No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically it comes down to players percentage of revenues as expressed in salary and benefits has fallen from around 55% in 2003 to around 42% now. There was a great graph that I saw yesterday. Possibly on 538, I’m not sure. It had to do with MLB revenue sharing creating a disincentive for both high and low spenders to increase payrolls.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
      Basically it comes down to players percentage of revenues as expressed in salary and benefits has fallen from around 55% in 2003 to around 42% now. There was a great graph that I saw yesterday. Possibly on 538, I’m not sure. It had to do with MLB revenue sharing creating a disincentive for both high and low spenders to increase payrolls.
      FYI. (graph) I think this is what you are referring to. Bring back the old days. Revenue Sharing IS KILLING BASEBALL. It does not work. Small teams depend on it so they don't spend. It kills Yankees and all fans. I think there was an idea of dropping some teams (maybe 3) that didn't spend but I am probably wrong because long time ago.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...haring-system/

Comment

Originally posted by bucky View Post

FYI. (graph) I think this is what you are referring to. Bring back the old days. Revenue Sharing IS KILLING BASEBALL. It does not work. Small teams depend on it so they don't spend. It kills Yankees and all fans. I think there was an idea of dropping some teams (maybe 3) that didn't spend but I am probably wrong because long time ago.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...haring-system/
        Yeah that was the graph I saw. Probably the article too, thx.
        Baseball is life;
        the rest is just details.

Comment

Originally posted by HelloNewman View Post
          I mostly agree with you but just a point of order, 40 years ago? The 1994-95 stoppage wiped out the 1994 WS and the 1995 ST.

I initially thought maybe late April or early May for Opening Day but I think I'm in your camp now. They were greedy enough to turn a potential 114 game season into a 60 game season in the Covid summer of 2020 when the country was starving for sports and they could have ruled the sports world for a few months. And since that 60-game McNugget season didn't crush their revenue streams, I doubt they've learned anything.

Totally pulling this out of my butt but I'm thinking July 4-ish for opening day now. And of course they will come in with flags flying and bands playing and tell us how lucky we are that the Great American Game is returning on the Great American Holiday
          I am sorry i meant this looks to me just like the one listed below. I listed on the radio everyday hoping and look how long it took. This seems to me the same as this one.

1981 strike

What happened: This was ugly. Owners were prepared to dig in, and players were not remotely ready to back down after their gains in recent years. When an agreement on free-agent compensation (not money, but what was given to teams who lost free agents) couldn't be reached, the owners implemented a plan that called for any team who signed a free agent to relinquish a roster player and a draft pick in return.

The MLBPA went on strike after games on June 11 and games didn't resume until Aug.10. For the only time in MLB history, playoff teams were decided by first-half and second-half division champions. And like in 1972, teams didn't play an even number of games. The result was messy. Really, really messy.

Think about this: The Reds and Cardinals finished with the two best overall winning percentages in the National League (.611 and .578, respectively), but neither of those teams actually made the playoffs. Cincinnati and St. Louis both finished second in their division in both the first half AND the second half, and because overall record meant nothing in 1981, they were out in the cold. Cardinals fans, especially, had a right to be steamed. In the second half, the Expos played one more game than the Cardinals and finished 30-23; St. Louis was 29-23 and missed out by a half-game.

Comment

I think revenue sharing amongst the teams is necessary but needs to be scrubbed down a bit - i.e., a team shouldn't be able to continuously get it if they can't prove it's going back into the ML team payroll - not player development or other parts of the business. And an organization shouldn't be able to collect more than two years in a row.

The players' union should get a percentage of a new revenue sharing plan also, IMO. If they got this - they could brag about winning the negotiations, and everything would get settled.

On a separate note, I've been thinking all this time that for all we know the owners may be struggling internally to all be on the same page re: the CBT - big market vs. small market, ceiling and/or floor on payroll - this might be the biggest holdup, and we don't even know it.
            "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by ymike673 View Post

But Roy mentioned a press conference to announce a delay in spring training followed by a season delay. 1972 spring training started on time. The strike came towards the end of spring training. 1981 the strike did not start until mid June. So I can't really understand what season Roy is talking about.
              Yeah i forgot the one in 1981 was a strike but it still seems the same as then both sides not willing to give in.

Comment

Rip Ice!!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyWilliams View Post

I am sorry i meant this looks to me just like the one listed below. I listed on the radio everyday hoping and look how long it took. This seems to me the same as this one.

1981 strike

What happened: This was ugly. Owners were prepared to dig in, and players were not remotely ready to back down after their gains in recent years. When an agreement on free-agent compensation (not money, but what was given to teams who lost free agents) couldn't be reached, the owners implemented a plan that called for any team who signed a free agent to relinquish a roster player and a draft pick in return.

The MLBPA went on strike after games on June 11 and games didn't resume until Aug.10. For the only time in MLB history, playoff teams were decided by first-half and second-half division champions. And like in 1972, teams didn't play an even number of games. The result was messy. Really, really messy.

Think about this: The Reds and Cardinals finished with the two best overall winning percentages in the National League (.611 and .578, respectively), but neither of those teams actually made the playoffs. Cincinnati and St. Louis both finished second in their division in both the first half AND the second half, and because overall record meant nothing in 1981, they were out in the cold. Cardinals fans, especially, had a right to be steamed. In the second half, the Expos played one more game than the Cardinals and finished 30-23; St. Louis was 29-23 and missed out by a half-game.
                  I might have felt a little sorry for the Cardinals back then but it did turn out to be the only year that Expos fans got to see their team play postseason games. Especially considering how royally screwed the Expos fans ended up being in 1994.

Comment

Sad to see Gerald Williams passed away at only 55 years old. Cancer sucks. RIP to a guy I remember for some reason gave Randy Johnson fits.

Comment

Originally posted by Mixwell View Post
                      Sad to see Gerald Williams passed away at only 55 years old. Cancer sucks. RIP to a guy I remember for some reason gave Randy Johnson fits.
                      Made a great catch in the first inning of Gooden's no hitter.

Comment

Originally posted by JDPNYY View Post
                        Another summer of Netflix, Hulu, AppleTV+, HBO Max and Amazon Prime. Sigh.
                        Just heard Prime is going up soon. Coincidentally, they are increasingly executive payroll.

Comment

Originally posted by Mixwell View Post

It's easier for the Dodgers to build up their farm system because they always draft so high.

- Brian Cashman
                          They also prospect hug, they don't make big deadline deals either.

Oh yea and blame the players, not the process.

Comment

Originally posted by primetime714 View Post

They also prospect hug, they don't make big deadline deals either.

Oh yea and blame the players, not the process.
                            I need a job where my process is unquestioned regardless of (lack of) results

Comment

Weather man?

Comment

Originally posted by Obnoxio View Post

Just heard Prime is going up soon. Coincidentally, they are increasingly executive payroll.
                                Netflix also increased their price Such is the way of world. We have Amazon for a few reasons and then rotate other streaming services on and off on a monthly basis. One of the nice things about streaming you can subscribe, unsubscribe, and then resubscribe monthly at will. So we watch what's on one service then cancel and subscribe to another. Seems to work for us
                                You wanna know what? You gotta problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate

Comment

Working...
                                X