No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to predict that at some point we see the Yankees PR machine crank out a dual message portraying Cohen as reckless and profligate and also saying that the Steins don't have the deep pockets of Cohen - more or less trying to stake out the underdog terrain.

Comment

Why would you sign Simmons when you could have just kept Wade.

Comment

Originally posted by bomb View Post
        Why would you sign Simmons when you could have just kept Holder.
        Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Comment

The illusion of activity and progress.

Comment

Originally posted by matt2351 View Post

I am glad to see the Mets behaving like this.
            Agreed. If you're big market team, act like one. It's good for baseball.

Comment

• hhill
              hhill commented
              Editing a comment
              Just curious if you think big market teams acting that way is really good for baseball. I've been all over the country wrt baseball cities and invariably, the smaller market teams resent the big market teams, especially the Yankees and Red Sox. Spent 5 years in Michigan for school and there is no question of that dislike of the financial inequality.

Originally posted by matt2351 View Post
            I am going to predict that at some point we see the Yankees PR machine crank out a dual message portraying Cohen as reckless and profligate and also saying that the Steins don't have the deep pockets of Cohen - more or less trying to stake out the underdog terrain.
            I think they're going to over highlight the uncertainty of the CBA and use that as a crutch for not spending aggressively and hint at potential big money needed for Judge even though they probably won't (and probably shouldn't) extend him this offseason. We'll certainly get some kind of quote like the fully operational death star one to keep the fans hopeful while they use the lockout time to gradually lower expectations on what they will ultimately do.

Comment

Simmons is >>> Wade defensively. Sadly Wade is probably better offensively if you can believe that (I hardly believe I'm saying that about anyone).

Comment

Originally posted by jnewmark View Post

Last year, the Mets had a 2021 payroll of $201 mil; didn't make the playoffs. In 2019, the Cubs had a 221 mil payroll, didn't make the playoffs. It happens.
                After 2021, the Mets fired their GM. After 2019, the Cubs moved to a new President as well.

You've only strengthened my point.

Comment

Originally posted by primetime714 View Post

Simmons is >>> Wade defensively. Sadly Wade is probably better offensively if you can believe that (I hardly believe I'm saying that about anyone).
                  This is true but they could have just kept Kyle Holder and saved some money if the plan was to go the run prevention route at SS.
                  David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
                    So damn predictable. I won't comment further as it will very likely get me banned:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yankees are among teams to check in on Andrelton Simmons. They’ve always liked the defensive whiz.</p>&mdash; Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1465324054357987331?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                    I think we all saw this coming. Their offseason is going to consist of signing Simmons and Gardner, adding a first baseman either through trade or a Rizzo signing (but only if his price is right), and tendering Gary Sanchez a contract. So essentially the same team that lost the wild card game last year + Simmons.
                    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Comment

If the Yankees don’t do anything significant before the lockout which many believe will last until February, that means for a couple of months heading into next season all of the buzz in NY will be about the Mets.

Comment

Are chicken buckets better at Yankee Stadium or new Shea?
                        Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Comment

At least 1 NY team spent money. Not that i wanted Max at that money as he pitches in the NL so let him stay there. But the Yankees need a Robbie Ray type to go along with Cole. They have 2 days to do something and they better or the press will be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyWilliams View Post
                            At least 1 NY team spent money. Not that i wanted Max at that money as he pitches in the NL so let him stay there. But the Yankees need a Robbie Ray type to go along with Cole. They have 2 days to do something and they better or the press will be bad.
                            Scherzer is exactly the type of SP you want to slot in at #2 for the remainder of Cole’s prime.

“Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Comment

Originally posted by ojo View Post

Scherzer is exactly the type of SP you want to slot in at #2 for the remainder of Cole’s prime.
                              Yup. Especially for only 3 years.

Scherzer and Marte would fill two HUGE holes for the Yankees and both are on short term deals. With Cole, Stanton, DJLM, and Judge (if you want to assume he is staying) all signed for at least 5 years and all on the wrong side of 30, getting people on short deals is huge.

Comment

Working...
                              X