2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full excerpt off HelloNewman's post:

“Cashman is horrible,’’ one top talent evaluator who knows the Yankees inside and out, told BallNine. “What he has done to that organization. He’s ruined their minor league system and this is not just me saying this. Others who have seen the Yankees believe that.

“The Yankees have a lot of compliant people on staff who buy into all that analytical bu11sh!t and none of them are teaching,’’ the evaluator added. “They better bring in some baseball guys that are hungry and like to teach. The big leagues is a Master’s Degree program that needs teaching still, because they get to the big leagues and none of them know how to play anymore because they all get there too soon.’’
    https://ballnine.com/2021/10/06/top-down-failure/
    Brutal indictment there.

As someone once told me about running a business: Ranchers don't pet their cows. A very Texas way of saying don't become too close to your employees to be able to fire them.
    Q: Who’s the guy on your roster that would have been overlooked if not for analytics? Cashman: Ronald Torreyes. He’s an analytical darling.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogwood View Post
      Forgive me - made this comment on the wrong thread. Reposting here.

"Some folks/fans up in arms about Cashman and Boone after Yankees lost. Cashman isn’t going anywhere; beyond BC having a year to go, they make the playoffs almost annually and he has 4 rings as GM. As for Boone, he has .601 win percentage and is beloved by Cashman and the players."

Cashman is a microcosm of the team. He occasionally hits one out of the park (DJ) and the rest of the time he strikes out looking (Gallo merely the latest).

I'm no shrink, but from a fan's distance he seems constitutionally incapable of admitting a mistake. He plays pranks on his underlings, which I believe is one definition of workplace bullying. He is an insecure posturing jerk and the team is doomed to tread water with him at the helm. Hey, maybe I am a shrink.
      To be clear, the bolded is a John Heyman tweet. Cashman has a army of sycophants in the media. I hope someone does a deep dive into the methods Cashman used to create this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePinStripes View Post

It's baffling the results aren't enough. 2 decades of top 3 payroll (and probably the most spent overall). 1 WS appearance.
        I mentioned this in another thread but Steve Phillips had the audacity to call Yankee fans "arrogant" for expecting more than this (1 WS appearance) during his Sirius/XM radio show on Wednesday morning when a caller simply asked whether Cashman should be on the hot seat. The crux of his argument is that unless the next GM can win the same number of World Series and make the playoffs as often as the Yankees have under Cashman, then it doesn't make sense to fire him. By this logic the Red Sox should not have fired Dombrowski.
        David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by HelloNewman View Post

And if you choose to count the 2009 team on GMSIII's ledger rather than Hal's (I don't, but just saying), the pennants won tally is:

CBS 1
          Hal 0
          To be fair I would not give CBS credit for 1964. Of course I really don't give Hal credit for 09 either.

Comment

Oh for eff sakes where to start with Heyman.

First of all, Cashman has three of Gene Michael’s rings.

Putting that aside, all I need to know is this. Cashman’s stated goal EVERY year is to win the World Series. He has failed to do so for over a decade. He and he alone has been in charge. So who is to blame?

Heyman and the rest routinely proving that they are too close to see what everyone can see from a mile away.

Accountability?

When the heck did Brian Cashman become the greatest GM to ever grace baseball. He is so scary good that he can’t face accountability? What a joke some of these people in the sports media are.
            Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps!?!?

Comment

• NelsonMuntz
              NelsonMuntz commented
              Editing a comment
              [standing ovation.gif]

Originally posted by X marked View Post
            Kay is now diffusing responsibility saying that he doesn't know who to blame... and that firing Cashman would be a dangerous proposition because the Mets would instantly gobble him up
            They fire Cashman and every member of this forum would send Cohen Cashman's number, lol

Comment

Originally posted by ThePinStripes View Post

I expect Voit to be sold for pennies so Cashman can show him who is boss with a final sign of disrespect.
              I hope Voit cuts loose on Cashman afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by matt2351 View Post

I hope Voit cuts loose on Cashman afterward.
                And boy will that be great to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
                  Kernan just eviscerated this front office. A thing of beauty.

Spot on -

one pushback I'll give - The Yankees minor league system had over a .600 winning % this year with Somerset coming within a game of their championship and Scranton finishing the Triple A "playoffs" week on a 5 game win streak. Everyone knows about Volpe and Paraza but their #15 over prospect Oswaldo Cabrera won the NorthEast league MVP and in 8 games in Scranton at the end of the year had a 1.7 OPS.

So are they winning those games on pure talent, or is the coaching actually good in the minors but so atrocious in the majors that once they are here for 2 or 3 years they become completely broken (I.E Sanchez and Gleyber) - I'll go with the later.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasYank23 View Post

Spot on -

one pushback I'll give - The Yankees minor league system had over a .600 winning % this year with Somerset coming within a game of their championship and Scranton finishing the Triple A "playoffs" week on a 5 game win streak. Everyone knows about Volpe and Paraza but their #15 over prospect Oswaldo Cabrera won the NorthEast league MVP and in 8 games in Scranton at the end of the year had a 1.7 OPS.

So are they winning those games on pure talent, or is the coaching actually good in the minors but so atrocious in the majors that once they are here for 2 or 3 years they become completely broken (I.E Sanchez and Gleyber) - I'll go with the later.
                    That’s the best argument to throw at people who claim nothing is Boone’s fault because he doesn’t really make decisions of his own. Every player with the exception of Judge has gotten continually worse every year since Boone was hired.

Comment

Spot on -

I think you are correct. But something is going wrong with converting that talent to the major league level.
                      Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post

I believe Cashman was a 4 year starting 2Bman for Catholic University (Washington D.C.)
                        Didn't realize that. I wonder if he could play defense. He didn't play at a really good program, so I can only assume he underperformed.

Comment

Spot on -

Minor league winning percentage doesn't mean much. If you have a deep roster of guys that succeed at that level, but aren't valued by other orgs for trading purposes and/or don't ever succeed in the bigs, who cares?

Comment

Don't know anything about this guy in the video. Since Rizzo was/is trending on Twitter I am assuming this is where it came from. Apparently Cashman isn't wasn't high on Rizzo & was disappointed in him...

Some other nuggets. This one I hope is true. Cashman leaning toward Gardner not being back...

Cashman thinks Volpe will be a Jeter like star but not at SS. At either 2nd or 3rd base. Also thinks Voplpe will be a power hitter. The reason they don't see him as a SS if they think he will grow out of the position get to big.... They like Peraza at SS...

They also love Jasson Doninguez but say it will be 4 years because he's so raw...

This one I hate. Cashman & Fishman love Hicks he will definitly be back in CF...

No word on El Gary pro or con...

(edit) A couple others I just remembered. This one is hard to believe. It was Cashman who pushed wanted Stanton to play in the OF and wants him out ther. But he has or had two bad hamstrings and his knee is still bad from sliding into 3rd base. Stanton has learned to deal with & play with the bad knee..

Cashman doesn't like Voit. Hes the reason Voit was benched even when healthy....

In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...…

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
                              Kernan just eviscerated this front office. A thing of beauty.

" “Cashman is horrible,’’ one top talent evaluator who knows the Yankees inside and out, told BallNine. “What he has done to that organization. He’s ruined their minor league system and this is not just me saying this. Others who have seen the Yankees believe that." "

"The Yankees can’t manufacture runs in October the way Cashman has built this team. Yet, he never learns from his mistakes. The Yankees are caught in a loop of October failures and that has worn down the mindset of the fans, who are doom and gloom come this time of year, expecting yet another failure."

"These Yankees, under Cashman and Boone, have failed once again to make any October magic. Their system and style of play continues to be lapped by other teams.

The Yankees once owned October. Now they own only October excuses. Yankee fans are the ones sick to their stomachs."

The writer definitely goes too hard on the anti-analytics aspect. I've said it here, as have others, analytics aren't the problem. The Yankees' analytics and the way they employ analytics are the problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X