No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already posted my feeling on replacing Sanchez (top priority) and now I see Robbie Ray (LHP my 2nd priority) going to SEA. Everybody compares him to Corbin (ARI LHP). He had one bad year and the other year he was hurt. The fact is WAS won the WS on pitching and he played a big part. The point was Brian would not go the extra year and we ended up with Happ. How did that work out? So the comp is Corbin or Happ because you (the posts) don't know what Roy will do. I expect Corbin to be a good #3, Ray to have a winning record, and Happ (#4) somewhere. I don't follow SEA but they traded Paxton to us and he was never healthy and started out slow, and went with Kubischi(sp). That was a risk like Igawa not Ray.... BOS did great with Evoladi and that was a bigger risk. I think Brian should have sign Ray to be between Cole (RHP #1) and Sevy (#3) then Monty (#4) because he is LHP. 23M/5 is not bad for a cy young winner.

Comment

Originally posted by ymike673 View Post
      Very good chance we see that attendance drop starting this season. Don't see how bringing back the 2021 Yankees is going to really excite the fans.
      Very good chance we see it go up (greatly). They drew less than 2M in 2021.

I'm of the belief that they're not bringing back the 2021 roster.

Lots of time to make all the right moves. Things are a bit crazy right now.
      "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

Really, this is such a great analogy.

Hal is inflicting permanent damage to the Yankees brand as well as his father's legacy.

And the actions of today will be reflected in the next generation of baseball fans in this city.

When the Mets begin winning championships while the Yankees do their annual one-and-done playoff appearance, the Mets will own this city and become the preferred destination of every great free agent. Hal's Yankees will become a bloated afterthought.

Yankees are being completely shut out of this offseason by their apathy and arrogance. They're literally killing my passion for this team.
        Hal has never seen a time where the team name wasn't enough to fill the seats and takes it for granted.
        Q: Who’s the guy on your roster that would have been overlooked if not for analytics? Cashman: Ronald Torreyes. He’s an analytical darling.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post
          Has Stanton's contract ever looked more attractive?

You got Semien and Seager both going to the Rangers. Teams unable to compete for Correa. Does Gleyber's value increase?

Anyone want Chapman? Re-coup what you can for Gallo. You don't want him long term and you aren't competing.

If you aren't going to spend your way out of bad decisions, then go all the way in on the rebuild.
          The Dodgers only offer the reset button service to the Red Sox.

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

Dodgers just lost Scherzer and Seager. Hal may as well instruct Cashman to call them and offer Cole and/or Stanton. See what they’re willing to give you. May as well begin pawning off their assets since they don’t want to spend anymore.
            Oops. That joke was meant for this reply. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

Very good chance we see it go up (greatly). They drew less than 2M in 2021.

I'm of the belief that they're not bringing back the 2021 roster.

Lots of time to make all the right moves. Things are a bit crazy right now.
              Last year was a covid aberation. How about a drop in attendance compared to the last full non restricted season. 2019.

Comment

So, does Correa sign tomorrow ?
                More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPickle View Post
                  Has Stanton's contract ever looked more attractive?

You got Semien and Seager both going to the Rangers. Teams unable to compete for Correa. Does Gleyber's value increase?

Anyone want Chapman? Re-coup what you can for Gallo. You don't want him long term and you aren't competing.

If you aren't going to spend your way out of bad decisions, then go all the way in on the rebuild.
                  Selling, at this point, would be much better than standing pat with this misshapen team.
                  Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Comment

Cashman is in his “outthink everyone” era. We are in trouble!! https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...gde-story.html

Comment

Originally posted by jnewmark View Post
                      So, does Correa sign tomorrow ?
                      You can bet Cashman's in an anxious state tonight, communicating the same to Hal. So Correa's not out of the question, with Volpe et al. going to Oakland for Olson. The only problem: Gardner remains.

Comment

Originally posted by newhampfan View Post

You can bet Cashman's in an anxious state tonight, communicating the same to Hal. So Correa's not out of the question, with Volpe et al. going to Oakland for Olson. The only problem: Gardner remains.
                        He's gonna want 40 mil a year, the way things are going.
                        More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

Comment

Originally posted by hhill View Post
                          I'm kind of torn. I'm resigning Judge whether they add anyone or not. He is the face of the franchise and a lot of fun to watch.
                          We have, how many? 27 WS titles. We're not entitled. We've had more than our share.

Yankees have spent and spent and spent...sometimes wisely and sometimes not. There is no guarantee on some of these guys.

Maybe they have a lot of faith in thei nfield guys coming up, perhaps this year.
                          Perhaps they sign Correa...it's not my money.

In the final analysis , if Cashman screws up the works and they finish 4th and fans stop coming he will be gone or the team will be sold.

If fans want answers today, that is impossible to give. Patience is required.
                          And fans have spent and spent and spent. Industry leading revenues. If they can win without spending, great. But it's not like they should view it like some act of grace to their fans. They spend so that we spend by a factor of x. If they can put an entertaining product on the field at higher profit margins, more power to them. But when they sacrifice the product for profit margins, I lose interest - ESPECIALLY when the team is as dull as it was in '21.

Comment

• hhill
                            hhill commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'll lose interest as well as you so instead of attending 5 games during the season I'll go with my son to 1 or 2.
                            Every game is televised and I wont make a point of watching every game if there is something else to do.

Maybe I'm not the biggest Yankee fan in the world as I also love my college sports team (football and basketball) plus there is a lot to do in the city.

I like this board especially during the season when strategy and games are discussed in real time.
                            However, I am not going to lose sleep if management continues to falter. In the end, there will be another cycle and in the meantime life will still be good.

Originally posted by sjb23 View Post

Do you give him more than 6 years? More than $180M/$30M AAV ?

I think I draw a line in the sand right there. The man says he wants to be a Yankee.
                          If you're talking an extension, absolutely. Even if you're talking after his deal, absolutely. Barring any catastrophic injury or unexpected drop in production, he'll almost certainly get much more than that. He'll be entering his age 31 season when he hits FA, but assuming he keeps cranking out 6 WAR-ish seasons in '22 / '23 and there isn't some massive shift in spending by MLB clubs, my guess is he'll get a deal >$250MM, probably 8 years minimum. And the Yankees should go there, perhaps with an opt out after 3 years to see if they can get another 3 prime seasons and let someone else pay for his twilight years.

People say they want to be a Yankee, but that doesn't mean they're going to leave tens of millions of dollars on the table to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ymike673 View Post

Very good chance we see that attendance drop starting this season. Don't see how bringing back the 2021 Yankees is going to really excite the fans.
                            My fandom started with some lean times. After 2 or 3 good seasons from '84 - '86, with exciting players like Mattingly, Henderson, Winfield, Guidry, Righetti, and interesting (sometimes maddening) back page stories, the first decade of being a fan was pretty miserable. Obviously that started to turn in '94. But even in the late 80's and early 90's, the team was interesting. The owner could drive you mad but you knew he was as intense about winning as you were as a fan. Even in the early 10's after the core effectively disintegrated, to me the team was still watchable.

2021 was the first season where I wasn't planning my time with Yankee baseball in mind. It had nothing to do with their W/L record. I've rooted for losing Yankee teams. It had everything to do with being a poorly constructed roster led by a GM that has gone hostile on his fans, a field manager that has the personality of a sack of potatoes, a lack of star players with NYC-sized personalities, and a lack of really any intrigue whatsoever. You knew what was going to happen in specific games, you knew what was going to happen at the deadline, and most knew that they'd be destined for WC2 with immediate elimination. Just zero intrigue.

If they return the same team next year, it could get ugly.

Comment

Kirby Yates will be 35, didn’t pitch in ‘21, barely pitched in ‘20- got 2/8.5. Got to be a nice market for Green.

Comment

Working...
                              X