2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ymike673 View Post

So Cashman signs Ellsbury to a bad contract and then does the same thing with Hicks. So we all are to expect Cashman to change and suddenly become competent.
    No. I do feel Brian is stubborn and incompetent. I want Brian to be accountable for bad contracts and money allocation. I always liked Theo. He was fired because of the Crawford contract. Dave was fired because they went above the LT. Ellsbury was NEVER going to get a big contract. (Boston was never going to sign him.) Hicks had 1 good year with MIN and we sign him for 10 years. There are many. I worry Brian is like a loose canon to win next year (TB is going to be better) like the trades at the deadline to get the WC that will really screw us for the next 5 years with long expensive contracts and our farm system having sh*t outside of RHP. He can spend 500M and still fail.

I honestly hope BAL keeps Mullins because the fans deserve better. I think he is their best player and they have young players coming.

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post

I know given his age and health he's not as active in his ownership of the Orioles, but I can't see Peter Angelos, if he still has breath in his body, allowing a deal with the Yankees for one of their high profile players unless he's getting a king's ransom in return. And even then it's still iffy.
      From what I've heard, Angelos at this stage probably doesn't know he owns the Orioles.

It's really going to be up to his sons.

I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricStuff View Post
        I wonder if they'd be interested in Gleyber.
        1.132 OPS in 26 games at Camden. Might be just what he needs.

Comment

Oh hell, Kluber just signed with the Rays.

Comment

Originally posted by fredgmuggs View Post
            I don't know who is more Gardner obsessed - Cashman or some folks on this board?
            The difference is one set of folks in this equation are powerless observers venting their frustration and on the other side of the equation sits a person with almost unilateral say in the situation. Pretty asymmetrical, if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by philleotardo View Post

1.132 OPS in 26 games at Camden. Might be just what he needs.
              We don't put our players in the best position to succeed so it wouldn't surprise me if he bounced back. The move to SS was shortsighted and doomed to fail and it wrecked his confidence. All this so cheap Hal didn't have to pay a premium for a SS, instead we give a 32 year old middle infielder a six year deal and turned an ok 2b into a terrible SS. Cashman does a piss poor job of managing his immense budget... Hal needs to either push the payroll to $280-300m or hire a good GM.

Comment

One of My SWB group keeps telling us we are bringing back Tanaka....Seeing Kluber to the Rays makes me think he might be right? Thought for sure Blake would bring Kluber back..

Comment

Originally posted by ymike673 View Post

So Cashman signs Ellsbury to a bad contract and then does the same thing with Hicks. So we all are to expect Cashman to change and suddenly become competent.
                  ...and that's never gonna' happen as long as Hal owns this team.
                  "The Yankee is one who, if he once gets his teeth set on a thing, all creation can't make him let go." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Mixwell View Post

The Yankees aren't supposed to be comparable to any other franchise. That's the point.
                    And this is by their own design. They have communicated to their fanbase (and all potential new fans) that they are a unique entity in MLB. They have heavily marketed their 27 championships and made it core to their brand identity. They not only communicate their unique history to the public, but also how this unique history informs the way they operate. They continually repeat the old stanza about expecting championships every season. Hal (unconvincingly in my estimation) communicates these things whenever he is interviewed. When these things are repeatedly conveyed to fans and those in the process of becoming fans (mostly at a very young age) it then forms part of the basis of this relationship - it is de facto an agreement upon which said fandom is contingent. Again, this isn't about spoiled fans. This is about a sustained marketing and communications program undertaken by the organization itself over many decades.

When the organization then acts in ways seen as antithetical to these communications and agreements, fans become upset - they feel they are being betrayed. I want to reiterate that being a fan is a relationship. For some folks it is one of the most intense relationships of their lives. Relationships have to work in two directions or they cease to properly function. For me (and seemingly for many other fans) the team is operating in ways that violate one of the tacit agreements upon which our fandom was forged and it is distressing.

Comment

Great post, Matt 2351!

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricStuff View Post

I'm not going to blame a player for continued front office and ownership mismanagement.
                        Oh I blame the FO, but the resentment of seeing him in the lineup when he is clearly past his "use by" date grew throughout last season regardless of whose "fault" it is.

Comment

Originally posted by philleotardo View Post
                          Oh hell, Kluber just signed with the Rays.
                          I posted a few days ago that he might be one of the best values on the free agent market and would be a good re-sign for us if we are going to sign a SP (I don't think we need one).

Comment

Originally posted by Yankyfan View Post
                            One of My SWB group keeps telling us we are bringing back Tanaka....Seeing Kluber to the Rays makes me think he might be right? Thought for sure Blake would bring Kluber back..
                            Who would you rather spend $8M-$13M on - Tanaka or Kluber?

Who's more likely to throw 140 innings?

Between the two I'd have to think Tanaka is more of a certainty.

I'd still rather spend $20M on Rodon (2yrs/$40M) or trade for Sean Manaea

By spending $$ on Rodon, they might be able to keep German or use him in a different trade package.

It's also possible they could trade for Manaea and sign Tanaka.

Cole-Manaea-Severino-Tanaka-Taillon-Montgomery seems like a pretty strong rotation compared to Cole-Rodon-Severino-Taillon-Montgomery-German.

Severino, Tanaka and Taillon would all benefit from a 6-man rotation IMO.

In either rotation the 6 starters should be able to go 900 innings in 2022.
                            "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by matt2351 View Post

And this is by their own design. They have communicated to their fanbase (and all potential new fans) that they are a unique entity in MLB. They have heavily marketed their 27 championships and made it core to their brand identity. They not only communicate their unique history to the public, but also how this unique history informs the way they operate. They continually repeat the old stanza about expecting championships every season. Hal (unconvincingly in my estimation) communicates these things whenever he is interviewed. When these things are repeatedly conveyed to fans and those in the process of becoming fans (mostly at a very young age) it then forms part of the basis of this relationship - it is de facto an agreement upon which said fandom is contingent. Again, this isn't about spoiled fans. This is about a sustained marketing and communications program undertaken by the organization itself over many decades.

When the organization then acts in ways seen as antithetical to these communications and agreements, fans become upset - they feel they are being betrayed. I want to reiterate that being a fan is a relationship. For some folks it is one of the most intense relationships of their lives. Relationships have to work in two directions or they cease to properly function. For me (and seemingly for many other fans) the team is operating in ways that violate one of the tacit agreements upon which our fandom was forged and it is distressing.
                              Well said. 20 of the 27 championships came before Free Agency. Completely different rules for acquiring and retaining players.
                              Since the first Free Agent signing - 7.

They had a great 20th century. 21st century? We’ll see.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status...867097089?s=21

angles and reds talking Castillo but remain far apart

Comment

Working...
                                X