
                          Americans to receive the vaccine for free consistent with U.S. government’s commitment for free access for COVID-19 vaccines
                          Pfizer and BioNTech remain on track to begin an anticipated Phase 2b/3 safety and efficacy trial later this month, seek regulatory review as early as October 2020, and manufacture globally up to 100 million doses by the end of 2020 and potentially more than 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021
                          https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...government-600

Comment

If this comes through, I think the smart move might be for the Biden admin to be very vocal in giving Trump a lot of credit for this? Get his base more likely to be on board with getting vaccinated?
                            Trump still has to cede the results of the election.

Bleepity bleepity bleep bleep bleep.
                            “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post
                              Trump still has to cede the results of the election.

Bleepity bleepity bleep bleep bleep.
                              Trump's sheep didn't want the vaccine when Trump was talking about it - I don't think Biden is going to be able to convince them. Hopefully, they are convinced by the further spread of the virus and local, non-political healthcare workers and doctors.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
                                I have a friend who works for them. He is very confident
                                I'm assuming they've determined it's safe, too?
                                "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Working...
                                X