X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post

I'm not going to stop them
    Nope. Nor I.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...orkers/621193/

When a health-care system crumbles, this is what it looks like. Much of what’s wrong happens invisibly. At first, there’s just a lot of waiting. Emergency rooms get so full that “you’ll wait hours and hours, and you may not be able to get surgery when you need it,” Megan Ranney, an emergency physician in Rhode Island, told me. When patients are seen, they might not get the tests they need, because technicians or necessary chemicals are in short supply. Then delay becomes absence. The little acts of compassion that make hospital stays tolerable disappear. Next go the acts of necessity that make stays survivable. Nurses might be so swamped that they can’t check whether a patient has their pain medications or if a ventilator is working correctly. People who would’ve been fine will get sicker. Eventually, people who would have lived will die. This is not conjecture; it is happening now, across the United States. “It’s not a dramatic Armageddon; it happens inch by inch,” Anand Swaminathan, an emergency physician in New Jersey, told me.
      Depressing but worth reading

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
        That's a great picker-upper. Thanks, T. 😂
        "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post

If you don’t listen to your doctor when he or she says get vaccinated then don’t go to him or her for treatment. Also if you need a colonoscopy, go to your plumber.
          I didn't listen to my doctor when he said I didn't need a HIDA scan, but I still went and got one and still saw a surgeon for the cholecystectomy when my gall bladder was about to rupture. I get the sentiment, but this is over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
            https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/...077373448?s=21

anti vaccine leader states drinking urine is the best way to treat covid
            Anti vaccine leader? Who are his followers? This is some psycho who started an antivaxx website and clearly is antivaxx but you, John Cooper and the Daily Beast are all being disingenuous - the latter two intentionally so. This guy's "vaccine police" twitter handlle has 77 people following it.

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
              Anti vaccine leader? Who are his followers? This is some psycho who started an antivaxx website and clearly is antivaxx but you, John Cooper and the Daily Beast are all being disingenuous - the latter two intentionally so. This guy's "vaccine police" twitter handlle has 77 people following it.
              I had never heard of him but I've since read that he has a large following on telegram which seems to be the current maga platform of choice. It's also the preferred platform for the proud boys I believe. 🤷
              Last edited by Texsahara; 01-11-22, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Jon Cooper was one of many discussing it. So much so that “urine” was trending on Twitter yesterday

Comment

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-v...fight-covid-19

more on the urine drinking

Comment

I had never heard of him but I've since read that he has a large following on telegram which seems to be the current maga platform of choice. It's also the preferred platform for the proud boys I believe. 🤷
                    I don't have that app so I can't verify, but found this:

On Saturday, Key posted a video urging people to drink their urine to counteract the vaccine on his Telegram channel, where he has 24,000 subscribers. The comments were first reported by the Daily Beast.
                    That would be higher than I would have guessed, but in today's social media world it's a nit and probably half of those are troll accounts. This dude has a track record of doing/saying stupid stuff almost certainly to attract a niche following of whackos.

I get and support this being a good "haha" moment (I got a kick out of the #urineidiot hashtag I stumbled across looking for this guy), but this guy isn't a "leader" of anything and the media calling him that clearly creates a misperception (obviously) that the 37% of American adults who aren't fully vaccinated have failed to do so because they're running around listening to urine baristas.

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
                      I don't have that app so I can't verify, but found this:

That would be higher than I would have guessed, but in today's social media world it's a nit and probably half of those are troll accounts. This dude has a track record of doing/saying stupid stuff almost certainly to attract a niche following of whackos.

I get and support this being a good "haha" moment (I got a kick out of the #urineidiot hashtag I stumbled across looking for this guy), but this guy isn't a "leader" of anything and the media calling him that clearly creates a misperception (obviously) that the 37% of American adults who aren't fully vaccinated have failed to do so because they're running around listening to urine baristas.
                      I mostly agree but you don't have to be an official follower to read a post. Twitter is a great example. You can read tons of retweets from people you don't follow and take what you want from it. So for every troll account, how many readers are there? But I don't think most people are going to drink their urine anyway even if they are a follower simply because it's gross.

Comment

To add I do not follow Jon Cooper. Someone I do follow simply re-tweeted it. I agree with Tex that I don’t see this as a large group doing but it obviously is. Do a search of covid and urine and you will see a list of articles

Comment

PSA from Dallas Morning News

Longtime Arlington Republican activist Kelly Canon, a grassroots organizer and vocal critic of vaccine requirements, died Monday of complications from COVID-19.

Comment

Thinking a little more about urine guy and his influence. Yes, in the scope of social media, 24,000 followers is a blip but is it really? Let's say half are trolls and half of that are casual followers. That leaves 6000. At the height of Jim Jones's cult leadership, he had 3000 followers and "just" 900 died with him. Those were big numbers and they still are. Granted being persuaded to drink urine is not the same as mass suicide but I think 6000 people being convinced to endanger their health by drinking their own piss is a pretty big deal and does make him a leader. Handwaving that away is a mistake. How many more like him are out there leading their own group of crazies? Everything doesn't have to be on a mass scale to matter.

Comment

Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
                              PSA from Dallas Morning News

She screwed around and found out, sadly.

Comment

Thinking a little more about urine guy and his influence. Yes, in the scope of social media, 24,000 followers is a blip but is it really? Let's say half are trolls and half of that are casual followers. That leaves 6000. At the height of Jim Jones's cult leadership, he had 3000 followers and "just" 900 died with him. Those were big numbers and they still are. Granted being persuaded to drink urine is not the same as mass suicide but I think 6000 people being convinced to endanger their health by drinking their own piss is a pretty big deal and does make him a leader. Handwaving that away is a mistake. How many more like him are out there leading their own group of crazies? Everything doesn't have to be on a mass scale to matter.
                                To me if it was a group of 10 it would still be sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X