2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ace View Post

Its used as cover for poor performance and spread to the fanbase by people like Michael Kay, Klapish, and others.
    And Cashman is not the only baseball exec who has called it a crapshoot.
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

Comment

The Yankees seem to do well after the recent Braves World Series Championships. All we need to do is quickly get a competent GM really really quickly to continue along this vein.
      Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vanderlay View Post

There are no guarantees with a ten team playoff system but there are things that can be done to increase your odds. For starters start winning some division titles.
        This a million times over...

I think anyone who knows a modicum of baseball would admit that there is luck involved, and the shorter the series the more that can play in. No one is arguing that point.
        But it is not pure unadulterated luck, you can improve your odds with proper roster construction..

First a better team wins the division, and then you take away the single one and done wild card game. That can be done by being better in the long haul regular season where luck plays a far smaller factor. A wild card single game is a lot of luck, avoiding it by being the best team over the first 162 games is not.. And there are things we can do to make that happen...

Big time SS (Seager, Correa, one of the others) , improve 1B (Freeman but that's a pipe dream, but Rizzo is not) and a new catcher. Those three things alone make us light years better. This team was constructed awfully and won 92 games, so we are not the Orioles or Tigers, this team does not need a full tear down and rebuild. And the beauty of the three improvements is that almost all of it is just money, no talent to surrender.

Maybe pick up a couple high octane bullpen arms as well.

With a healthy Judge and Stanton, Gleyber back to 2B, and DJL having his injury repaired, and making these other moves, I might even go as far to label us the favorites in the ALE next year.

We are really not that far away if Hal realizes that all he has to do is make 950 million dollars in profit next year instead of 1 Billion (I exaggerate for dramatic effect but the point remains)..
        I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Comment

The “crapshoot” narrative is just an excuse for poor performance. The Braves won their Division and their GM killed it at the deadline, thereby significantly increasing their chances. If Cashman does a better job and the Yankees get back to winning Divisions you will
          see more WS in the Bronx.
          Yes, Braves killed it at the deadline. They picked up Soler and his 76 OPS+, Duvall and his 100 OPS+, Rosario and his 86 OPS+ and Perderson and his 91 OPS+ and they won a title with them despite missing two important offensive weapons... Acuna and Ozuna.

Comment

Originally posted by Benefactor View Post

Yes, Braves killed it at the deadline. They picked up Soler and his 76 OPS+, Duvall and his 100 OPS+, Rosario and his 86 OPS+ and Perderson and his 91 OPS+ and they won a title with them despite missing two important offensive weapons... Acuna and Ozuna.
            So when Cashmsn acquires an underperforming player off the scrap heat (Urshela, Voit) and they do well he’s genius. But when other GMs do it they get no credit?

Comment

Originally posted by kan_t View Post
              Last 10 years WS match up

Braves (Division winner) vs Astros (Division winner)
              Dodgers (Division winner) vs Rays (Division winner)
              Nationals (Wild card) vs Astros (Division winner)
              Red Sox (Division winner) vs Dodgers (Division winner)
              Astros (Division winner) vs Dodgers (Division winner)
              Cubs (Division winner) vs Indians (Division winner)
              Royals (Division winner) vs Mets (Division winner)
              Giants (Wild card) vs Royals (Wild card)
              Red Sox (Division winner) vs Cards (Division winner)
              Giants (Division winner) vs Tigers (Division winner)

Only 3 out of 20 WS teams are wild card teams.
              Whid did you stop at 10 years? 13 WC teams have made it two the WS and seven of them won it all since 1995. The Braves weren't a WC team but they would have missed the playoffs playing in any other division in baseball. The Braves were given just a 9% chance to win the WS by the so-called experts.

Comment

So when Cashmsn acquires an underperforming player off the scrap heat (Urshela, Voit) and they do well he’s genius. But when other GMs do it they get no credit?
                What did the Yankees win with Urshela and Voit? Urshela is a below average 3rd baseman with a decent glove and Voit is an often iinjured 1st baseman who is the worst defensive 1st baseman in the majors.. Cashman gets no kicks from me. And I don't think Voit was underperforming when Cashman traded for him.

But my point being how the Braves crapshooted their way to a WS title with guys who were all underperforming. Braves GM gets all the credit in the world but let's not act like this result was expected.

Comment

I dont think necessarily the best team wins the WS..It's the team that gets hot at the right time and the Braves got hot.

Congrats to the Braves for beating the Astros...Happy for Freeman getting a ring!

Comment

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2021/11/m...-rankings.html

Baseball America reports that Dominguez’s body has “changed” since he signed with the Yankees, becoming a much more “stockier” player. It adds that his running speed has already dipped from outstanding to “closer to average” and that his arm strength has also “backed up.” The publication also cites concerns that Dominguez might have to move from center field to a corner outfield position as he continues to mature.

“There’s quite a bit of polish still to apply, but Dominguez still could reach a ceiling of MLB regular,” Baseball America reported.

Comment

Originally posted by yank4life2005 View Post

baseball america reports that dominguez’s body has “changed” since he signed with the yankees, becoming a much more “stockier” player. It adds that his running speed has already dipped from outstanding to “closer to average” and that his arm strength has also “backed up.” the publication also cites concerns that dominguez might have to move from center field to a corner outfield position as he continues to mature.

“there’s quite a bit of polish still to apply, but dominguez still could reach a ceiling of mlb regular,” baseball america reported.
                      L O L

So Jasson Dominguez went from generational prospect to perhaps he could still become a MLB regular within the span of one year.

That’s…oh man. L O L.
                      “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

What did the Yankees win with Urshela and Voit? Urshela is a below average 3rd baseman with a decent glove and Voit is an often iinjured 1st baseman who is the worst defensive 1st baseman in the majors.. Cashman gets no kicks from me. And I don't think Voit was underperforming when Cashman traded for him.

But my point being how the Braves crapshooted their way to a WS title with guys who were all underperforming. Braves GM gets all the credit in the world but let's not act like this result was expected.
                        Who said it was expected?

my point is by winning their division and making some shrewd moves at the deadline they increased their odds. Contrast that to the Yankees who don’t win division titles and have an underperforming GM.

I do congratulate Cashman on one thing, I can tell by some of the posts here and calls on talk radio he has been successful in getting a portion of the fan base and media to embrace the crapshoot narrative which takes the spotlight off his poor performance.

Comment

Whid did you stop at 10 years? 13 WC teams have made it two the WS and seven of them won it all since 1995. The Braves weren't a WC team but they would have missed the playoffs playing in any other division in baseball. The Braves were given just a 9% chance to win the WS by the so-called experts.
                          Because 2012 was the year when second wild card was introduced.

It doesn't matter if the Braves were not good. They won the division and their chance would be significantly better than wild card team. So if Hal and Cashman want to sell you how playoff is a crapshoot, they better build the Yankees into a division winner first.

Comment

Originally posted by yank4life2005 View Post

Baseball America reports that Dominguez’s body has “changed” since he signed with the Yankees, becoming a much more “stockier” player. It adds that his running speed has already dipped from outstanding to “closer to average” and that his arm strength has also “backed up.” The publication also cites concerns that Dominguez might have to move from center field to a corner outfield position as he continues to mature.

“There’s quite a bit of polish still to apply, but Dominguez still could reach a ceiling of MLB regular,” Baseball America reported.
                            They signed him at age 16. It happens.

Comment

Going to be interesting to see just what transactions get done at all with the new CBA in limbo.
                              More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

Comment

Originally posted by Portbb View Post

In the last 25 years only teams with worse records winning the WS were 83 win 2006 Cardinals and 87 win 2000 Yankees.
                                The Braves won because their GM made great trades at the deadline. They were not really an 88 win team. How does their post AS break winning percentage stack up against the other teams?

Comment

Working...
                                X