2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Thoughts:

Tanaka on a 1yr deal < $10M would be a pretty good gamble, IMO.

Short term deal, just costs money, kind of a known commodity- 150 IP and a 4.0 ERA is reasonably expected

Cole Severino Tanaka Taillon Montgomery is a nice rotation

Between German, Gil, Medina, Schmidt and Garcia - one or two could step up and slide in the rotation or provide depth.

I'd still give up a very strong package to get German Marquez.

Adopting the DH in the NL would suddenly make Sanchez, Voit, Andujar, and Frazier a bit more valuable.

Dealing Sanchez and/or Voit cuts down on the strikeouts

If Gallo could guarantee a .240 BA and 40 bombs, I can deal with the 200 Ks

"Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

Could LH hitter Rob Brantly split the catching duties with Higashioka in 2022?

Between the two, can they provide good defense behind the plate and hit about .230/.300 with 15 HRs, and does that satisfactorily replace Gary Sanchez? And does it add about $6M to the payroll budget? That could pretty much pay for signing Tanaka back.
      "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

Between the two, can they provide good defense behind the plate and hit about .230/.300 with 15 HRs, and does that satisfactorily replace Gary Sanchez? And does it add about $6M to the payroll budget? That could pretty much pay for signing Tanaka back.
        I don't want higgy. He is not good. Bring up Sands and hopefully sign Barnhart.
        [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
        [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
        [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
        [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
        [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Comment

Meh. One ace, three mid-to-backers and a guy who hasn't really pitched since Hurricane Florence and the Kavanaugh hearings.

He has hit at or above .240 once. Other than that one time (.253) he has never even come close to .240.
          I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Comment

Originally posted by JL25and3 View Post
            I want Correa, damn the cost. He just turned 27 and he’s really, really good. The Yankees need a shortstop - not just a guy yu play to the left of 2b - and with Urshela, Correa, and LeMahieu they’ve suddenly got killer defense. He fis this team perfectly.
            Urshela is at best average. He has good hands but no range.
            [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
            [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
            [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
            [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
            [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Comment

Would prefer a Tucker Barnhart type. At $7.5M (assuming Reds pick up option) he'll make less than Sanchez will in arb.

Brantly's a 32-year-old AAAA player and Higgy is strictly a BUC, so no to that.

I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Comment

Originally posted by ppa79 View Post

Fair enough. I’ll still take that defense in the middle. Urshela's lack of range is highlighted with Torres next to him.
                Russian warship, go **** yourself

Comment

Random Thoughts:

Tanaka on a 1yr deal < $10M would be a pretty good gamble, IMO.

Short term deal, just costs money, kind of a known commodity- 150 IP and a 4.0 ERA is reasonably expected

Between German, Gil, Medina, Schmidt and Garcia - one or two could step up and slide in the rotation or provide depth.

I'd still give up a very strong package to get German Marquez.

Adopting the DH in the NL would suddenly make Sanchez, Voit, Andujar, and Frazier a bit more valuable.

Dealing Sanchez and/or Voit cuts down on the strikeouts

I'd be ok with a Tanaka reunion, but not sure its the best use of 10M or whatever he gets. Think the team needs to look at solidifying the #2 spot in the rotation before spending on innings eating #4 type which they have quite a few of. I guess its good fit because other than Cole and Monty its hard to know where you're going to get innings from this rotation. Sevy surely will be limited if he stays healthy. Taillon hopefully less so. I think they should go after Eduardo Rodriguez in FA, he'll be more expensive but he's a guy that's a solid 2/3 type that you can rely on for innings.

I think I also look to dangle Monty and German as chips in trades to upgrade the rotation. Monty is great pitcher with great offspeed stuff and 5 pitches, but all 3 of his fastballs are not very good. I think he can continue to be good mid rotation option leading with his offspeed stuff, but I wouldn't be opposed to selling high on him right now in a deal for a better pitcher like a Luis Castillo or as you mentioned German Marquez. German is similar to Monty in that he's got a great offspeed stuff, but even more so than Monty his fastball is a total meatball. Unless Blake thinks they can change that pitch for something more effective and make him less homer prone, I'd be inclined to deal him for someone like Sean Manea. I think Oakland would be intrigued by something like that given German's cost control and getting him into a pitcher friendly ballpark. Would have to combine Monty and German with prospects in both of these deals, but I think these are realistic options especially if the Yankees don't want to spend on a guy like Rodriguez or ideally Scherzer in FA.

I feel strongly that if they fix the offense but don't upgrade the pitching the team will flounder once again in the postseason. Looking at the Braves too there's an argument to be made to go defense and pitching this offseason and stack the team with good depth bats that have upside on offense.

Comment

If Tanaka at 1 yr is an option, I’d be more interested in what the A’s want for Manaea. He’s a year out from FA and they are almost certainly wanting to move him.

Comment

Originally posted by HelloNewman View Post
                      Would prefer a Tucker Barnhart type. At $7.5M (assuming Reds pick up option) he'll make less than Sanchez will in arb.

Brantly's a 32-year-old AAAA player and Higgy is strictly a BUC, so no to that.
                      Yea, I like Barnhardt too. I'd go after Mitch Garver first in a trade though who is both a good framer and has top level offensive ability for the position.

If we got Barnhardt, I might try to see if I could trade Higgy and sign Manny Pina to platoon with Barhardt. Pina is an elite defender and mashes lefties, so he'd be ideally suited to work in tandem with Barhardt. He's essentially an older better version of Higashioka. If the Yankees can't land a decent starter like Garver or Barhardt and need to save $ at catcher I wouldn't be totally opposed to rolling with Pina and Higgy. Pina offensively is similar to Sanchez/Higgy in that his only offensive value is in HRs/Slugging, but he strikes out a lot less than both of them. He'll probably cost half what Sanchez makes in arb and he's a better player as he's a top tier defender. I think he's the best pure FA in a very weak class. I'd 100% non-tender Sanchez unless someone wants to trade for him before the tender deadline.

I think this would be my primary targets at C in order:
                      1. Mitch Garver
                      2. Tucker Barhardt
                      3. Jacob Stallings
                      4. Manny Pina

Could maybe kick the tires on guys like Wilson Contreras or Austin Nola or even ideally Omar Narvaez, but not sure if they'll be available and for how much and I think a guy like Wilson Contreras while a better player is too Sanchez esque for my liking. I think all the guys above could be available for a pretty reasonable price and all of them are excellent defenders. Garver would cost the most, but might be a relative low time to buy on him and the Twins have a younger option that it probably makes sense to prioritize. I think they'd be willing to trade him for some pitching prospects which the Yankees have and need to stop hugging until they burst.

Comment

Originally posted by ppa79 View Post

I like Urshela as a super sub next year. 3B, SS, LF. Yes, his range is limited, but he's sort of like a Jeter over there in that he almost always makes the routine plays. He's also a contact oriented bat that you trust up there in most situations. If he starts the year as the "10th man" that ends up essentially being a regular because of injuries I think we'll be well positioned.

Comment

Originally posted by primetime714 View Post

Yea, I like Barnhardt too. I'd go after Mitch Garver first in a trade though who is both a good framer and has top level offensive ability for the position.

If we got Barnhardt, I might try to see if I could trade Higgy and sign Manny Pina to platoon with Barhardt. Pina is an elite defender and mashes lefties, so he'd be ideally suited to work in tandem with Barhardt. He's essentially an older better version of Higashioka. If the Yankees can't land a decent starter like Garver or Barhardt and need to save $ at catcher I wouldn't be totally opposed to rolling with Pina and Higgy. Pina offensively is similar to Sanchez/Higgy in that his only offensive value is in HRs/Slugging, but he strikes out a lot less than both of them. He'll probably cost half what Sanchez makes in arb and he's a better player as he's a top tier defender. I think he's the best pure FA in a very weak class. I'd 100% non-tender Sanchez unless someone wants to trade for him before the tender deadline.

I think this would be my primary targets at C in order:
                          1. Mitch Garver
                          2. Tucker Barhardt
                          3. Jacob Stallings
                          4. Manny Pina

Could maybe kick the tires on guys like Wilson Contreras or Austin Nola or even ideally Omar Narvaez, but not sure if they'll be available and for how much and I think a guy like Wilson Contreras while a better player is too Sanchez esque for my liking. I think all the guys above could be available for a pretty reasonable price and all of them are excellent defenders. Garver would cost the most, but might be a relative low time to buy on him and the Twins have a younger option that it probably makes sense to prioritize. I think they'd be willing to trade him for some pitching prospects which the Yankees have and need to stop hugging until they burst.
                          Just read Barnhart is thinking he might be traded. Longest tenured Red after Votto. They need bullpen and OF help.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post

And I'll also add this WHOLE thing is on Manfred. You don't start enforcing a rule that has never been enforced midseason. Not allowing pitchers to train without it AND not offering any legal alternative.

If you want to make drastic changes to the ways guys pitch, do it at an appropriate time. The offseason.
                            Originally posted by False1 View Post
                            Word. That's my absolute POV as well. He owns it on two fronts. Ignoring the issue completely is the equivalent of tacit approval. Then, to try to make up for the stupid overcorrection deadening the balls had on offense, in mid-season you crack down on this?

Manfred is a joke.
                            Agreed. MLB needs to find a Comish with the backbone of old Landis (suitably updated) and the moxie of Pete Rozelle. Left to his own devices, Manfred will eventually make the game look silly. As for “tacit approval”: that’s a failing that precedes him as well, i.e., with regard to the use of steroids, back when HR totals skyrocketed and some guys began hitting preposterous numbers of them.

Comment

Luis Torrens reunion...Yanks and Mariners have made quite a few trades

Comment

Off the trade topic again for a moment. Not much news about baseball over here, of course, but what’s the likelihood of the universal DH next year? Notwithstanding all the “tactics” and “tradition” stuff, it must be a huge advantage to the NL teams in the WS when they play at their home park against AL teams that aren’t used to having to bat the pitcher in the lineup. Do you think the NL will be prepared to give up that advantage?

By the way … Go the Braves for today.

Comment

Working...
                                X