Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

Originally posted by ojo View Post
    Dr. Michael Lin, PhD-MD from Stanford drops some really strong information about what to do to mitigate this situation.
    Interesting. One thing I noticed that I hadn't seen mentioned before is that Windex kills the virus. It doesn't specifically say Windex Disinfectant cleaner. When people see Windex without a qualifier they think the standard blue solution that comes to mind. Windex doesn't make any claims that it's standard offering has disinfectant properties, and separately they do sell a yellow Windex Disinfectant spray. So either Dr. Lin is on to something that the product manufacturer isn't, or that a lazy and potentially dangerous omission.

That said, there are lots of disinfectant products that people may be more likely to find in stock than Lysol sprays/wipes but aren't looking for them. Windex Disinfectant being one of them (for non-porous surfaces).

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
      Interesting. One thing I noticed that I hadn't seen mentioned before is that Windex kills the virus. It doesn't specifically say Windex Disinfectant cleaner. When people see Windex without a qualifier they think the standard blue solution that comes to mind. Windex doesn't make any claims that it's standard offering has disinfectant properties, and separately they do sell a yellow Windex Disinfectant spray. So either Dr. Lin is on to something that the product manufacturer isn't, or that a lazy and potentially dangerous omission.

That said, there are lots of disinfectant products that people may be more likely to find in stock than Lysol sprays/wipes but aren't looking for them. Windex Disinfectant being one of them (for non-porous surfaces).

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
        An increasing number of places have closed down bars and restaurants. But many of those restaurants have instituted curbside pick-up. I can't stress enough how important it is to support them. McDonald's will survive all this. KFC will do just fine. But that quaint little Mom-and-Pop restaurant will not. It might not be the kind of place you think of for food 'to go.' But if they're doing it, please support them. Many small restaurants will not survive a month with no receipts. And, many of these places consider their staff to be family, and they'd like nothing better than to continue making payroll.

Skip the place with the well-known logo and drive through window. Pick up some food at the place you'd normally consider to be a sit-down restaurant.

And be extra generous with the tip!
        My wife purchased some gift certificates from a couple of our favorite New Haven places on her way home last night.
        You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post
          I can say my two Northeastern Liberal transplanted-to-Florida back in 1985 parents need to be constantly reminded the seriousness of this outbreak. They’re 79 and 80, respectively and are as active as anyone their age not on a Wheaties Box.

“Dad, the gym at the country club is not the safest place to be right now.”

“Yeah, but there are hand sanitization things all over the place.”

“That doesn’t say much for the machines you’re sharing.”

Or

“Mom, if we must go out to dinner, then it makes more sense to get a table on the patio than to get seated inside.”

“But it’s cold out.”

“It’s 75 degrees. Wear a sweater, and take it off once you realize you are too warm.”

And...

“Mom, Dad, are you two actually golfing more than you used to?”
          So some things they're doing at the golf club I work for:

Clubhouse, locker room closed

Limit 1 per cart
          no bunker rakes
          no water coolers
          the cup is left high (an inch above the level of green) and it will be an automatic two putt. No one to touch flagstick or touch the cup.
          You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Trump is doing a lot better at the podium today. Too bad it took this long for him to talk straight.
            Let the kids play.

Comment

Originally posted by Bub View Post
              Trump is doing a lot better at the podium today. Too bad it took this long for him to talk straight.
              And then he'll blow it up by something he says later on twitter

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
                So some things they're doing at the golf club I work for:

automatic two putt.
                That would almost certainly improve my game.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                - President Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Maynerd View Post
                  An increasing number of places have closed down bars and restaurants. But many of those restaurants have instituted curbside pick-up. I can't stress enough how important it is to support them. McDonald's will survive all this. KFC will do just fine. But that quaint little Mom-and-Pop restaurant will not. It might not be the kind of place you think of for food 'to go.' But if they're doing it, please support them. Many small restaurants will not survive a month with no receipts. And, many of these places consider their staff to be family, and they'd like nothing better than to continue making payroll.

Skip the place with the well-known logo and drive through window. Pick up some food at the place you'd normally consider to be a sit-down restaurant.

And be extra generous with the tip!
                  One of our favorite New Haven eateries (Claire's Corner Copia) has decided to shut down during all of this. You have to wonder (and hope) if they'll re-open.

Comment

And then he'll blow it up by something he says later on twitter
                    :lol: The dude has no discipline which is just another reason among many why he's not fit to be POTUS.
                    NYYFANS: See you on the other side!

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
                      That's exactly what came to mind. :lol:

Comment

I want to cry.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...g-months-years

Scientists warn we may need to live with social distancing for a year or more
                        Researchers say we face a horrible choice: practice social distancing for months or a year, or let hundreds of thousands die.
                        How long, then, until we’re no longer behind and are winning the fight against the novel coronavirus? The hard truth is that it may keep infecting people and causing outbreaks until there’s a vaccine or treatment to stop it.

“I think this idea … that if you close schools and shut restaurants for a couple of weeks, you solve the problem and get back to normal life — that’s not what’s going to happen,” says Adam Kucharski, an epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and author of The Rules of Contagion, a book on how outbreaks spread. “The main message that isn’t getting across to a lot of people is just how long we might be in this for.”

s Kucharski, a top expert on this situation, sees it, “this virus is going to be circulating, potentially for a year or two, so we need to be thinking on those time scales. There are no good options here. Every scenario you can think of playing out has some really hefty downsides. ... At the moment, it seems the only way to sustainably reduce transmission are really severe unsustainable measures.”

In time, we may learn how to balance the need to “flatten the curve” with the need to live our lives and revive the economy. But for now, it appears we’re in for a long haul.

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
                          Are your aunt and uncle members of the foxnews fanbase? From what I've read republican seniors are much less likely to be taking this as seriously as their liberal counterparts but that may just be anecdotal.
                          My parents still held a big birthday party for my grandma for her 90th birthday on Saturday. I tried to convince them it was a bad idea. They're not exactly young themselves (71 and almost 69), and my grandma is obviously REALLY old. My mom just said, "Bill (her brother who lives in Denver) flew in just for this. We'll be careful." I'm reasonably certain they went to church on Sunday, too. Oh, and they haven't yet canceled their plans to visit my sister and her family in Vegas this weekend.

They don't listen to a damn thing.
                          "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

One of our favorite New Haven eateries (Claire's Corner Copia) has decided to shut down during all of this. You have to wonder (and hope) if they'll re-open.
                            And yet Louie's Lunch will survive somehow.
                            Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
                              And yet Louie's Lunch will survive somehow.
                              Not with my help. God that place...

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                                They don't listen to a damn thing.
                                I'm sure that, once upon a time, they said the same thing about you.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
                                - President Barack Obama

Comment

Working...
                                X