Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Covid-19

The only hospital in my community has an expanded capacity of 30 beds. That’s it, 30 beds... when they expand to reach a total of 30. And we’re at about 7,000 feet elevation, which makes breathing hard if you’re sick. The next hospital is at least an hour away. When it snows (Like it did all last week), we can get between 50,000-100,000 tourists in a weekend. If we get ANY kind of outbreak up here, it’s going to be bad, and there will be MANY people being helicoptered off the mountain. All short-term rentals have been banned for now, and all tourist attractions are closed, as well as restaurants. Yet still, every weekend, our hiking trails are filled with people who obviously don't live up here. We have 5 total cases up here right now, and a drive-thru testing station up here as I type this. I’m not sure our town would survive without tourists, but we're still begging them to stay home for now.

Comment

Originally posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
      If rich New Yorkers are willing to start paying NJ income taxes in exchange for safe haven, I'm all for it.
      The problem with this argument is that it's not only wrong, it's divisive. Speaking from my own experience, I pay property taxes to the town that I have the second home in. Those taxes pay for schools which my children won't attend; upkeep to the roads in the winter that I wouldn't use; and any number of services that the town offers that I won't be using. And... I don't even get to vote in the town elections, so I'm taxed, and have nothing to say about it.

Add to that, and I'm not sure how it is in other places, but I even get taxed for what I have in the house because I am not a full-time resident... so like furniture is taxed.

Comment

New NYC COVID cases barreling towards zero:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

Comment

Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
          New NYC COVID cases barreling towards zero:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page
          That's awesome!
          "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
            In shore towns, the police capacity is greatly reduced between Labor Day and Memorial Day, as they often rely on temporary staff in the summer. If the population unexpectedly swells in the winter or early spring they won't even be able to enforce whatever weak regulation they put in place.
            I get it. Beach towns (or in my case, mountain towns) are going to struggle with surges in temporary residents they are unprepared for. On the other hand, densely populated cities are struggling with surges in rapid transmission of a deadly virus they are unprepared for. If people - locals or temp residents - are putting others at risk, that's definitely a problem. As difficult as that is to contain, it is probably simpler than "how do I get from the 30th floor of my apartment without exposing myself to space that hundreds of other people have just occupied?" Can National Guard be called up to help? Can that temporary staff be called back for locals and/or out-of-towners? I'm sure it's not simple but it seems like the easier of the two problems to tackle.

If rich New Yorkers are willing to start paying NJ income taxes in exchange for safe haven, I'm all for it.
            The ones that own property are paying lots of taxes, even when not consuming local services. When working in NJ, they do pay NJ income taxes and sales taxes and so on. So all good then?

Comment

Originally posted by Texsahara View Post
              They may not think so but how many people that relocate from a hot spot are quarantining for 14 days? Not shelter in place, go to the grocery with a mask stuff but actual quarantine? Unless they have tested positive or are showing symptoms I bet that number is incredibly low. Yet they now believe that it may be the most contagious before symptoms develop. Anyone that has been in a hot spot needs to stay there or go into a full quarantine for two weeks. You know that's not what's happening. Or maybe you just have more faith in humanity than I do.
              I don't know. I only know that my cousins are absolutely quarantining for 14 days. They may be a special case because they have first hand tragic knowledge of the dangers. Do you know the percentage? Why do you bet that number is incredibly low? And how does that percentage compare to the percentage of locals that are making poor choices when it comes to mitigation?

Comment

Originally posted by Archer1979 View Post
                The problem with this argument is that it's not only wrong, it's divisive. Speaking from my own experience, I pay property taxes to the town that I have the second home in. Those taxes pay for schools which my children won't attend; upkeep to the roads in the winter that I wouldn't use; and any number of services that the town offers that I won't be using. And... I don't even get to vote in the town elections, so I'm taxed, and have nothing to say about it.
                Correct. I've spent enough time and done enough good deeds in the small town I intend to live in after retirement to be accepted as a near-local. But even in normal circumstances all I hear are complaints about "flat-landers" that bring traffic, take up space, yada yada. Putting up with those temporary visitors is responsible for like 90% of the local annual economic activity. The town would literally be dead without them. Yet, they are treated like the enemy behind their backs. I don't get it.

Add to that, and I'm not sure how it is in other places, but I even get taxed for what I have in the house because I am not a full-time resident... so like furniture is taxed.
                That's fascinating actually. I pay property tax and sales tax. My second home is in the same state so income tax is moot. So how does that work? You have to declare furniture? Do you depreciate it? I'm really curious how that is rationalized and enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by False1 View Post
                  That's fascinating actually. I pay property tax and sales tax. My second home is in the same state so income tax is moot. So how does that work? You have to declare furniture? Do you depreciate it? I'm really curious how that is rationalized and enforced.
                  We've had the house for six years now and have been taxed about $25 a year without any assessment. This year they sent us a self-declaration. I've yet to fill it out.

Comment

For some reason beyond my understanding my employer has decided not to pass along our share of the costs for healthcare during the month of April and May. I'll gladly take not having to pay my weekly healthcare contribution for two months but I'm not sure I understand why. I'm actually employed with an income.
                    You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
                      For some reason beyond my understanding my employer has decided not to pass along our share of the costs for healthcare during the month of April and May. I'll gladly take not having to pay my weekly healthcare contribution for two months but I'm not sure I understand why. I'm actually employed with an income.
                      Nothing that can't be resolved with a nasty letter

Comment

I like how since I’ve been potentially exposed my body has decided three hours of sleep is enough.
                        Originally posted by 4bronxbombers
                        Well....I am a total bacon whore...
                        :thatsodd: <--- The Ryan emoticon.

Comment

Comment

Stephen Moore says the COVID protesters are just like Rosa Parks. Because a bunch of heavily armed, privileged white men are just like an unarmed black woman with no privilege.

http://huffp.st/PZNLUN5

Let's also discuss for a moment what might have happened if all of the selfish, ignorant white men protesting with semi-automatic weapons were black.
                            "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

Comment

Originally posted by jlw1980 View Post
                              Stephen Miller says the COVID protesters are just like Rosa Parks. Because a bunch of heavily armed, privileged white men are just like an unarmed black woman with no privilege.

http://huffp.st/PZNLUN5

Let's also discuss for a moment what might have happened if all of the selfish, ignorant white men protesting with semi-automatic weapons were black.
                              Stephen Moore actually but certainly something that Miller would say as well.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
                                Stephen Moore actually but certainly something that Miller would say as well.
                                Oops, fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X