Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid-19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

    ...and then when the Omega variant comes in 6 months, let's stop the spread and institute more lockdowns. Ultimately folks are going to have to determine an acceptable level of death as they do the common flu. This isn't going away. There is no eradication possible.
    Yes, ultimately society as a whole will have to determine that - but as a public health policy, not an individual choice.
    Russian warship, go **** yourself

    Comment


      Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

      Smallpox is 1 of 2 diseases (rinderpest) recorded in human history that have ever been eradicated. That's not happening here.
      Too many chuds. 😞

      Comment


        Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

        ...and then when the Omega variant comes in 6 months, let's stop the spread and institute more lockdowns. Ultimately folks are going to have to determine an acceptable level of death as they do the common flu. This isn't going away. There is no eradication possible.
        Large scale lockdowns are no longer politically or economically viable. The only way that happens again is if "Omega" eludes the vaccine and has a death rate equal to or greater than Ebola.
        Stay "We" my friends

        Comment


          Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post

          Yes, ultimately society as a whole will have to determine that - but as a public health policy, not an individual choice.
          Ultimately society can't determine that if government is mandating masks/lockdowns.
          Calmer than you are

          7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

          Comment


            Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

            Ultimately society can't determine that if government is mandating masks/lockdowns.
            Or if government is forbidding more localized mandates.
            Russian warship, go **** yourself

            Comment


              I know hypocrisy doesn’t matter but remember one of the right’s complaints about health care costs was overweight people and smokers should pay more for insurance? They are awful quiet saying they same about the unvaccinated

              Comment


                She’s still alive, so the anti-vaxxers can go neener neener.:

                In a sign that the delta variant is affecting more children on a daily basis, an 11-month-old girl from the Houston area had to be airlifted to Temple because no pediatric hospitals in Houston would accept her as a transfer patient.

                "She needed to be intubated immediately because she was having seizures," said Patricia Darnauer, the administrator for LBJ Hospital. "We looked at all five major pediatric hospital groups and none [had beds] available."

                -ABC13, Houston

                Comment


                  Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
                  She’s still alive, so the anti-vaxxers can go neener neener.:

                  In a sign that the delta variant is affecting more children on a daily basis, an 11-month-old girl from the Houston area had to be airlifted to Temple because no pediatric hospitals in Houston would accept her as a transfer patient.

                  "She needed to be intubated immediately because she was having seizures," said Patricia Darnauer, the administrator for LBJ Hospital. "We looked at all five major pediatric hospital groups and none [had beds] available."

                  -ABC13, Houston
                  It's just one kid. Need to decide how many can die.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                    Why do you need the government to be involved? Can't you provide necessities for more people without a bureaucrat taking his slice of the pie?
                    I didn’t want to.let this go and have you think I didn’t have a good answer. I’m fact, I have so many good answers I’m not sure how to organize them, or cover the main points adequately.
                    ,
                    First and maybe most important: These necessities, like public health, should be a matter of public policy, not of individual choice.

                    Second: More specifically, they should be a matter of Federal poilicy. State-level government, of which you are a huge fan, has been doing a horrific job in just the areas they’re supposed to be handling. The laws coming out of Red states these days are not designed to make voting more available, or more user-friendly. Education is supposed to be carried out at the local level, but is struggling under state-level mandates dictating which ideas and facts are required and which are forbidden. One may not teach them as debatable, or even as wrong. In these issues and many more - roads, broadband, healthcare, and so on - there need to be standards set at the federal level, a floor. States can’t be trusted to provide for the poor.

                    Third: Let's say that we agree in principle that the policies should be developed through individual donation. There will be very little coordination between the various groups, each of which will be competing to gain a place of prominence, probably through advertising and name recognition rather than effectiveness. But why would you - who almost always see the worst in people as sociopolitical animals suddenly put your faith in the idea that individual people will do diligent research, compare and contrast specific goals, look for problematic aspects, see how their financial structure work, how a charity relates to the community or the nation as a whole, and so on. And that for one charity. There are dozens of issues where only the federal government is is a position to make sense out of it

                    Fourth, government is likely to be more effective and even more efficient than any collection of individual gifts. I give money to charity, scattered around various organizations, but not all that much of it goes directly to filling those needs for Americans. The government would have data to show which problems are worst in which areas, and how to direct programs more effectively. They’d also have the kind of economy of scale that individual charities can’t match.

                    Finally: I figure you’re likely to respond to this with statements about how the government sucks at everything, and how all these programs would work out disastrously. You’re entitled to your opinion, and we’d have to wait and see. The thing is, though, that the system you seem to suggest - providing for people in need through private and corporate charity - is mostly what we have in place right now, and it doesn’t work. Give me a government bureaucrat every day and twice on Sundays.
                    Last edited by JL25and3; 08-09-21, 12:01 PM.
                    Russian warship, go **** yourself

                    Comment


                      Bub eye Dick Farrell

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
                        She’s still alive, so the anti-vaxxers can go neener neener.:

                        In a sign that the delta variant is affecting more children on a daily basis, an 11-month-old girl from the Houston area had to be airlifted to Temple because no pediatric hospitals in Houston would accept her as a transfer patient.

                        "She needed to be intubated immediately because she was having seizures," said Patricia Darnauer, the administrator for LBJ Hospital. "We looked at all five major pediatric hospital groups and none [had beds] available."

                        -ABC13, Houston
                        My friend's son has a school friend who is 14 and in PICU with a massive blood clot in her leg due to Covid-19. She obviously is old enough to be vaccinated, but her parents are garbage so she isn't. She had to be transferred from one PICU to a larger one because the first had never seen a clot so massive in a child. They didn't know what to do.

                        And she was at her high school unmasked. Her mom made a post about her condition but mentioned nothing about covid. Because of course not.

                        My kids can't yet be vaccinated, and our trash governor (screw everyone who voted for that POS) won't allow mask mandates. I am terrified.
                        "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Texsahara View Post

                          It's just one kid. Need to decide how many can die.
                          No worries, we do that with guns all of the time! We're good at it. Much prolife. MURICA!
                          "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post

                            Finally: I figure you’re likely to respond to this with statements about how the government sucks at everything, and how these programs would work out disastrously. You’re entitled to your opinion, and we’d have to wait and see. The thing is, though, that the system you seem to suggest - providing for people in need through private and corporate charity - is mostly what we have in place right now, and it doesn’t work. Give me a government bureaucrat every day and twice on Sundays.
                            I've always thought that while the government might be slow and inefficient at times, at the very least they are generally actually trying and to accomplish the goal without an ulterior motive. The same can't be said for private entities.
                            -Kevin

                            "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


                            "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

                            RIP, Pete.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Soriambi View Post

                              I've always thought that while the government might be slow and inefficient at times, at the very least they are generally actually trying and to accomplish the goal without an ulterior motive. The same can't be said for private entities.
                              Yeah there is sometimes corruption and grift with government programs too, but it’s not like there isnt fraud and grift in the private sector too.

                              but at least government generally has the goal of what is best for society (even if what is best is often up for debate) private companies always have what’s best for them and their bottom line at the forefront of all their decisions.
                              Baseball is life;
                              the rest is just details.

                              Comment


                                This belongs on the OpEd section of newspapers for the foreseeable future.

                                E8R5FudVkAAEE6i?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg
                                “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X